Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

falcon hull build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

falcon hull build

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 PM
apache 56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default falcon hull build

hi guys im just starting to put togeater a 41 falcon ive seen lots of people runn them so i picked one up and just going to give one a go .
im just seeing what standof and depth for rudder you guys are finding best on these hulls ive got a topsecret skeg stut for it.
just going to set it up for fun and see what speed we can get out of it ill just be running a omin ive already got siting around. or a older mod head ive had that didnt work in my larger boat but my come to life in a smaal lite hull.

also i see you guys are running the 2716 abc props , ive used other abc props for my larger hulls and thay work well. what idd like to know the best suted prop for this boat as i see bruce at gizmo has 4 or more types of this prop . what is for what..??

abc , H-2716/2 ?
' , 2716/2 - 15*rake.
' , 2716/2 - 20*rake
2717/2 - 17 rake.
just drying to work out the difrences of rake , i beleave it has to do with lift or ?.
but just like to see what may work best for this hull, i know the prop would have to be modded also . so i like to get a cupple to see .
Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 AM
scooter666

Default RE: falcon hull build

The more pitch, the less lift you will get!!!!!! Ive been trying a few different props on my falcon, without any great speed records, 55 mph, But im waiting on a ABC 2716 20* to try.. From reading and talking to others on the forum this is the ideal prop for this boat.(hull). Good luck with your new build and keep the posts coming...Lets show the world what us ozzies are capable of doing...lol

Cheers Scooter
Old 04-20-2010, 07:05 AM
MsDarla

Ask Ron Olson from this forum.
He has one

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9654028/tm.htm
Old 04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Paul M

My best speed was 71 with a round tip 2716/2 15 degree rake from Dasboata.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:33 AM
apache 56

ORIGINAL: Paul M

My best speed was 71 with a round tip 2716/2 15 degree rake from Dasboata.

cheers paul , what mod were dont to the prop or was it just a standared moded dasboata prop.
im just trying to find as meany pics of set up as pos . so i can set this one up just right . whyll im awaiting for the next build. or should i say rebuild on one of my apache`s and a BIGER hart in it [:-],not long now. what month are we in now ,mmmmmmmm...
Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM
gtdad

check up on painman's threads also....he did a thread on here a while back about the falcon and has a pretty good set up as I recall
Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Paul M

Nothing special on the prop. I was running a QDHT. The hulls are very fast, It likes for you to run the strut deep - level with the bench - with a little negative. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine
Old 06-21-2010, 09:03 PM
apache 56

finaly got it out for its fist run, thay seem to be a great hull. went ok for its fist run . well i thort it went well. hard to tell seeing its been so long since running a cat. i think 2+ years since having a cat on the water..and then that was only a cupple times.....
but the carb woulnt shut down so i hogged the lake . till it ran out of fuel... time for a smaller gas bag..haha 400mls goes a long way in a small lite hull..haha..
but ill like to try to work on set up on this hull next time out . realy just ran it and didnt change much . i probly will muck around with strut settings next time out. add a little neg- i think keep the nose down. and look into a better pipe... still waiting for my qd hot pipe to get welded up . and a mate recomeds adding some lead to the left front same as thay runn in there conquest cats.....so ill try that to..for turning back end spun out a cupple times. looked like right front dives in under turn somtimes. in choppy water.
but it seems to go well . .
Old 06-21-2010, 11:17 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Like Darla said, I've got one but then again it seems to be a popular Cat hull on this site. Mine hasn't seen as much water as I'd like though as I've got a small pile of props to test on it.
Last fall I dropped an RCMK Evo in her yet it ran OK with just the S-254 I want to make this puppy fly some more. My first outtings were OK but I know that there's a lot more in it.
My goal is to make mine a nice heat racing boat so I have to hustle as I've already gotten it entered in a race.
Check out the one that Dan did a thread on: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9803409/tm.htm . Also, do a search for 41 Falcon or Falcon 41. The first should bypass the planes and buggies.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:53 AM
dicko

The JagCat is the same shape, but a stronger layup with more reinforcements. If you search on them you'll find some info too.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 AM
painman

I would start with the strut at 1 3/8" from bottom of sponsons to bottom of strut, netural, I run a skegged strut and seems to help with prop walk. I also run a 2716/2 20* prop that I modded, rounded tips and added lots of cup.
I tested and tested with the boat to milk all I could and with the Zen.260 again one of the motors I modded, thanks to Scott, I was able to run 64.9 was my best. I have started working with a couple of Hydro, working to keep them from blowing over.
The 64.9 gps was with full cowl, I have thought about cutting it all up and venting more air just havn't forced my self to cut.
Good Luck, have fun;
Randy
Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
apache 56

ORIGINAL: dicko

The JagCat is the same shape, but a stronger layup with more reinforcements. If you search on them you'll find some info too.

yep, this has extra glass lad in it .,
Old 06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
apache 56

ORIGINAL: painman

I would start with the strut at 1 3/8'' from bottom of sponsons to bottom of strut, netural, I run a skegged strut and seems to help with prop walk. I also run a 2716/2 20* prop that I modded, rounded tips and added lots of cup.
I tested and tested with the boat to milk all I could and with the Zen.260 again one of the motors I modded, thanks to Scott, I was able to run 64.9 was my best. I have started working with a couple of Hydro, working to keep them from blowing over.
The 64.9 gps was with full cowl, I have thought about cutting it all up and venting more air just havn't forced my self to cut.
Good Luck, have fun;
Randy

cheers randy mate there good fun. ive got a sked strut on it. with the boat say sitting on the table ive got the prop shaft or bottom of the suffing tube on the strut leval with the table so the bottom of the srrut hub sites on the tanle . and is leval with the bottom of the sponsons.... is that what you mean or are you running higher or lower??.
im running a 2716 20 rake . rounded ends. and had 3to 4 mm removed from the front ears... and sharpend and ballanced...
i gess ill try more next time out....
even may put the new evo that on the bar into to.. to see what that goes like in it ..
Old 06-22-2010, 02:04 PM
painman

Sorry, I posted 1 3/8, I am sure that the bottom of the Strut is 3/8" up from being flat with the bottom of the Sponsons. It has varied from a 1/4 to 3/8" up for the best Saw runs. I also have a 1/16" stainless knife blade for rudder and running a prop blast p/u made from brake line for more flow. I wish I could think of some of the other changes I have made to the boat, I did add some air vents on both sides of the cowl, just behind the carb and added a few on the top to allow air to flow out.
Still running full cowl, just can't seem to cut up, my boat can be seen on the Accu-Tech web site under cats, as i used there hardware on this build and was very happy with the service and the quality of the products.
If I can think of anything else I will repost, again the depth of the strut will depend a lot on what prop you will be running.
Good Luck;
Randy
Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 PM
apache 56

ORIGINAL: painman

Sorry, I posted 1 3/8, I am sure that the bottom of the Strut is 3/8'' up from being flat with the bottom of the Sponsons. It has varied from a 1/4 to 3/8'' up for the best Saw runs. I also have a 1/16'' stainless knife blade for rudder and running a prop blast p/u made from brake line for more flow. I wish I could think of some of the other changes I have made to the boat, I did add some air vents on both sides of the cowl, just behind the carb and added a few on the top to allow air to flow out.
Still running full cowl, just can't seem to cut up, my boat can be seen on the Accu-Tech web site under cats, as i used there hardware on this build and was very happy with the service and the quality of the products.
If I can think of anything else I will repost, again the depth of the strut will depend a lot on what prop you will be running.
Good Luck;
Randy

cheers randy, i was going to look at moving the trut up to help get the hull on the water more. also do yourun any lead weight in the front of the sponsons . to blance it out at all. talking to some guys that runn the conquest cats and thay run lead in the front left sponson. to hold the hull down in turns...
ill try running with the strut up some mor e. may helpe it get on the pipe faster. and now bog down as much... ive got full cowling with to slots cut in the front of cowl in front of motor and then rear is open for exaust to exit and cut out the front of the mounds towords the rear and on exaust side cut slotts along where the pipe runns....
, cheers
Old 06-26-2010, 08:58 PM
painman

Have never had to run any extra weight in the nose of the boat, have blown off a couple of times, so you have to drive when you start getting into the mid 60's hauling the mail, be on your toes. Make sure the cowl has flotation, as it has flown off also.
Good Luck
Randy
Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 PM
dicko

I ran my Jag cat for the first time yesterday. I cut the rudder too short & only ran it with one prop (P275) so when I turned too sharp it would spin out. I'll order a new longer rudder & try a lower lift prop next time out. The boat had a lot of top end speed though with the RCMK. I think once I get it set up right it will be a definite contender.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:05 AM
painman

Glad to hear you are liking your falcon, and is running good. Just put a GPS in the boat and see what she is doing. I cut a rudder to short and caused the boat to have prop walk, so I to had to get another. I am running Saw with a knife blade only 1/16" thick, no drag.
Good Luck;
Randy
Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 AM
dicko

I had zero prop walk issues & didn't bother with the GPS until I get the handling right. I'm setting this up for oval racing so I'm more concerned about stability in the corners right now. hopefully I'll have a chancenext weekend to do some more testing. I'll use the rudder off of another boat until I get a new one for this hull.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 AM
apache 56

hi guys just puttin in a new evo into my hull . and ive got a qd hot pipe .just welded up for it what lenth pipe do you recon to star with on that pipe on the evo.
i was going to start around 12-1/2 on lenth . and go from there till i work out what flex size/pipe lenth. .. i think ive seen the evo motors seem to like it pipe a bit shorter then the zenoah . but i gess just run it and see.........
Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 PM
apache 56

ORIGINAL: dicko

I ran my Jag cat for the first time yesterday. I cut the rudder too short & only ran it with one prop (P275) so when I turned too sharp it would spin out. I'll order a new longer rudder & try a lower lift prop next time out. The boat had a lot of top end speed though with the RCMK. I think once I get it set up right it will be a definite contender.

hi dicko,
you say you had truble with the hull spinning out if turned to sharp , im having the same issue , we ran on sunday on a realy tight turning lake. and yep if i went just a bit to hard to the right turn the boat would severly hook up and pritty much do a 90 to180 turn on the spot. . best thing most times it would stay up right and with the prop slip idd be able to throttle on coret and take of agan ,
at one stage when we had i think 5 or 6 boat on the lake at once . having an all out dash , a cupple cats ,a big apache . and one hydro. made for a fun avo ...and realy helped out with the driving skills.... but every now and then on a turn it would spin out at the rong time . some very close near misses...

but back to the spining out under to tight a turn . im going to look into doing what the guys do with there other cats and hydros . and try adding some balast to the left front sponson. im finding that when powering on the left front lifts up and its like if i power on to quick and turn to sharp it spinns out. its like the right front sponson is digging in holding the boat (if you know what i mean). and as the left sponson comes up it spins out. so im hoping adding wait to the left front it may settle the hull down and not spin out so much.. my rudder is 2-1/2+inch below the bottom of the hull ride pad. with a skek strut set up about 3/8 inch above ride pad. running a abc 2716-2 blade 20 rake cut down and rounded tips.
i have just put in a evo in it so was running it in well ran it pritty hrad after fist tank. , these seem like a good strong motor for a stock motor.. and it seamed to run ok from what i seen but its hard to tell. when driving it what speeds it doing...but idd prefer to get the handling right and worry about speed latter...
but i tell you what it was eyes wide open running on a small like with lots of boats and lots of boat wash tosing the boats around , what an adrenalin rush that was...
Old 07-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Ron Olson

The good news on mine. The RCMK S-254 is coming out and a RCMK rear exhaust is going in. That'll probably only stay in there until the JAE gas 'rigger is done which won't be until next year as that's going to be a winter project.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:55 PM
dicko

I haven't run mine since last time, but I'll be putting a longer rudder on it and trying a different (lower lift) prop before I add any weight to mine. I have it hauling in the straights, but I wan't it controlable & steady in the turns. I'll let you know how I go after I've done some more testing.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Ron Olson

I didn't drop the rear exhaust RCMKI into my Falcon 41 as it would have been a lot of hassle to convert everything over than pull it all out to have it go into my JAE gas 'rigger in a month or so. I did buy a Scott Schneider modded Evo though and that went in instead. I got to run it for a while today but was also getting some other boats going.
My son shot a brief video of it in action. At the very end you might hear a bad word coming out of my potty mouth as it may have hit a turtle and did an endo.
This thing was froggy! At low speed I squeezed the throttle had it jumped up out of the water and went sideways! I still have to try out some more props and get some tweaking done to get it heat race ready.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO7NB1dbRF4[/youtube]
The area surrounding the pond makes it sound much louder than it really is. A small muffled engine sounds like a chainsaw in the woods at this pond. This is right off the Kalamazoo River which has been in the news this past week because of a little (a million gallons or so) oil leak.