Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Running Issue OS Max XM

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Running Issue OS Max XM

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 AM
dynacopas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Issue OS Max XM

Well I got my boat cranked and what I thought was idling decent on land. So I put it in the water and 20 feet away it stalled. I turn the mixture screw on land to richen it and it stalls. Any ideas. I turned the HSN 2 and 1/2 turns as indicated in the manual. Should I turn the HSN more to richen it more in the water under throttle.

Turn the mixture screw in to lean it out

Turn it outward to richen it

Is that correct?

Old 05-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Dan S

Default RE: Running Issue OS Max XM

weather it is the mixture screw (LSN small one in the carb barrel) or the needle assembly (HSN long one) they adjust like you said, in for lean and out for rich.
so yes, you are correct.

keep in mind that both of them need to be adjusted.
if its starts fine than you LSN should be pretty close, if it runs great on the table and it dies in the water than your HSN (long needle screw) is too lean.
once you have it set, you will have to blip the throttle on the bench so the engine doesn't load up and die.

Dan.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:44 PM
dynacopas

it ran fine a minute ago for the first 25 yards and then it died. I have the HSN needle 2-1/2 turns I will go to 3 and try it when the glow plug starter charges.. should I go more then just 3 total turns .......just fished it out of the lake 4 times with my fishing pole. Its getting old going fishing for it.

It starts right up and idles great.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Open the HSN 4 turns and start working it in. Is the fuel fairly recent?

JD
Old 05-18-2011, 04:51 PM
dynacopas

New fuel just bought it.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:46 PM
dynacopas

Well I figured out partially why its stalling. when turning right the throttle cable is to long thus closing the throttle blade and stalling. As for turning left. I have no clue. I cut a 55 gallon drum in half and going to use it for a test tank. That beats fishing in the lake for it. Ran about 75 yards before stalling this last time.  I turned the HSN out to far and the needle came out. So that's where I am at. I turned it out 4 turns and just before it stalled it popped like it loaded up with fuel and partial backfire. Ideas? Is it to rich now. Is it a carb prob? Do I need a new carb. It fires and idles great.

One last note. With the HSN at 4 turns on land the throttle is still really responsive. It don't have a lag to it like its really rich.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Is anyone sensing an air leak that's leaning it out besides me?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:33 PM
dynacopas

where would I or how would I begin to find an air leak? I am open to any suggestions. The only way I would know to search for one is to spray the motor down with soapy water while running.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Hydro Junkie

All that will do is pull the soapy water into the engine. Air leaks are normally found at the head, around the carb and through the bearings. I'm sure the engine guru's will show up eventually
Old 05-20-2011, 05:02 AM
Dan S

it sure does sound like an air leak.
having the HSN so far out that it falls out and the engine is still running fine on the bench and not spitting fuel out the carb tells me something is not wright.

almost looks like the HSN is not doing its job what so ever, weather the HSN is 1 turn out or 4 turns out.
take the carb apart, clean it, set your needles and try it again.

if all else fails one of the bearings (if not both) could be leaking, they may only need to be cleaned or replaced.
bearings should be spinning nice and smooth, a leaking seal, or slightly rough bearing that leaks will make you chase the needle all day long and if not taken cared of, will always end up with a dead engine with more than just bearings to replace.

Dan
Old 05-20-2011, 10:29 AM
dynacopas

Got it running. Cleaning the carb again did th trick. Must have sucked up some trash from the tank or in the fuel. Ran almost a tank of fuel before it hit a turtle or fish and flipped over hull up in the water. The radio box got water. Hopefully the servos and battery will dry out. And all will be running again. Its running decent in the water has to be fine tuned I think now.

Back to water in the control box. Will the receiver, battery, and servos dry out and work again or are they JUNK?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Dan S

glad you got it working and also glad it was just the carb.

open the receiver and the servos and dry them out.
once nice and dry get your self some corrosion X and spray the boards in the servos and the receiver.
there is a thread here that shows another method to water proofing, I will see if I can find it and will post the link. The corrosion X works great for me and many other boaters.

Now you need to fix the radio box, make her water tight, water in engine is no big deal but in the electronics, that can get expensive.
if you don't have one already, cut yourself a piece of plexiglass so it fits nicely inside that nice groove you have around the radio box, than use some good 3M clear tape.
make sure that everything else is sealed and there should not be any water going in.

Dan.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:00 PM
dynacopas

its back to its old tricks this evening. What a PITA. Think I am better off sticking to land.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:19 PM
dynacopas

finally got it figured out. Its running decent now.  I can burn a full tank of fuel practically before it dies or I bring it in. Question is will I have to tune it again with a different prop on it.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: dynacopas

finally got it figured out. Its running decent now. I can burn a full tank of fuel practically before it dies or I bring it in. Question is will I have to tune it again with a different prop on it.
You should always retune your needles when changing fuel, exhaust, or props. They all contribute to the load on the engine. Even a prop change of 1mm will have an effect on the load of the engine. More pitch = more load which requires (most likely) more fuel.

Always set your high speed needle first, running at WOT. Start overly rich and lean it out noting when the RPMS sag a little at WOT. Richen 1/16-1/8 turn and you should be close to set. Now set your idle needle so it transitions from idle to WOT smoothly. Once you get a clean transition, richen only slightly and go have fun. If you adjust one, you adjust the other since at low-mid rpm both needles effect each other on most engines.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:24 PM
dynacopas

Well I got the steering situation pretty much solved. However when the boat is starting out getting moving. The nose is going almost 12 o'clock sky high. But the boat isn't going anywhere. Then its like the water catches up and gives the boat a kick in the butt. It did this several times and then it finally went. I am gradually leaning the motor out and its running a lot better. Is the boat cavitating? Is this is a prop issue. if so is it just a matter of a bigger prop.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

If you're giving the boat a toss launch, it sounds like it could be too much throttle finger
Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious but this statement here:
Well I figured out partially why its stalling. when turning right the throttle cable is to long thus closing the throttle blade and stalling.
Inquiry Do you have the Cable anchored at the servo point and also anchored to the engine? Turning the outboard engine either direction should never change or Close the Carb.

See My pic.
You need to do this in order for an outboard throttle cable to work. See my pics on couple of Mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51702.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1614245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15853.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1614246  
Old 05-24-2011, 07:12 PM
dynacopas

ORIGINAL: jw637362

Just curious but this statement here:
Well I figured out partially why its stalling. when turning right the throttle cable is to long thus closing the throttle blade and stalling.
Inquiry Do you have the Cable anchored at the servo point and also anchored to the engine? Turning the outboard engine either direction should never change or Close the Carb.

See My pic.
You need to do this in order for an outboard throttle cable to work. See my pics on couple of Mine.
I got that situation remedied. I had some adjusting to do on the throttle cable and the servo.