Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Need info on Blata or Polini motors and MHZ or replica drives???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Need info on Blata or Polini motors and MHZ or replica drives???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 PM
wannagofast115

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info on Blata or Polini motors and MHZ or replica drives???

Hey everyone I just baught a new boat its a big apache and was wondering does anyone know were I can buy a blata or Polini or clone motors? Also I saw the MHZ s6 drives they look awesome but cost an arm and leg was wondering if anyone knows any replica drives like those or any type that are similar? I will be posting all info and pics of the boat next week when i get it just wanted to start doing some research early. Thanks everyone.
Scott
Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM
apache 1

Default RE: Need info on Blata or Polini motors and MHZ or replica drives???

Hi Scott. So you got your 57in apache. Which one did you get ? I've been putting off the exact same build for a while as I do research on these items. My hull is the capricorn version,wich lends itself well to the big blata engine, (6in rail spacing). Mhz sells the blata 39 with 6in mounts. The drives look like a great idea, but they're really expensive and look like a lot of weight. I too would like to see some reviews of them. I don't think the stearable outdrives that have the cable being twisted aroundgood. Our mates in Australia seem to have a beed on a blata clone, Viper hulls I think is the name.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 AM
wannagofast115

Hey apache 1 no I ended up getting a really good deal on a 65" Ballantine hull. It will be shipped tomorrow and I will have it this up coming week sometine. So im gunna need something big and something with alot of torque to push it. The rails on this thing i think are spaced at 8" apart. Good luck on with your build. Thanks
Scott
Old 04-11-2010, 12:25 PM
rcguy1411

if you want a blata or pollini try a mini bike shop ive seen the clones for about $ 200.00 to $ 350.00 then you will have to make a engine mount i have the same hull you are getting and was thinking about the same power options i have a mhz s6 drive on my 57 inch capricorn apache they are reaally nice drives . For the polini youwill also have to make a custom exhaust mhz dose have them but once againe big $$$$ the good thing about the pollini is they use a m8 bolt into the crank and you can get couplers theat will bolt right up with my set up i was going to use the pollini with a mhz gearbox to get counter rotating props with a pair of Piranha drives with a speedmaster ruder with this setup im looking 50 mph range
Old 04-11-2010, 12:54 PM
wannagofast115

rcguy1411 that sounds like a nice setup i think im going to the same thing with the gearbox to get counter rotating props. As for the motors I would like to get a genuine blata or polini but i dont know about doing a clone because ive been doing some research and it seems like the clones are only making about 6hp until you mod them up. i would like to be in the 14hp range like with the genuine blata. I dont know maybe Ill see how the new rcmk inlines are when they come out? I just like the idea of a big single power plant and just tuning one motor.Thanks
Scott
Old 04-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For the best performing budget friendly option a single motor, single strut setup is hands down easiest, better for maintainance, and probably fastest. You can upgrade that with a nice drive (like the WD200 - http://www.wd200-modellbau.de/?Antri...kbarer_Antrieb or similar) and so on.

A blata clone might make in the order of 6hp out of the box though the mods needed to increase that significantly are not major (genuine reeds, carb). A genuine Blata will set you back over $1000 + pipe. A clone will be a fraction of that. With some modification you might even be able to adapt a clone pipe to fit the hull.

Beyond this everything else is a big $$$ upgrade

A counter rotating gearbox is $400 (plus additional drive & prop). This is not going to increase speeds but may balance out any prop torque and possibly look a little better.

Consider also - a single sterndrive is probably going to be maxed out running a single blata, polini, or inline. It may work - but for how long?? Twin stern drives will tack on $1400+ to your transom (drives and box).

For my money I would stick with a single prop on a nice arneson drive style setup being powered by a clone. You will have more fun on the water and have enough $$ left over to build a second boat

Old 04-11-2010, 02:22 PM
wannagofast115

justadwatta your probably right ill end up going with clone and mod it as i go. Doyou think that motor will get this boat into 40's? I dont need a speed demon its going to be a boat made for running in rough water but if it does hit the calm water i would like it to 40+. Also I saw in a old post that you dont like using the buit in water pump on the blata any reason why? And also I really like that steerable drive system how much do they run and is there a company in the US that makes them? And i already have a second boat but thinking of selling it to get the build on this boat moving faster lol. Thanks
Scott
Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 PM
viperhulls

This is just my 2 cents worth, i have played with Blata's quite alot and in my experiance the water pumps are good for a short time only as the bearings and seal are not that good. Once the seals start to leak the bearing locks up. they also rob horse power. just remove the impellor and seal the hole and run a twin water pick up in the rudder and join both into one and then to the motor, this is more than enough water. I have also removed the clutch as at 18000 rpm they have a tenancy to slip and also adds extra weight. Also if you are going to run a replica remove the wrist pin bearing a replace it with a genuine one or the motor will be spiting out parts of the casing that houses the needle rollers. The best hp you will get out of a replica is 12 hp and the engine wont last long before it starts to brake cranks and so on. Do yourself a favour and buy genuine. I rev my own genuine blata to 19000 with no problems. I also have 3 replicas in stock with 47cc big bore kits if you are interested. Check out this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utol_HsYeTA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80444.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1416541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75574.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1416542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38021.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1416543  
Old 04-11-2010, 09:56 PM
viperhulls

This version is the bees knees. This is a BZM/Blata 50cc engine which has been rated at 16hp, don't know about that but it does have slightly more power than the 50cc Blata. I am running a slightly smaller prop but more rpm which tends to suit this engine better, so far 100 km/hr out of it. You will also notice no clutch and no water pump.

Name:	Xj23626.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1416550   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43863.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	1416551  
Old 04-11-2010, 10:36 PM
wannagofast115

Viperhulls those are some nice setups. The motor gets enough water with out a pump just going to from the rudder strate to the motor? I would love to have a genuine blata but there a little out of my price range lol. I am going to try and do a nice a and clean scale look but on a budget for the most part i will shell the most money for the motor and drives though I would love to get the mhz s6 drives but i dont think that will happen lol so im going to be looking for a decent set of steerable drives. Thanks
Scott
Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 AM
rcguy1411

try this site for scale drives [link]http://www.wd200-modellbau.de/?HOME[/link]they have some neat drives that will still give you the scale look that you are after also you can get the RCMK s in left and right hand rotation for around $ 350.00 each if you are intersted in twins i have found one thing out in rc boating scale cost $$$$ the other ting is its hard to stay on budget good luck in your build a pic of my Ballintine hull

Name:	Nk28086.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1416694  
Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 PM
wannagofast115

Thanks rcguy1411 Ya ive noticed the scale look is going to expensive looks like i would end up spending more on the actual drives than the blata motor and thats with motor being shipped from AU lol.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:09 AM
viperhulls

This is one of my 57 inch Apache's that I have been working on from time to time, it's not finished yet but maybe this week. The hull is reinforced with core mat to take the weight.

Name:	Ki19297.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1417279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58762.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1417280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51098.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1417281  
Old 04-13-2010, 04:56 AM
MrMikeG

Hey Tony, are you still running 1/4" flex cables?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
viperhulls

Hi Mike, on the blata engines i run 5/16 cables and a 5/16 strut and bushes and then step down to 1/4 to run the standard drive dog and props. It works really well. I also make the differant collets to suit the 5/16 cable.

Cheers Tony
Old 11-30-2015, 11:41 PM
geraldbeech

hi im from south africa and would like to buy a blata where can i buy one thanks
Old 12-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Blatas are Italian - you may need to hunt down a dealer. MHZ used to carry them but I believe they only handle clones now.. There are plenty of clone motors coming from China. Only way I was able to get the motors I wanted was to buy the complete pocket bikes and sell off the rolling chassis.