Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

1/3 scale hydroplane Miss budweiser

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

1/3 scale hydroplane Miss budweiser

Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Bhelm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/3 scale hydroplane Miss budweiser

Hello all
Im trying to find some information on a Hydroplane that is now sitting in my garage, i have searched high and low and have found nothing on this amazing boat . I recived it in trade from the person who built it. its 9 ft yes 9ft long and has a single cyl kawasaki jetski motor in it. I was told its theonly one ever built .I race and buld jetskis so i thought this would be fun. the problem im having is finding a stering servo large enough for this boat. if any one has an idea i would greatly appreciate it. i have added some photos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42171.jpg
Views:	3455
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1480952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71939.jpg
Views:	1551
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1480953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83155.jpg
Views:	2290
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1480954  
Old 08-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Paul M

Default RE: 1/3 scale hydroplane Miss budweiser

Oh My Gosh. Who's going to ride it LOL

RE the steering servo. Consider ganging 2 or 3 high torque servos together like the Futaba 9157. That's what the large scale airplane guys do.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That boat has been all over hte country. The last time that I saw anything of it it was sitting in Texas if that's the same one but that was many years ago.
There was another version built that was a little larger and was featured in RCBM when it was shown at the Toledo show. That one had a 300cc Kaw in it but didn't use the jet drive but a regular prop. That person had some monster servos set up redundantly for safety. It seems like he used some servos from the military what from who and what I don't know.
Yes, there are some servos on the market that put out 330 oz. in. of torque so those could be ganged but I don't know how many that you'd need to steer that beast. The linkage might be tricky also not to mention some long servo arms to get the amount of steering that it would need.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Hesco Racing

http://www.airwildpilotshop.com/More...product&id=662

Something like that would do the trick. Note the high voltage but with that boat you can run a car battery and it would be fine.

Enjoy

Cobus
Old 08-09-2010, 05:14 AM
DFB

That thing is a beast!!! Can we see under the hood???? [X(]
Old 08-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

She is not the only one ever built as I have seen 2 or 3 side by side (theres a blue one and white one out there too). The website I had no longer works and I remember the mold on e-bay almost a year ago. I remember one on e-bay with what can best be described as an accident waiting to happen under the hatch - tupperware radio box with ridiculous setup and no failsafe or other consideration (I have the pics..... somewhere). Your boat looks decent from the outside so hope it was made with a little more attention to detail. The other thought - that boat is a hydro - is it going to fly like a hydro should running a jet? I guess there are full scale jet powered hydros so perhaps it will work.

For servos - there are standard servos with plenty of punch without going all industrial. Over 1500 oz/in from this servo for $160 (assembled) http://www.servocity.com/html/spg785...tom_mount.html and almost 4500 oz/in for $230 from this servo - http://www.servocity.com/html/spg795..._rotation.html (other ratios available). These being standard servos will be plug and play with standard receivers and batteries.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Dreamin Hemi

SWEET boat!  Please take some pictures of the innards of that beast and share...PLEASE!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Bhelm

thanks for all the information so far, here are some pics of inside the hull,
i have to go get the reciever and the other servos the original owner had, I really wounder how many of these were made and what the value of it is.
the single cyl 300cc motor runs pretty good but needs some tuning, i have to go pick up the 550 twin that bolts right in which the original owner still has
any one know what top speed on these are ?

Name:	Wu60322.jpg
Views:	1360
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1481598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50709.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1481599  
Old 08-09-2010, 08:04 PM
tropheus29

I'm sorry to say this but I have to? Is this your first RC boat? If so, you might want to cut your teeth on something smaller first. Only reason I say this is because of the sheer size of that boat. Could turn into a nightmare without some experience around you in running it for the first few times. Just saying.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Bhelm

i have had some other rc boats nothing of this size but its basicly a jetski with a remote, i build motors and race a fully moded 1300 with over 200hp so this is small potatos in the world of watercraft. i have a private lake to run it on so im not indangering anyone. if it wrecks it wrecks, but it does have a bult in kill which is all remote. everting will be tested multiple times before it goes on the water. and if it never makes it to the water ill just pull the motor and hang it on the wall of my garage.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 PM
jtdesign

Well it defendantlly gets the COOL factor award!
bit a hydroplane like this is generally a three point design, riding on the sponsons and the prop! so I would be a little bit skeptical on how well it will perform with the intake great needing to be in contact with the water. the prop as the ride surface is actually acting as a paddle wheel, because it's a surface piercing prop and walking across the water, so to speak.

But hey if you could take some pic's of the bottom & rear end I would reely like to see those.

With you being a jet-ski guy it may have ended up in the right hands, does it have flotation?

just take the correct safety measures ; cause this is a great liability & could turn into a couple hindered pound torpedo. a 41" RC boat at 50 mph will pierce the side of a glass runabout & go right through a aluminum boat
Old 08-10-2010, 12:29 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that's impressive, but yeah take some pics of the inside.

Makes my 60~ boats look like toys.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Bhelm

rear pics and bottom pics

Name:	Mk25311.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1482150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46328.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1482151  
Old 08-11-2010, 01:26 AM
jtdesign

Well its hard to tell, by the pics but they did bring another question to mind.

In your opinion does it look like someone cannibalized a jet-ski hull to utilize the engine compartment & the pump & nozzle, and then build the rest of hull around it?

Is there a turn fin on it.?

I also want to what do you think this monster weigh.

A convention hydroplane will have the center of gravity or bulk of the weight, just behind the rear of the sponsons since the tail is ment to be up and out of the water to free the boat of the friction from the water which is 800 times greater than air. less boat in the water the faster they go,although theres alot more to it than that you get the Idea.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Bhelm

From what i was told, the middle section was from a kawi js300 and the rest is all hand laid fiberglass, the one rear pic you can see the rudder, the jetdriveis the propulsion yet therudder is for steering,should stick to the water well

so far i have gone through the motor replacing things that just dont look right. its running a double reciver. incase one fails it ****s down there are alot of fail safes on this thing.
Ihad to reweld the exhaust becasue of some hairline cracks and remountthe mainbattery.

the only servo that i have found powerfull enough is thishttp://www.servocity.com/html/spg400..._rotation.html
its@20ft/lb of torque

i havebeen lookingintousing awindow motorbut im not that familar with an easy way to set this up, if anyone has information that would be great. once i have steering ill haveit on the lake and on YouTube

Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM
jtdesign

I have never done anything on this scale but maybe someone in the giant scale rc section can help you out .

good luck
Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If more force is needed I am sure you could make a linear actuator work for you - http://www.servocity.com/html/linear_servos.htm 25 pounds and 115 pounds of force

Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 AM
shockwave3895

if you want to stay with electronic type means, then a windshield wiper  motor should do the trick, post a vid when it runs!!
Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 AM
giantscalejim
My Feedback: (50)

Brandon,

Did you ever get that thing going? Were you able to solve the steering problem? If you have had enough fun with it and want to move on let me know, I am interested in it.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:16 PM
scuba6

Swear this thing was just on ebay last week! Almost positive!
Old 10-28-2014, 07:39 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it for sale yet??... was gonna build,,,but waiting..and wanting!!
Old 11-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

The big problem is that for the boat to ride properly, the back end would need to be out of the water. That means there wouldn't be any water getting to the impeller and that means it wouldn't move on it's own. Something no one really seems to understand when they decide to build these big toys
Old 12-07-2017, 09:39 PM
DR1STEVE

Default 1/3 scale Miss Budweiser

Hi my name is Steven Smith. I am the original builder of this boat, I dont know if I could answer any Questions but I will try.
Originally Posted by Bhelm
Hello all
Im trying to find some information on a Hydroplane that is now sitting in my garage, i have searched high and low and have found nothing on this amazing boat . I recived it in trade from the person who built it. its 9 ft yes 9ft long and has a single cyl kawasaki jetski motor in it. I was told its theonly one ever built .I race and buld jetskis so i thought this would be fun. the problem im having is finding a stering servo large enough for this boat. if any one has an idea i would greatly appreciate it. i have added some photos
Old 12-11-2017, 02:00 PM
crapshooter

to set up for a large steering control on a model of that scale just like large r/c aircraft of 1/3 scale etc etc , you need to find a large size digital metal or titanium geared servo and buy 3 of them as these 3 servos will be needed to turn that size model . the servos will be mounted in - line via bellcrank conections as used with the large scale r/c aircraft . take a look at Desert Aircrafts website and you will see available set ups as i mentioned. only issue is when you go large you pay large.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Got RPM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys, most of this thread is over seven years old. The original posters hasn't logged in since 2010. I’m sure the boat is long gone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.