Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Great Stuff Foam In Hull.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Great Stuff Foam In Hull.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:19 AM
mutantsquirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Stuff Foam In Hull.

i got a aquacraft V24 gas powered boat. i recently flipped it over in the water and it bobbed nose up for a few hours before i got to it. i had to replace the reciever and servos cause water got into the radio box........well i put great stuff foam in the hull to keep the back end from sinking just in case it happens again.
would this severly effect the way the boat handles?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: Great Stuff Foam In Hull.

I seriously doubt it. That "stuff" practically has no weight. Has been known to split the seam of the hull if improperly used however.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My advice would be to pull it out ASAP. Great Stuff kills boats. It has a tendency to warp your hull, will swell in seams splitting the hull, and over time it will absorb water (adding considerably weight). Every hull I have ever purchased that has any in it has had an issue as a result of it. If anything. Put a couple of empty 2 liter soda bottles in the front and just a dash of that spray foam just to hold the bottles in place (and keep them from moving relative to one another).
Old 02-28-2010, 11:14 AM
mutantsquirl

there is regular boat foam in the front. i just put a little bit in the back to keep the back from sinking if it flips over. and i put a small coat of campdry over the foam. i tested out a chunk of it with and without the campdry.  without the campdry it does soak up a little bit of water. but not that much. and with the campdry it does not. i think ill be good as far as soaking up water will go.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Pool noodles! That's all that I use in my gas boats.
Great Stuff will keep expanding for a while after you think that it's done. It will soak up water, oil and fuel.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Justaddwata

It soaks a little today - it will soak more tomorrow

If you are securing foam with it then I would say like I did with the bottles - use as little as possible and use it like an adhesive. The more you add - the bigger the problems. I recommend doing what 99% of people do and use pool noodles - they will fit in all kinds of places (cut them to fit if needed). Also remember to add some to the hatch.

This hull has spray foam in the nose and is all kinds of distorted as a result. Keep in mind also the WHH G has at least 2 or 3 times the thickness of fiberglass as the V24 has.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Dan S

+1000 on the pool noodle.
99.5% of us is all we use.

Dan.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:39 PM
mutantsquirl

if the pool noodles are foam wouldnt they hold water and what not also? and how would i get the secure inside the hull and easily take them out to dry?
Old 02-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: mutantsquirl

if the pool noodles are foam wouldnt they hold water and what not also? and how would i get the secure inside the hull and easily take them out to dry?
Noodles are closed cell foam and a much more flexible/forgiving foam. Never had to remove any to have them dry. Using cable ties to secure them is popular though many just wedge them in place. Keep them clear of exhaust.
Noodles are available in a multitude of colors so easy to mix and match.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Paul M

The thing I like about noodles is that they are cheap and can easily be replaced after they get nasty with oil and lake water. 2 is a plenty to keep most boats from going to Davey Jones' locker

Even though I have it at work and could get it for free, I would never use the 2 part foam for the reasons others have mentioned.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd never use spray in foam after buying a hull that had it and a 2 litre bottle in the bow.The bow was split open on both sides and there's ripples on the deck near the bow.It took me hours to just get the bottle out then had to dig out almost all of the foam.I added pool noodles to the front of the boat and will put some in the rear as soon as I get it done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49068.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1388844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35917.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1388845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84638.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1388846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fy71912.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1388847  
Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 PM
mutantsquirl

holy crap man. did you buy it used or from a store? i think ill take the foam out and put noodles in there. i didnt think it would do that kind of damage.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can take a hand-held propane torch and seal the ends if you want on the pool noodles.
What's cool is that you can find a big variety of colors and shapes. I got some octagonal ones last fall and have seen some that look like daisies from the end. I passed on those.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:08 AM
MrMikeG

2 part foam works good and won't absorb water or fuel. Spray can foam is not 2 part foam. 2 part foam won't continue to expand in hot weather, spray can foam will. The biggest secret to 2 part foam is to put it where it has room to expand the first time, like don't pour it in the nose where it is trapped on 3 sides. A small bead down the seam will greatly strengthen a hull as well! I use it on all my hatches too. Pool noodles in the hull though.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mutantsquirl,I'm the third owner of the hull and somewhere along the way someone put that in there as well as putting homade hardware on the transom without reinforcing it with plywood.Also they didn't put any engine rails in the hull.The hull outside had chips and scratches from moving it around.When I saw the pics in the original add for the hull on RCG, it didn't show any damage and I wonder if the heat buildup in the shipping truck from CA to PA caused the foam to expand and cause the damage.It's a shame because these 54"AMPS International Hobbies hulls are scarce,with one showing up once in a while on ebay.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30469.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1389151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64247.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1389152  
Old 03-01-2010, 07:39 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bow of that enforcer reminds me of the old cat i have sat here Mat,it too got sucked in and distorted by expanding foam.I plan to remodel the top deck and play arround with it and come up with a nice cat but its amazing the damage that stuff caused,its taken a lot of filler to fill the deck to get it back to shape .I would do as has been suggested and remove that foam and use poole noodles .I just read what Mike said and all i can say is the guy i got the cat off told me he used 2 part foam and it distorted this cat hull a lot,why i dont know.
Mart
Old 03-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Kornlives

I found that these work real well for the front with zero weight and you can get them in all shapes and sizes long and short as you can see. I just blow them up with a straw to the size i want and melt the hole shut. They don't move around and you can find them in real thick plastic as well for added strength.
Later
Korn.....

Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
misshydro

I've used the foam insilation ,the stuff they used on the out side of houses before they put alum or vinyl siding over it..works great.. no open cells to catch/trap any water..you can cut it to any size and shape you want,,you can even use that to make your fiberglass template or modes with too.dont care for pool noddles eighter..can trap water too,but not as much as spray foam does..
Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 PM
mutantsquirl

im gonna start taking that "stuff" out tomorrow. i hope i didnt mess anything up in there.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Kornlives

If you spray the pool noodles with a silicone spray they will not hold the water at all the water want even stick to them. Also you can use a spray of Armour All it works good to or a wax spray from a auto parts store these are all good ways to keep the boat afloat and keep the water off of them try it. Spray test it watch the water fall off..
Later
Korn....
Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 PM
mutantsquirl

ill try to find some pool noodles tomorrow. any easy way to get the "stuff" out?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Kornlives

You could try a long sharp knife to cut it up and pull it out some. It want cut through the hull its going to take some time that stuff sticks real well.. Hope this helps you.
Later
Korn.....
Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 AM
misshydro

ya go spray armour al or any silicon spray on your boats.. if they ever need to repainted good luck with them comming out good,,your going to have tons of fish eyes in your paint job..see that happend to many times..
Old 03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Kornlives

You would spray the noodles before you put them in or near the boat!!! They will need to dry thoroughly as with any other sealer you apply. Common Sense... you need to get all sides cant see that being done if there still in the boat...
Later
Korn...
Old 03-02-2010, 12:44 PM
mutantsquirl

kinda stuck at the house today, my youngest daughter is sick. anyone know if wal-mart has the pool noodles out yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.