Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Zenoah EZ Starter Kit Is It Worth it?

Has anyone here tried the Zenoah EZstarter kit GR26099? Supposed to make starting easier, does it?

Is it difficult or tricky to install?Installation instructions say to use an enclosed piston stop tool to tighten the new flywheel starter dog. I'm skeptical about using the piston stop tool and putting that pressure on the piston, rod and crankshaft on my WHHmodified M5 engine.

Is there a better way to keep the flywheel from moving while tightening the starter dog? I have the WHHZ5 Zenoah engine tool but don't see a way to use it to hold the flywheel while installing a starter dog. I have taken a stock strater dog off by securing the flywheel with a 6mm bolt thru it but this won't work on the EZstart dog because it is larger than the stock one and covers the 6mm flywheel bolt holes.

Is anyone using Loctite to secure their starter dog?

Thank you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Zenoah EZ Starter Kit Is It Worth it?

I have never found it that hard to start a zenoah with the regular starter. A cheap weed wacker I purchased has an EZ starter which works fine - basically uses a spring to dampen the compression portion of the crank cycle - I wont be buying one for the zens - just not needed (IMO)

I usually use shock to loosen or tighten the dog. A small hammer against a wrench or screwdriver against the paw. Takes a little finesse but like you I dont like the thought of stressing the rod (with piston stop) or twisting the crank (by holding the collet)

There are tools that will allow you to hold the flywheel (using the two puller threads in the flywheel) which should work fine - easy enough to make with some steel plate and two screws.
    One of the better gas boat picture sites - http://imageevent.com/justaddwata

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like Matt have never had issues starting Zenoah engines - now if there was one for the Sikk - that I might try LOL

I'm old school and if I need a 'piston stop' (for removing collets etc.) i simply move piston to bottom of stroke and feed some soft cotton 1/4" rope into sparkplug hole - then just rotate engine the rope will work as a piston stop. I've never had rod issues from doing it this way butI'm sure it's possible.

Doing it this way allows me a piston stop without damage to piston. To remove recoil'paw' on engine I use a 'wrench' I made simply by putting a slot in piece of bar stock that fits snugly over pulley dogs or paws - but Matts way works fine too - I'd recommend a brass punch though.
    Think "Fink" - build what YOU think is cool ......

http://www.youtube.com/user/mistycreekboats

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got one that came with the rear exhaust RCMK that I recently bought but haven't installed it in a boat yet. I did pull it over and it does seem to work very well. I tried one last year on a buddies Zen and it was very easy to pull over. Now I'm thinking of getting more to put on my RCMK S-256 and Evo.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The EZ-starts do work well and are neccasary on some of the 29.5cc stroked big bore Zenoahs as they can be hard to pull and if it pops back on you, ooch.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Us old guys really like them. My shoulders are shot so it helps those with bad appendages. Tw of my RCMK's have been a little cantankerous after sitting around all winter so my son and I both wore our arms out trying to get those to fire and both of us also had swollen hands. It's either the Easy Starters or Geezer wheels. I've already got a 24-volt starter and box set up for that for my nitro burners so the Geezer wheels are an option that someone old and lazy can use like me.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi all

i didnt have any trouble iether to pull the pull starts too but i have now gone too useing pully /geezer wheels too make it easyer too starting the zen with a pully start with a 24v batt

regards phil

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They work FANTASTICALLY !! .... Tho can be troublesome if you don't get the pawl assembly TIGHT on flywheel. ( Sheared keys )
    Do be careful tho if using the supplied piston stop ... too much torque applied can punch a hole threw piston dome when installing the EZ start parts. Just an FYI be careful
    * Yes loc-tite should be applied on threads.
    * I typically use a commercial piston stop that is a fat & thick PLASTIC paddle looking like a tongue depressor that gos into exhaust port wedging between piston dome and roof of port.
    Love the Hobby, Hate the Politics .....
    Home of MOTORHEADS RC Racing Engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Scott,

Where can I getthe plastic piston stop? To bad there is no other way then a piston stop to secure the flywheel when putting the larger than stock EZstarter dog on.

Speaking of Loctite, where else should it be used on the engine assembly and should I use the blue version only?

Thank you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tennessee_

Scott,

Where can I getÂ*the plastic piston stop? To bad there is no other way then a piston stop to secure the flywheel when putting the larger than stock EZÂ*starter dog on.

Speaking of Loctite, where else should it be used on the engine assembly and should I use the blue version only?

Thank you.
    Being No longer within the small engine industry, no clue. But a piece of black/white nylon-delrin-etc @ 1/4" to 5/16" thick X 1" wide X @ 2" long would be ideal.
    * Engine assembly work use med grade BLUE .... I use RED sparingly on starter dogs.
    Love the Hobby, Hate the Politics .....
    Home of MOTORHEADS RC Racing Engines.