Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

raceing fuel

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

raceing fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:24 PM
pondrunner52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raceing fuel

can u run airplane fuel u get at these small airports and if do u have to cut it or strait uo with 2 cycle oil
Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: raceing fuel

Save your money. Avgas is overkill for these little engines. You will not get any benefit using these fuels. Iuse Cam2 in my drag car and have tried it in my boats and did not measure any gain according to a gps. Just keep it cheap and use 87 octane gas like everyone else. Camp fuel (basically VERY low octane gas) is also used by a few, however at $8+ a gallon around here, I'll stick to the pump and overlook the odor. Going to high test or 91+ only increases your expenses, not your speed.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM
joseywales

That stuff is like CAM2 racing fuel..think it's 104-110 octane. I would'nt advise it. To high of octane,will burn a hole in your piston and burn your ring out too. tried to use that stuff when Me and my friend was a tean in a lawn mower and burned the piston and rings out of it. Most guy run high test like 93-94 octane.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 PM
andybenton

low octane gas, is for low compression engines.

the higher the compression the less octane it needs. octane is a meassure of how fast something burns. the Lower the octane the Faster it burns.
the higher the octane, the slower it burns.

low compression and high octane gives the engine time to completely burn the fuel.

comparably these little 2strokes are high compression. so increasing preformance would be to get the fuel to burn a little quicker with out predetonating.   
Old 05-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: pondrunner52

can u run airplane fuel u get at these small airports and if do u have to cut it or strait uo with 2 cycle oil
No matter what fuel your thinking of running - you always need to add 2 stroke oil.

I would not look to high octane fuels unless specifically recommended by the engine builder (Quickdraw recommend it for one or two of their motors I believe). I am not sure any require (or for that matter recommend) really high octanes.

For what it is worth I (and many others) run white gas/coleman fuel. This is very low octane (about half the airplane fuel rating) yet in no way impedes the performance of the motors. Only difference (other than price - though white gas is not a bargain any longer) is a cleaner plug and a cooler running engine (with white gas).

Do some research on octane ratings - you will see there is plenty of hype when it comes to the "performance" fuels. They will not make a motor work harder - but they can allow a harder working engine to work.

I have not heard of anyone blowing holes in pistons with white gas in an RC boat as yet (I say white gas as it is an extreme low octane fuel). I am sure if you want to up the compression and mess with the timing then you might have a need for higher octanes - but dont feel your stock or mod motor will be faster or better with high octane fuel or octane booster - chances are it wont
Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Jon DesJardins

good old pump gas with Amsoil Synthetic for me.
Works like a champ and cost under $3 bucks a gallon
Old 05-03-2010, 10:23 PM
pondrunner52

ok guys thanks on the fuel note iam using 93  and amsoil now just wonder on that other fuel but i do want to try some camp fuel.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: spoolinaww

Not for long! It's still cheaper than campstove fuel but I just paid $2.999 a gallon about 1/2 hour ago. I'm running regular unleaded until they're broken in then switching to Coleman/Ozark Trail from Wally-world. I heard that Gander Mountain has it cheap but haven't been there yet.
Rumor is that we're going to see $4.00 a gallon by summer. After being a nitro burner even $4.00 a gallon sounds cheap in my toys but not in my rides.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:01 PM
andybenton

well with BPs massive oil spill im not surpirzed to see gas going up.

i doubt it will stay there for too long tho.

if i were in your shoes i would be running good ole 87 octane.

i understand the theory behind coleman fuel, and there really isnt any room for me to say i wont pay for it, scince im ok to purchase nitro at almost 40 bucks a gallon.

but my thing is, if i can get fuel for cheaper, i will. chances are the motor was desighned to run on pump gas, so 87 octane is good enough for it.
and as far as 2 stroke.  ive allways like Klotz benol, (i used to ride alot of 2 stroke motorcycles) 
but for like 12 bucks a gallon you can get supertech brand from advanced, its formulated for real boats, and thats what ive allways used in weedeaters, and in my bike when i couldnt afford benol.

just my 2 cents XD
Old 05-04-2010, 02:35 AM
kawasakikr1

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

ORIGINAL: spoolinaww

Not for long! It's still cheaper than campstove fuel but I just paid $2.999 a gallon about 1/2 hour ago. I'm running regular unleaded until they're broken in then switching to Coleman/Ozark Trail from Wally-world. I heard that Gander Mountain has it cheap but haven't been there yet.
Rumor is that we're going to see $4.00 a gallon by summer. After being a nitro burner even $4.00 a gallon sounds cheap in my toys but not in my rides.

Your lucky! Over here in the UK were paying about £5.50 ($8.39) a gallon for regular unleaded fuel.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:52 AM
MrMikeG

ORIGINAL: kawasakikr1

Your lucky! Over here in the UK were paying about £5.50 ($8.39) a gallon for regular unleaded fuel.
UK gallons are bigger than US gallons

Higher octante will increase your pipe temp too since it's not done burning when the exhaust opens. High octane is designed for 4 strokes not 2 strokes.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:35 AM
pondrunner52

is camp fuel good to use in gas rc boats or should i stick with gas heard some good things about it.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:35 PM
kawasakikr1

ORIGINAL: MrMikeG

ORIGINAL: kawasakikr1

UK gallons are bigger than US gallons

Higher octante will increase your pipe temp too since it's not done burning when the exhaust opens. High octane is designed for 4 strokes not 2 strokes.
Yes but only 1.2 US gallons to 1 UK gallon.

That's still equivalent to about $7 a gallon!
Old 05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
crrcboatz
My Feedback: (34)

This is my 4th yr using camp fuel and I will never go back to gasoline.

Reasons

Keeps for years at a time. Doesn't go bad or draw moisture.

NO odor in the garage or truck when transporting.

Can be left in your boat tank without worry of damage to the engine later if it is used vs old gas going bad.

NO additives, like gasoline and NO ethanol in the engine or carb to do damage.

Best of all My engines run super good on the stuff!!!! I buy 4-5 gals when I can find it on sale because it keeps and doesn't go bad.
Also it smells go burning too

Curt
Old 05-04-2010, 05:00 PM
pondrunner52

ok sounds like camp fuel is good thing to run now how much 2 cycle oil should be put to a gallon of it i planned on using amsoil thats what i use in gas now or is the same mix as gas ratio.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Dan S

same mix,
whatever you were mixing per gallon with regular gas, mix the same per gallon with camp fuel.

I mix 8oz of Amsoil per gallon, you may/will get other opinions/preference for oil amount.

Dan.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 PM
lapistola28

Seems like a few of you have high octane fuel and the reasons for running it backwards . High octane fuel does burn slower . IE . It is a more controled burn . What you don't want is an explosion when your air fuel mixture ignites . Therefore the higher you go in compression the higher octane fuel you want  . Think of the diesel engine concept . A diesel has tremendous amounts of compression and diesel fuel is tremendously hard to ignite . But if you put gasoline in your diesel engine it would destroy itself in mere seconds . I think that perhaps Av-gas is being mistaken for high test race fuel ........ They are to different creatures .If you wanted to run high octane fuel in your low compression (stock) engine there would be no ill effects , you'd just be wasting money . In my full size race boat we run 105 octane Sunoco fuel and it's worth every penny to import it . Costs us $550 for a 55Gal drum after shipping and tax .
Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Curt, you missed one! Carb diaphrams will also last a lot longer. If you run pump gas try to use one without ethanol, that's really hard on the diaphrams.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Scott Schneider

ORIGINAL: andybenton

low octane gas, is for low compression engines.

the higher the compression the less octane it needs. octane is a meassure of how fast something burns. the Lower the octane the Faster it burns.
the higher the octane, the slower it burns.

low compression and high octane gives the engine time to completely burn the fuel.

comparably these little 2strokes are high compression. so increasing preformance would be to get the fuel to burn a little quicker with out predetonating.
Hate to be a spoiler ... but some of this info is DEAD WRONG [>:]
the higher the compression the less octane it needs. .... No, Higher the compression, Higher the octane fuel must be to prevent detonation.
low compression and high octane gives the engine time to completely burn the fuel. .... No, under low compression fuel burns slower than higher compression and a slow burning fuel which MUST burn releasing maximum BTU's before TDC does not happen before piston reaches TDC and continues to burn past TDC which adds nothing to an engines power only adding greater exhaust system heat. Low compression works best with low octane fast burning fuel that will completely burn releasing maximum BTU's just when piston gets at TDC.
little 2strokes are high compression. .... ( Zenoahs/Cy/Rcmk weedwackers etc ) No, actually fairly low typically under 8.5:1 and even less once modified.
increasing preformance would be to get the fuel to burn a little quicker .... Correct, but by using FASTER burning LOW octane fuel.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:38 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

exactly, that's better than I would have worded it, didn't have the patience to type it out either...
Old 05-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Johnnysplits

Another vote for coleman camp fuel !!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Jon DesJardins

Yeah I see a few using the camp fuel cans, i ran for 7 months pump gas and amsoil and everything ran perfect every time so I'll just stick with what is working in mine but many do go camp fuel !
Old 05-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Jon DesJardins

double post fail