Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Looking into Boats

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Looking into Boats

Old 07-08-2010, 06:19 PM
MadManAndrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into Boats

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my first big boat. I've been toying around with toys and then small scale electric for forever now, and I'm ready to move to gasssers. I want an RTR or simple kit that won't take too much time or skill to assemble, and will put out good peformance on the lake. What are some reliable, high performance boats out there?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:59 PM
TopSecretBoats

Default RE: Looking into Boats

Allot of RTR on the market but you should beware of what you buy .If it is under say $1100. to 1500.00 you will probably be disappointed.
You might consider finding a hull you like and finding a reputable builder to build it for you.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:13 PM
lolamon

For starters try this [link=http://www.whhonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SuperG]SUPER G[/link]
Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 PM
sportster445

Sent you a e-mail.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:05 PM
tennessee_

Check out warehousehobbies.com they have great RTR boats at very fair prices, theirMagnum 57 with M5 engine is a great starter boat.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Ultimate48
My Feedback: (1)

warehousehobbies.com best RTR gas boat . it will be step one ! LOL !

Old 07-08-2010, 10:32 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: sportster445

Sent you a e-mail.
The email I have registered isn't my current email, send me a PM?
Old 07-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Jon DesJardins

Warehouse Hobbies will be a great starter boat, the Super G is rock solid and good for 40+ MPH bone stock!

I have the Magnum 57 with the M5 mod and love it
Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Warehouse Hobbies' e-mail address is www.whobbies.com .
Old 07-08-2010, 11:42 PM
5bbasher
My Feedback: (3)

WAREHOUSE HOBBIESi also have a magnum 57 with the m5! buy a kit it is simple to finish the build yourself. if you do have questions just post them in the enforcers thread on this site and you will find help. here are a few pics of what you get in the kit, mid way through the build and some of the first run. this is my first big gasser and i'm hooked! good luck

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39813.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1465298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99446.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1465299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44455.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1465300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11505.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1465301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55849.jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1465302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp93126.jpg
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1465303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Su36349.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1465304  
Old 07-09-2010, 11:22 AM
TopSecretBoats

Hay Guys!! to quote him (What are some reliable, high performance boats out there? ) All through WHH makes a good production toy boat IMO High performance is just not there.
I consider High Performance as a race boat that will run 55mph to 70 mph. and it is not much more $$$ to do then what WHH has to offer. If you hook up with the right builders they will make you happier then if he settles with a Gator of Fun cruiser. You can get board real quick with a 40 mph boat and they do not hold good value if you try to get rid of them to get something really fun and high performance boat can even hold a reasonable resale value.

Now don't beat me up I'm just being honest.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:56 AM
magnum57

I agree with Bill in the getting bored quick part of his statement. However I think for a beginner 40 to 50 mph with WHH M-5 motor is very enjoyable and should hold you over until you want to step it up. Defiantly get a boat with a clutch. Just trust me on that for a starter gas boat it just is allot easier to manage. You have to remember these things are very dangerous and must be respected. After you get bored with say a WHH Mantaray or Magnum 57 step it up to a WHH Silex and hang on. My Silex with the M-6 is Awesome and plenty fast. WHH is very dependable and offers the best customer service around. Bill at Top Secret also sells RTR boats now and then. I purchased an Apache from him RTR with a clutch and it was a sweet boat. I would recommend a kit type boat. The only way to go and easy to put together. WHH makes it real enjoyable to assemble. I think the resale on all the boats right now are in the toilet so get one and hang on to it and enjoy
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
tropheus29

You know, you could take this email and make it a sticky because every time someone asks this question, the same cast of characters say the same things. Man, expand the horizons here for newbies. It's like the WHH pitch team.

Commence the WHH Flame Squad....3-2-1-GO! (See the thread below)
Old 07-09-2010, 01:20 PM
magnum57

I just want to give information that I have experienced. I have had great luck with WHH. I'm sure you didnt start with the Seduser or the Avenger Hydro's and Cats you claim to have or had in other posts. Give it a break. We have purchased over 50 boats trying to match the quality of the Warehouse Hobby products in an RTR or ARTR kit. Our mistake was listening to guys like you who for some reason don’t like WHH or don’t know any better. I'm not going to slam the other RTR boats we've purchased and believe me we have tried them all. Look at my gallery you'll see this is experience talking. You tell me what other company offers a kit that you can put together in a few hours giving the customer the inside scoop on the operations of a RC boat. Very helpful customer service. The newbie will expand his or her horizons if they can get through the tough times of learning the hobby and not getting frustrated and quitting from a cheaply built import or from a company that’s not there for you when you need some help. I'm running a lot of different products now and still love running the sport boat now and then. Keeps us grounded and lets us realize where we were a few years ago when we started model boating. Now my Son and I race in Namba and are totally addicted to the hobby. We just received a Conquest with a QD-HT-25. This boat hit 73mph on its second run. We would have never been able to handle this new boat without starting with a quality first experience in the rc boating world. So 3-2-1 go is right. Right to WHH for the beginner. Spool straighten this guy out
P.S. Please send crab cakes
Old 07-09-2010, 02:40 PM
sportster445

Are you can go custom build. 900.00-1100.00

Name:	Jh15511.jpg
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	1465502  
Old 07-09-2010, 03:44 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget rtr,buy yourself a nice hull and build it yourself !
You will save a lot of $$ and learn a heck of a lot .

Theres a few of us building nice hulls for people

Name:	Ge95865.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1465539  
Old 07-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Jon DesJardins

ORIGINAL: tropheus29

You know, you could take this email and make it a sticky because every time someone asks this question, the same cast of characters say the same things. Man, expand the horizons here for newbies. It's like the WHH pitch team.

Commence the WHH Flame Squad....3-2-1-GO! (See the thread below)

Just because there are people (like myself) who have had great experiences and really enjoy our warehouse hobbies boats doesn't mean anything besides we are happy customers. When people ask for opinions backed with experiences I will post mine every time! Just get used to it and go sell some fish because nobody needs your negative efforts to those looking for options. If you have options then post your experiences up & let the rest go buddy.

(kind of have to decide if you want to race or if you want a sport boat) Do you want to go 45 mph or 65 mph?

topsecret Kudos to your builds/parts as they look great but I honestly wouldn't want a first time gasser running a clutch less 65+mph boat around others. The whole "resale" thing is kind of a joke considering how many race boats are never repaired from crashes....etc to where it's going to still be a dime piece after a season of racing.... just some food for thought vs a sport boat that is typically run alone or with a few others in a non racing format

I only tossed out the super G as a first time gasser because for $600 shipped RTR, 45MPH it seamed like a very easy and inexpensive way to get into a reliable fun boat.
If you want to get into racing with 50-70 MPH you have many other options to explore from many companies as you will see after searching on this site.

Anyways, good luck with your venture on finding the boat that fits YOU the best & a short list below of some to look into

Insane
Warehouse Hobbies "Silex Pro"
Bonzi
AZ "Razor"
RC boatworks "Stryker"
Aeromarine
PI
Topsecretboats
Blazer
Sprintcat
GT
Venum
Proboat

There are so many, you need to see what fits you best
Old 07-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Justaddwata

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: MadManAndrew

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my first big boat. I've been toying around with toys and then small scale electric for forever now, and I'm ready to move to gasssers. I want an RTR or simple kit that won't take too much time or skill to assemble, and will put out good peformance on the lake. What are some reliable, high performance boats out there?
Hi Andrew, Good to hear your ready to step up to gassers. My first and last choice

As you can see from the above posts - there are plenty of options and opinions - all of them good for various reasons.

If I could ask what kind of boating you plan on doing. Small calm pond or big choppy lake. You have buddies that are also running (if so what are they running and are they of interest?). You have an interest in racing down the road?

Theres a number of good options and some overlap between both sport boats (Boats that are run for fun and not built to a rule or class - typically more opportunity to be more scale), and race boats (Boats that are built with speed being the emphasis though often built with a class and set of rules in mind). Both types are high performance though race boats are usually higher performance than the average sport boat.

Further to those considerations is the style of hull and size of hull. You have a particular type of boat you prefer. Classic hydroplanes, deep vees, catamarans etc? Size of hull is going to be governed a little if you intend of racing the boat - they tend not to get too large. But if you are planning on having fun on the bay then a big vee will be a blast.

You can run a race boat socially (for fun) and never race it. Will serve you well. You can also try to race a sport boat (though they tend to be less competitive - it is generally not recommended and may not be permitted in some classes).

If you could provide a little feedback we could perhaps help narrow down some of your options.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 PM
PEERPSI

ORIGINAL: TopSecretBoats

reputable builder
Any recommendations?

A lot of people will recommend building it yourself. While that may be your thing do take the time to consider the cost of materials and tools you may well only use once. Compare that to the cost of RTR and make an informed decision.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:05 AM
5bbasher

WELL THEN.................LOL.................. for the record the main reason i recommended whh is because MadManAndrew said "I want an RTR or simple kit that won't take too much time or SKILL to assemble". this tells me that his experience and/or mechanical abilities could be limited. it also tells me that he might not be ready for the "true" high performance boats but from his past rc's i'd say that any good gasser kit would be a significant performance jump.
no i am not part of the whh "PITCH TEAM" but i would be if they offered............[8D]
Old 07-10-2010, 11:53 AM
magnum57

......... R O F L ............
Old 07-10-2010, 12:09 PM
MadManAndrew

Oh, no, Sippirat, my skills are far from limited. I've been building and running airplanes and trucks for awhile now, I only say I'm looking for something with minimal skill involved becauase this will be my first hobby-grade boat and I'm trying to avoid a big project. I want to have it out on the lake before the end of Summer.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:26 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trucks are one thing boats are another as you will find out ,good luck with your search.
Mart
Old 07-10-2010, 12:54 PM
FlogginHarvey

hello everyone...it looks like there has been quite the "tea party" here back and forth. I won't get invloved there!

WHH is a great company and their kits and boats will get you on the water with very minimal effort and come together very quickly speeds in the 40-45mph.

Aeromarine can do a full "kit" and has nice build instrucitons. The Conquest Cat & xXx Outerlimits are very VERy capable heat racers and either of the 50/56 Apache's or Donzi Monos are gret for rough water and a good, SOLID play/sport boats.

Others that can do a "kit" would be AC Hulls the Razor, Lazer, Blast Cat and R42 are all hulls we hear about on a regular basis from both racers and sport boaters alike.

Another is Rico Boats and the Offshore Classic and 2008 Offshore a GREAT hulls for heat racing and a little overkill for play boats but run great.

Expect to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,500-2,000 for a full heat race style hull depending on the motor/pipe setups. The HP could very well be the most expensive part of the whole build but you will typically see speeds in the 50-60+MPH range depending on HP and props. (props are a WHOLE 'nother topic not worth getting into here).

I will say that a friend runs a Rico 2008 Offshore with a WHH M5 mod zennie and it absolutely SCREAMS.

Monos will be quite a bit more forgiving in rough water and windier conditions but the Cats will generally get more speed than the monos with the same power but might be a bit more than you're wanting to get started with. It is NO fun retrieving a boat after it has flipped and the motor ingested water. I like monos for general play boating... but that is just me.

choose what works for your interes, skill levle, and pocket book. Use hte search function at the top and go check out ModelGasBoats.com...they have some really good info and some nice, detialed porduct reviews that are very worth a read if you haven't already.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:29 PM
magnum57

Good Posting

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.