Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Aquacraft Rio 51z

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Aquacraft Rio 51z

Old 06-14-2010, 05:14 PM
lapistola28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aquacraft Rio 51z

Well ............. I just ordered a brand new Rio from TH . Wish me luck ! I plan on changing out the stock exhaust for a BH Hanson tune pipe and maybe the trim tabs for some Speedmaster billet ones . Anyone have any other suggestions ? I would love to hear what you guys have to say !

Old 06-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: Aquacraft Rio 51z

Appears you may be the first here on the forums with the new Rio. Anxious to see how things work out for you. Iknow you'll be posting LOTS of pictures and video, right?!?!

Would be nice to see some vids and if possible gps speeds as it arrives out of the box and again once you change things around. Please keep us posted!

I feel this will be a very popular thread!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:36 PM
lapistola28

I would love to post some videos ........ Not only of this boat but of some of my fast electrics aswell ...... The problem lies with trying to talk my lovely wife into coming with me to the beach to hold the camera .... lol . She has zero interest in my "stupid toys" ...............
Old 06-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Hmmm, have that same problem. Wife still calls my boats "toys". Iasked her what toy costs almost $1,000 for just one? I have several laying around my "toy" room as she calls it. Being a hull manufacturer myself, guess that makes me a "toy maker!"....lol. Looking forward to your review of this new/updated AQ boat.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
lapistola28

Hey guys , What header pipe will i need to get to fit the pipe inside the hull . I know i had seen "deep vee' headers somewhere .... But now i can't find them . I do have a 2" offset 90 degree header . but will that keep the pipe away from everything on the inside ?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:52 PM
kb guy

for thru transom exit, hanson # 14 header & standard pipe. perfect fit.

CARTER
Old 06-15-2010, 02:57 PM
DFB

ORIGINAL: lapistola28

Hey guys , What header pipe will i need to get to fit the pipe inside the hull . I know i had seen ''deep vee' headers somewhere .... But now i can't find them . I do have a 2'' offset 90 degree header . but will that keep the pipe away from everything on the inside ?
-> BH Hanson<-

I sarted out with the #14, and ended up with the #13... The #13 allowed me to fit everything under the top, with out a bunch of pipe sticking out the back of the boat...

*13. 90 Deg. header with 25 Deg. angle down, one inch drop and 3 inch offset

*14. 90 Deg. header with 25 Deg. angle down, one inch drop and 2 inch offset

Old 06-15-2010, 04:19 PM
lapistola28

Thanks Guys . Any other tips would be great !
Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 PM
Dreamin Hemi

Also depends on the pipe length...0 band, 1" band or 2" band. Don't remember exactly what header I ended up with, but the #13 seems to be what I have by looking at it.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 PM
lapistola28

The pipe i have now is a 2" band .
Old 06-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Dreamin Hemi

You will be sticking out quite a bit requiring a rather large exit hole to get the proper tuning.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
lapistola28

What pipe would you recomend ? A zero or 1" ? Is it even possible to fit a Quiet pipe in there ? What about the headers that wrap forward first ?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:49 AM
MrMikeG

Headers that wrap forward first are TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long!
A 2" band and a zero band should be the same total length, since the 2" band needs the header 2" shorter. It is the rear cone that tunes a pipe, not the middle as some would like you to believe. A 2" band needs a very short header and probably #13 or 14 are not going to do it for you. Get the right pipe for the engine, not the hull! If your really stuck on room get the QD pipe, they can make a wrap forward that tunes properly!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:12 AM
lapistola28

Hey there guys .......... Well i picked up the boat this morning from UPS ....... When i unpacked it i thought wow ! This thing is Awesome ! .... Then i took the hatch off ......... I can only assume that there is some sort of resin shortage at the Aquacraft factory !!!! The little bits of cloth they used to attach the stringers are so dry that the stringers have come out of the boat ! I now ..... On my BRAND NEW "RTR" boat have to glass the stringers back in the boat !!!!! The bond is so weak that the steering servo lifted the stringer on the right side right off the bottom as i turned the rudder ! Maybe i should have been more patient and just waited for a WHH boat !
Old 06-17-2010, 10:48 AM
cheesewizz69

Maybe i should have been more patient and just waited for a WHH boat !
In your own words[sm=47_47.gif]
Old 06-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Grimracer

Sorry about that.. what would you like me to do for ya.. anything, or can you get em back in OK.. let me know.. I will do what I can to help ya best I can..

BTY we are looking into this issue ASAP.. and i do mean ASAP..

Grim
Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 AM
lapistola28

Grim ..... I thank you for the quick response . Really there is nothing finance wise that i am after . I just hope that you guys fix the issue before other boats are delivered the same way . The Fiberglass cloth was so dry it seems that perhaps it was missed by the builder .had i even tried to start it the engine would have come out in my hand ..... Please believe me .... I'm not trying to be a Groaner ! I have removed the engine , tanks and radio box so that i can re-glass the areas .
Old 06-17-2010, 11:29 AM
lapistola28

Other than my issue ...... This is a beautiful hull ! I can't wait to get it back together and run it !
Old 06-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Dreamin Hemi

That sucks man! First one here to get one and a rail problem off the bat!

From his past history, Grim and the people at AQ are quick to respond and want you to be successfull. Good luck, and please ask any questions you may have, there is LOTS of experience here!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Grimracer

Action on our end is already in place to cover this...

I have no idea why the rail fillets were dry.. As you know they are not to be that way.

I have been on a 2 year quest (in china) to find a viscous adhesive that installs with a caulking gun and holds like iron.. so far no luck.. In the mean time its glassing as usual.

New QCX steps regarding rail installation are now in place at the factory.

Grim
Old 06-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Russ Williamson

Hopefully this is very isolated and sorry for the problem. Totally unacceptable! Communication with the factory has already been done to QC and check 100% of the formers in the hull during production to prevent this in the future. Good to hear you liked everything else - thanks!

Russ

Hey there guys .......... Well i picked up the boat this morning from UPS ....... When i unpacked it i thought wow ! This thing is Awesome ! .... Then i took the hatch off ......... I can only assume that there is some sort of resin shortage at the Aquacraft factory !!!! The little bits of cloth they used to attach the stringers are so dry that the stringers have come out of the boat ! I now ..... On my BRAND NEW ''RTR'' boat have to glass the stringers back in the boat !!!!! The bond is so weak that the steering servo lifted the stringer on the right side right off the bottom as i turned the rudder ! Maybe i should have been more patient and just waited for a WHH boat !
Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM
tropheus29

I know this may sound naive and I mean this in all sincerity, but "Why do the boats have to be made in China." Is there no way to pull this off stateside while keeping costs low enough to make it worth while. I like Aquaraft, please don't take this as incendiary.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Russ Williamson

It is a good question and we have looked at many ways; bottom line is it can be done, but the cost for a complete boat would be really, really high. It would prevent the market from growing, just too expensive.
I know that answer sucks but the over-whelming majority of Americans want everything and it be done at the cheapest price and want it now. If it were not for that, it would be an entirely different ball game.

Thanks,
Russ

ORIGINAL: tropheus29

I know this may sound naive and I mean this in all sincerity, but ''Why do the boats have to be made in China.'' Is there no way to pull this off stateside while keeping costs low enough to make it worth while. I like Aquaraft, please don't take this as incendiary.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 PM
lapistola28

Well .... I'm all glassed in ........ Just waiting for the resin to go up (overnight) . I also dabbed a little resin over the ends of the ply for a little added protection against rot  . I guess i could re-install everything tomorrow .
Old 06-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Grimracer

Just want to step and and say thanks for sticking with us on this.

Also

Make sure you double check those muffler bolts after the first run and then again after a few more runs.. you get the idea.

Thanks again..

Grim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.