RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Speed - RC Gas Boats (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/)
-   -   apache owners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/speed-rc-gas-boats-236/6948226-apache-owners.html)

Ultimate48 02-01-2010 09:23 PM

RE: apache owners

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine 50" Apache fun boat.

lolamon 02-21-2010 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my Aeromarine 56" APACHE.

apache 1 02-22-2010 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres my old school 57" Capricorn Apache I built about 12 years ago before I learned computer and what was available. She's still my favorite.

dblthunder 03-08-2010 12:04 PM

hi, im here but it seems this site has the answers i ve been looking for.have enjoyed reading here. i have a 52"team apache deep v. it had the out drivewhen i got it minus a few parts. im looking for the gears and coupler from transom to out drive.since i didnt know where to get these parts iv since changed it a surface drive. also thinking of installing an hpi 5.9 that im doing some work to. any thoughts? thank you.

Justaddwata 03-08-2010 12:21 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I am unfamiliar with the HPI 5.9. If it is the 5.9cc air cooled Nitro motor used in some of the HPI trucks then I believe it would be inadequate for such a large boat. 90% of apaches you will find 50" and over run gas. The others will run Electric or large nitros (15cc or twins). It is a big boat that takes a good amount of power to come alive.

Additionally an enclosed hull is not a good home for an air cooled head. Air cooled nitros are more popular in out riggers and the like where they see more air flow.

If it is a different motor your referencing please post a link.

dblthunder 03-08-2010 12:31 PM

yes you are correct on the enjine the boat has an echo in it now i believe it has 1.5 roughly hp. the 5.9 stock has 3.75 and can run 39,500 rpms am i wrong in thinking this would be better? im also doing some work to it  so itll either be better than styock hp or it wont be.

dblthunder 03-08-2010 12:37 PM

also i was going to make a water cooled head for it, if its worth trying. otherwise it may go in the tiger shark i have since it hasnt run but once with the original eng.

martno1fan 03-08-2010 01:47 PM

Its way too small ,to push a big boat like this you need a big prop and for that you need a motor with lots of power(torque) your little nitro truggy engine wouldnt even move this hull.If you want to go nitro then you will need a big one something like a .90 engine ;).Your engine would be best suited to a hull arround say 36-40".

lolamon 03-08-2010 02:00 PM

There's a huge difference from geared engine like in the cars compared to direct drive in a boat. In the boats you need lots of torque to make the HP. The little nitro just won't do it for you.

dblthunder 03-08-2010 02:42 PM

well thank you makes sense to me. guess ill keep the echo in it, are there any hop ups that make a deasent impreovement in its power? and is the exhaust  patern the same as the zen. engines? thank you for the info and your time.

Justaddwata 03-08-2010 02:49 PM

To take it to an extreme - It is a bit like comparing a motor from a race car that makes 1000 hp and the motor in a tug boat that makes 500 hp. You would never move the tug boat with a car motor (and would not have much fun in a car with a tug motor).

A better option might be to sell or trade the nitro for a zenoah or Sikk. They will deliver a night and day difference in performance in such a boat compared to the Echo (and nitro).

martno1fan 03-08-2010 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: dblthunder

well thank you makes sense to me. guess ill keep the echo in it, are there any hop ups that make a deasent impreovement in its power? and is the exhaust patern the same as the zen. engines? thank you for the info and your time.

Walbro wa 167 carb will improve its performance if its got the usual stock carb ? also not sure what spacing they have as regards the exhaust ,measure the distance centre to centre for the mounting bolts.
Mart

lolamon 03-08-2010 03:22 PM

Consider the Echo as a stepping stone in your path to RC Boating growth. I have been there and would do it again if I started all over not knowing what I know now. Justaddwata really knows his stuff and is a wealth of knowledge. I wouldn't put any more money into the echo but take that money and the money you can make selling the Echo and purchase a new in box Zenoah 26cc marine engine with a 257 carb for $200 from Gizmomotors. Thats including shipping in the US and an awsome deal. Then you will need to find some mounts and a tuned exhaust setup. The end result will be "Why didn't I do this before!".

cheesewizz69 03-08-2010 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of my fifth Apache. It had it's maiden run last Saturday but I had to bring it in after a servo came loose. I really did not get a chance to put together a build thread on this one but if anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them.

I still need to pull some stickers off of it, plug up some extra holes in the transom and paint her up with a new theme.

260PUM Frankenstine Engine (MRD bottom end with RCMK Head)
3" Offset Header
1" Band Pipe
Futaba Fasst 2.4
Hitec HS805BB Rudder
Hitec HS-56445MG Throttle
Speedmaster Rudder
Intl R/C Drive
Warehouse Hobbies Acc's

Leo

lolamon 03-09-2010 12:16 PM

Did you make the bow rail? I like it.

cheesewizz69 03-09-2010 01:37 PM

The bow rail is made out of SS and the down legs are soldered on. I will take a close up picture tonight and post it.

lolamon 03-09-2010 01:52 PM

SS tig rod I'm guessing, good idea.

cheesewizz69 03-09-2010 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: lolamon

You are correct. Here are a few pictures of the rail.

specialk1 03-09-2010 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: cheesewizz69

ORIGINAL: lolamon

You are correct. Here are a few pictures of the rail.
another good looking hull :D

justintime2w8 03-09-2010 07:56 PM

I like that rail. Small details sometimes make a huge difference.

Justaddwata 03-09-2010 11:15 PM

Boat looks great Leo - but it sounds like you might have a few more grab rails to make ;)

lolamon 04-04-2010 11:41 PM

ORIGINAL: V8Rider

Most of these boats are very, very nice. But I would like to know just how fast they are. Qickdraws and gearboxes and counter rotating custom props, etc., etc. Very nice but how fast?? Come on guys, break out the GPS and lets hear the truth!
Rick
The best I have had this year was 54.2mph with the GPS on board with a single modified Zenoah, clutched, Voodoo 7016/3 prop and quite pipe. I have since added zero drag seals and shall see what happens next outing.

wannagofast115 04-05-2010 06:51 PM

Anyone selling an apache 57 hull with or with out hardware? let me know interested in getting one.Thanks everyone

Watsy 04-12-2010 05:22 AM

hey guys can someone tell me how to upload pics on this forum. otherwise you can check out my viper apache 56 in my marina.
its running omen mod zen, 67/17/3 voodoo and futaba 3PL 2.4 radio.
nothing to fancy but its good fun. still yet to put some trim tabs on her (a bit unstable at high speeds) and maybe a B.H. pipe.
oh and the air scoops are from the KOS (best thing that boat gave me).
im gonna take her out this weekend and hopefully get some vid of her. if your in AUS check out viper hulls site these boats ROCK!! [>:]

Justaddwata 04-12-2010 06:58 AM

Hi Watsy,

Nice apache!!

I have copied your pics over from your Marina
You can also upload pics if you click the reply button and then accessing the Click here to upload images and files! text at the bottom of the text box.

http://origin-images.rcuniverse.com/.../lg-183699.jpg

http://origin-images.rcuniverse.com/.../lg-183674.jpg

http://origin-images.rcuniverse.com/.../lg-183675.jpg

http://origin-images.rcuniverse.com/.../lg-183673.jpg