Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

GAS F1 INBOARD TUNNEL HULLS

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

GAS F1 INBOARD TUNNEL HULLS

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:08 AM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAS F1 INBOARD TUNNEL HULLS

Hi all !
For those of us who like the F1 Outboard look and the Gas "Inboard" F1 Tunnel Hull concept, this is the forum.
Please be encouraged to add as many pictures/pointers and advise as possible and always remember the only DUM question is the Question not asked !
Being inspired at a recent SA NATS event by Craig Heideman racing a Body Guard Inboard F1, I decided to try and set up our traditional YPC "Millers Legend" Outboard F1 Hull as a Inboard.
It took the redesigning of the transom and some thought to motor mounting points, but before I knew it it was done, I was on the water and "Surprisingly" Loving it.
In comparison to the Outboard (Still my first Love) the Inboard is also great fun to race, spilling adrenaline. It also runs on the edge, but certainly has more overall stability due to the CG being closer to the tunnels lift point, the motor is positioned with a far lower CG and the hull is that much lighter.
The building cost is also less and in many cases most seasoned Gas Boaters would have most of the required running gear lying around to equip a F1 Gas Tunnel successfully.
For those that are big on the Scale look, in my opinion this has been best achieved by some who have gone as far as adding the outboard cowling and the like.
In SA we will race in the Off- Shore class. At club level this will be with V's and Cats, but at a National event we will only race with the Cats, making it far better due to the V's not churning up the water.
Already we even have the hobby shops bringing in Inboard F1 Tunnel hulls from China , so there is no doubt that this F1 Inboard concept will grow rapidly over the future months.
The class could even become big enough to perhaps race in a class of its own in the future.
As you can see in the pictures, I have already replaced the shelf pipe/silencer with a purpose designed pipe (Hydro formed) for the F1 Inboard which has the stinger at the lowest pulse point, eliminating the need for a silencer and minimizing the amount of pipe/silencer extending out of the canopy.
So far I have run the hull with great success and raced it twice with winning results. Come month end we will be hosting a Invitational National where the F1 Inboard will have good opportunity to be put through it s paces.
Looking forward to all adding there great pictures !
Regards
Dominic Young (YPC)
Young's Performance Craft
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26632.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1451883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62856.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1451884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49113.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1451885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87715.jpg
Views:	1758
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	1451886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67877.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1451887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85131.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1451888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22033.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1451889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35443.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1451890  

Click image for larger version

Name:	If10509.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1451891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95069.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1451892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55130.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1451893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15967.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1451894  
Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 AM
lipdaddy

Default RE: GAS F1 INBOARD TUNNEL HULLS

AWESOME! What did you set the CG at?
Old 06-12-2010, 09:17 AM
YPC

Hi Ryan -
Static = 30%
I run a 500ml water bag in the nose for windy/rough conditions.
Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Youngz Performance Craft

Name:	Ca82458.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1451911  
Old 06-12-2010, 01:32 PM
lipdaddy

Thanks Dominic

I always wondered if this could be done and after seeing your pictures I want to do a small nitro build now.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:38 PM
apache 56

the inboards got there little thread going.
dominic where did you get your rudder strut combo stand of from .

the pipe looks difrent , would you look at making a fake cowling over the rear , and exiting pipe there
Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 PM
YPC

Hi Apache 56
I am using the American ENFORCER unit. It is working well, turns both left and right without any issues. I have the unit off set by 5mm to the right, which counters the steering and reduces the prop torque, aiding the left sponson to stay closer to the water.
I have been told that the normal strut with a seperate rudder will be quicker due to the prop having no spray interference by the rudder. This will also be a cheaper option, it will just take some thought as to how to attach the rudder as the transom in my case is only 100mm wide.
I do have a Outboard cowling that we used when we intially started running the hulls with the 13cc K&B Motors. I may look at making some small changes to it so that it could be attached.
There will also be the cowling from the China boat that is being imported. I just dont know how big it is and whether it would be to scale with our hull. The China boat looks bulkier with a far wider centre canopy so the O/B Cowl may be to wide. (in picture)
I will let you know how our new pipe performs later in the week

Well done to England and America for there 1-1 draw in a great game of football last night -

Kind Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Youngz Performance Craft

Name:	Om32433.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1452284  
Old 06-13-2010, 01:12 AM
apache 56

hi dom yes is football over the place around you at the moment... every second person is trying to tip who will finish where. ..

yer that hull dose look rather wide on the cowling. also the bottom of that hull looks very cat looking in that pic from the rear.
i see there are some other china f1 copy hulls out there also .
and ive now seen your xray leg up close and personal...looks very neat and streamline,,, very neat unit.
will be great to see how my inboard runns aganst the outboards. now just to work out what motor to runn in it the omin zenoah or the rcmk evo..

Old 06-13-2010, 01:50 AM
YPC

Hi Apache56

Its sure is all Football at the moment "Bringing our country and the world to-gether" its great.
I beleive you guys are facing Germany- that will be a big one !

Thanks for the compliment with the X-Ray leg. It has a few technical features of its own and has worked well so far.
I am running a stock timed Zenoah in my Inboard at the moment and have to say that I dont think I want it to go much faster, especially for race conditions. As it is, it is fast and very manageable. The faster "Wilder" motors can get you into a tight spot to quickly when you need it the least.
Have you mannaged to create a wrap to centre header that allows you the correct pipe length ? The standard WTC are hugely over size.
I have not had a chance to have a hands on look at the imported Inboard F1 but as you say it has the look of little True Tunnel concept design. The deck of the tunnel wing has been totally built up to accomodate the manifold and carb, limiting the flight ability of the hull.
Some folk I might add like the fact that a tunnel has no compresion and that it is high of the water, feeling that it has more lateral stability and less inclined to be effected in choppier water. Personally, I like the compresion factor and the challenge of flying a True Tunnel.

Kind Regards
Dominic(YPC)
Youngz Performance Craft

Name:	Wt59105.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1452314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70402.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1452315  
Old 06-13-2010, 07:03 AM
CraigHeidemann

Hey Dom,

Raced in the endurance class today .. boy did this hull perform in that rough water ... Flat out non stop untill the motor said i can't no more ... Some where along the line something packed up and the piston
hit the top of the barrel .... not good ... I think i was lying in 4th from stone last with about 12 min still to go ... i was so upset but happy that i finally saw the true performance of Latiffs hull. Unfortunatly this means my plans to buy a
ticket to fly to Cape town tomorrow has now been blown up in smoke [:@] 1 x new engine coming up !!!!!!

Later C
Old 06-13-2010, 07:39 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking hull ,ive been thinking about building my own from scratch for some time.Are there any plans out there for these tunnel hulls?.Any tips on tunell width and depth and ride surface angles etc would be apreciated if i do have to do it my self.
Mart
Old 06-13-2010, 12:33 PM
YPC

Hi Mart !

What a fumble in the game last night ! I am sure all will go well from here on out for England

I really dont know of any Gas F1 Plans that are available. Especially a Inboard version. Some have considered scaling the smaller available Nitro F1 boat plans up, which could be a option.
There is also a Kit from ZIPKIT- USA which is popular in the States, offering lower cost and the creative opportunity for those who enjoy the build
One of the American hulls used to be built in the UK under licence, cant remember who it was, maybe someone reading will know.
Some "Scratch Build" Pictures of our Millers Legend F1 Gas Prototype, going back over 10 years now.
Keep us up to speed if you do get going with a build, and always feel free to ask some questions.
Regards
Dominic (YPC)

Name:	Ca81276.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1452439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17000.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1452440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69520.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1452441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37281.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1452442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46401.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1452443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15206.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1452444  
Old 06-13-2010, 12:42 PM
martno1fan

Hi Dominic yea i know about the zippkits tunell ,to be honest i think id rather scratch build my own.Im a bit busy right now manufacturing my Apache hulls but hopefully i might get a chance over the winter to put something together.Ill be sure to ask some questions when i do cheers mate.Any idea where i can find these smaller f1 tunnel plans?.
Reagarding that fumble i was surprised he even started the game m8 along with Heskey hes useless.A striker who doesnt score goals is a joke .Think it may force the manager to change things for the better I HOPE lol.
Mart
Old 06-13-2010, 12:51 PM
YPC

Hi Craig
That is NOT good news - Sorry to hear that.
We are also sorry that you cant make CT but please make sure that you are up and racing by the time I get up in Aug.
The other day I had a Conrod lower bearing cage break apart which made it look like a miniature Mad man had got inside my motor with a ice pick. The piston dome and the head compression profile were wrecked.
I will be testing the new pipe on Wednesday, hopefully with good results as I am planning to design a motor cowling that will turn with the rudder, which cant be done with the pipes that have the silencer placed in the cowl.
I will connect the cowl to the taper of the pipe which sticks out the canopy with the flexible aluminium pipe, like the full scale boats have for there Carb intakes, should look quite the part !
Have a great week Go World Cup!
Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Old 06-13-2010, 12:59 PM
YPC

Hi Mart
If I come across some of the smaller plans I will let you know.
What is it that you manufacture ? with Gas boats
Dominic
Old 06-13-2010, 01:09 PM
YPC

Hi Mart
Just been to your site. I really like your Gas Commet hydro - How much are they and do you have any available ?
Dominic
Old 06-13-2010, 03:10 PM
martno1fan

Hi Dom at the moment i dont have any built and im busy with the Apache hulls as they seem very popular right now.I have prices up on the site m8,drop me a pm if you like then we can talk in more detail as the site owners dont like us talking prices lol.
Mart
Old 06-14-2010, 02:15 AM
Body Guard

Hi Dom,
Been outstation for nearly a week now and have not internet access until now. So a quick one from me. Good to see that my F1 Inboard idea is spreading around. Now you know that it can quite fill you with adrenaline when running them on the edge and yet still not loose the stability for reasons which need no explaining to you.
Here are some examples of the INBOARD F1 fully "dressed" to give that near scale look. I have to have one of my design blue printed for submission and the plan is still on patent pending status. Interested party can pm me .
Attached Images   
Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 AM
apache 56

ORIGINAL: YPC

Hi Apache56

Its sure is all Football at the moment ''Bringing our country and the world to-gether'' its great.
I beleive you guys are facing Germany- that will be a big one !

Thanks for the compliment with the X-Ray leg. It has a few technical features of its own and has worked well so far.
I am running a stock timed Zenoah in my Inboard at the moment and have to say that I dont think I want it to go much faster, especially for race conditions. As it is, it is fast and very manageable. The faster ''Wilder'' motors can get you into a tight spot to quickly hen you need it the least.
Have you mannaged to create a wrap to centre header that allows you the correct pipe length ? The standard WTC are hugely over size.
I have not had a chance to have a hands on look at the imported Inboard F1 but as you say it has the look of little True Tunnel concept design. The deck of the tunnel wing has been totally built up to accomodate the manifold and carb, limiting the flight ability of the hull.
Some folk I might add like the fact that a tunnel has no compresion and that it is high of the water, feeling that it has more lateral stability and less inclined to be effected in choppier water. Personally, I like the compresion factor and the challenge of flying a True Tunnel.

Kind Regards
Dominic(YPC)
Youngz Performance Craft

yer mate the pipe on this on i have, (kerrys old hull) it has a custom header pipe . like a cross between a small radius rap to centre but not going all the way to centre. and a 100or 105 degree header pipe flange . if you know what i mean . i hant got my dig camera so cant take any pics of it...but yes we can get the reght pipe lenth on it .
yes im only going to use ither the zeno(omin) or the stock rcmk... havnt made up my mind what to runn in it yet . and was talking about changing the in side lay up and looking into c/g on it move tank and radio box etc. but will runn it as is for now and look into that if it it neaded... or look at running balast tank , and putting fuel tank/bladder all the way to the rear of the hull.
just work out that fine line of hold power on and of at the right time.. to get it running on edge. and not taking flight haha...more of a chalange . that is good., and im realy not fussed if its not the fastest out there. but just stays the right way up .....

Old 06-14-2010, 06:21 AM
YPC

Hi Apache56
Some good advice I got a while back "learn to drive a slow boat fast so that one day you can drive a fast boat fast"
My Late dad whenever he saw seriously modified motors always wondered how much help the individual needed in the hope of winning.
Hey, only boats that finnish the race have a chance of winning the days racing !
Looking forward to hearing how your set up performs !
We have a Public Holiday on Wednesday and a couple of us will be out testing, will report back on the pipe.
Regards
Dominic (YPC)
Youngz Performance Craft
Old 06-14-2010, 06:24 AM
YPC

Hey Body Guard !
A INBOARD F1 Thread "ALL things are possible" Look forward to your involvement.
Boats look good for some reason I cannot enlarge them ?
regards
Dominic (YPC)
Youngz Performance Craft.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Body Guard

Hey Dom,
Those pics are also in the rcuniverse gallery along with a few others.
Everyone can view in full page and enlarge them for a closer look. I'm sure you can click on the gallery and check on members uploaded gallery.
Enjoy the pics. Will be on the forum when I get back home.
Best rgds.
Latiff
Old 06-15-2010, 02:32 PM
CraigHeidemann

Hi Dom,

A little E clip on my carb came off and got sucked into the motor, that is now one very expensive E clip ... gees !!!!
Back to the drawing board .... I should hopefully be up and running when you are here, not sure if the lighter hull will be ready but i sure will try my best to
have it ready for when you are here, even if it's not painted yet.

rgs
Craig.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:59 AM
YPC

Hi Craig
It's always good to know what the cause was. How did the E clip come adrift and get into the motor, it is outside of the carb and any air box ?
We had a wonderful day down at the Klapmuts dam testing our boats to-day. The new pipe worked very well, definitely having a smoother throttle response being a 3 stage design.
Currently I am running a stock timed motor producing good speed and acceleration. I will give it a good run at Saturdays club race and see how it rates against some of the modded motors, but will look to increase the timing some time later in the month.
Well it is back to the Big Screen soon for the FootBall - Big night for BAFANA - Vuvuzela Vuvuzela Vuvazeela Vuvuzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeela !
Kind Regards
Dominic(YPC)
Youngz Performance Craft
Old 06-16-2010, 03:49 PM
martno1fan

Bad luck South Africa good luck for the next game [X(].
Old 06-20-2010, 05:02 AM
CraigHeidemann

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Bad luck South Africa good luck for the next game [X(].
We should have sent our South Africa Under 19's, they would have played better !!!! They need 5 goals against France to get throught o the next round ..>WHAHAHAHAH !!!!!

Durban Endurance rock on .... I can't wait for September !!!!! i hope the water does not get to rough though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.