Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 21 Tunnel Talk

craig, pond looks nice! I would have to get rid of that small island though! But would sure be nice to have a pond at the house!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whoa, hold up there just a minute. I do not claim to be an expert on these or any other engine but what I do know is what I have tried and what has worked for me. I race my tunnels and I do not have unlimited funds to put in them. I am not easy on them and everything i tell you has come from personal experience. In 5 years of racing these I've broken just about everything you can break on one. I am not an engine modifier. I do some but only to the extent that it will not cause long term harm to the engine. As Rodney pointed out earlier you can win a ton of races without going 55 mph. My best tunnel is probably touching 50 on a good day with a mild headwind. That's not to say I wouldn't love to have a 55MPH tunnel because I would! I run 65% nitro in my engines and haven't broken anything since early last season (and that was just a flex shaft before I changed to brass liners). When I finish running I flush the motor with WD-40 and then put some Corrosion X in it. I would recommend you change the rod as soon as you can afford to. The XM rods do not have lube holes in the bottom and they will wear the crank pin out of round. The plugs you have are OK. I use O'Donnell blue plugs with the 65%. I also restrict the water to the head until when the engine comes in hot it's somewhere in the low 220's or almost too hot to touch. Running them colder just wears them out (IMO). When mine goes by, if you look close, you can see water just barely dribbling out.
    Black Cat Racing

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/profile.cfm?section=gallery&memid=25746

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rodneypierce

craig, pond looks nice!* I would have to get rid of that small island though!* But would sure be nice to have a pond at the house!!
    Thanks, I'm slowly getting rid of the island by digging out by hand. An excavator can't reach it. It looks worse now because the water level is so low from the summer drought. The 9.5 feet tall driver's stand makes driving around the island allot easier.

Craig Mapstone, IMPBA #20305S, Stony Pond Model Boat Club
    2012 D1 20 Hydro Champion

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info guys...

So do you restrict the water flow the whole time, or just to warm it up then bring the boat in, remove the restriction and go back out?
    FloatWays.com - A Million Ways to Float!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oh man, that sucks! They cant reach in there with a long arm eh? Ha, digging out by hand must suck with an island that size. I bet the tall drivers stand sure does help with that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kiteboarder

Thanks for the info guys...

So do you restrict the water flow the whole time, or just to warm it up then bring the boat in, remove the restriction and go back out?
    Restrict all the time. The head needs to be hot to the touch, so that you can only leave your fingers on there for 2-3 seconds. It's a pain adjusting, but full water will over cool in most cases. I tie zipties on my water lines to restrict, but other have better ways.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Danny, restrict it the entire time.  I have to run custom turned jackets on my .21's, to get the volume of water very small in order to get heat in them.  My thunder tiger has the outlet hole soldered shut, with a .032 hole drilled in it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool guys... I'll probably get one of those infrared thermometers and tune the water flow to the temp readings. The water here only changes 10 degrees from winter to summer (58F to 68F) and usually stays right at 62F, so once I get a good setting it should be easy to stay within a safe range.

Back in Puerto Rico I was running in 80+ degree water. So over-cooling was not that big of a problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Racer 504, Welcome to tunnel talk.

Craig, Yea faster than the last vid I saw for sure!

Danny, I use WD-40 too.
    Gene

Saved a pic from Mike Z,
    OS Ver2, Liked the knife edge on tha rod and Mike said the pin boss on the piston looked beefer too,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jg14090.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	1656526  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also some picks of piped outboards I have saved:

Craig the CMB has the shaft oiler Roger was talking bout.
    Gene

Name:	Lj24076.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	1656588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy78970.jpg 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	1656589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze85759.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	1656590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ga77851.jpg 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	1656591  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a picture of a VSpec Speed Rod. A car guy turned me on to theses a couple years ago. Looks similar to the one in the new air cooled engine. In real life they look like they are a machined piece while the V2 rod in the picture looks like it may be cast. But it's hard to tell from the pic.

Name:	Rp43193.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	6.2 KB 
ID:	1656627  
    Black Cat Racing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice piece, Does look a bit like the V2 rod,
    Thanks for the tip,
    Gene

I believe our roving reporter Ron O. might have a report from Hobart when he checks in Friday Sept 9th,
    Think JD will be there too......

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On the topic of XM rods and the fact that they do not have lube holes on the bottom end. I noticed that the XM crank pin does have an angled lube hole. But not sure if it works as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys, slight change of topic but still on Tunnels. I know both Gene and Craig have VS1's. Did you guys blueprint them when building? I checked mine on a glass table and it's perfectly true from one side to the other. The only thing is the very last 1" of the sponsons goes up about 1/32" of an inch (when looking at the hull right side up on the table.

I was thinking of sanding it down a bit to make the last 1" perfectly straight with the the other 10" in front of that. The question is, should I? And... if you guys did do this, what did you use to seal the wood again?

Thanks, Danny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys, slight change of topic but still on Tunnels. I know both Gene and Craig have VS1's. Did you guys blueprint them when building? I checked mine on a glass table and it's perfectly true from one side to the other. The only thing is the very last 1'' of the sponsons goes up about 1/32'' of an inch (when looking at the hull right side up on the table.

I was thinking of sanding it down a bit to make the last 1'' perfectly straight with the the other 10'' in front of that. The question is, should I? And... if you guys did do this, what did you use to seal the wood again?

Thanks, Danny
    I don't have a VS1, but I have a friend that has one that I run with. Mine is a Vision Craft.

I would not touch the bottom, unless you notice a handling problem after running it for a while, but that's me. I would imagine the sponsons are designed that way for a purpose.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Blackout

On the topic of XM rods and the fact that they do not have lube holes on the bottom end. I noticed that the XM crank pin does have an angled lube hole. But not sure if it works as well.
    Apparently, they don't work as well. The original Version 1 rods tend to wear the crank pins to a point that they are no longer round. We have seen them wear as much as 2 thou. in a season while the Speed rods will wear the pins down maybe 1/2 thou in a season. Also it looks like the Version 2 air cooled rods have an oil hole in the bottom end.
    Black Cat Racing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys, slight change of topic but still on Tunnels. I know both Gene and Craig have VS1's. Did you guys blueprint them when building? I checked mine on a glass table and it's perfectly true from one side to the other. The only thing is the very last 1'' of the sponsons goes up about 1/32'' of an inch (when looking at the hull right side up on the table.

I was thinking of sanding it down a bit to make the last 1'' perfectly straight with the the other 10'' in front of that. The question is, should I? And... if you guys did do this, what did you use to seal the wood again?

Thanks, Danny
    Unless the instructions with the boat tell you expressly not to touch the bottom I would consider blueprinting any tunnel. I've recently done my 2 Cobra's and a friends TS3 and they have all benefited both handling wise and speed wise. I'm almost positive that 1/32 rise at the back of your sponson should not be there. Instead of sanding the sponson down to it I would consider adding material to bring it up some. Look up Bernoulli's Principle and do some research on blueprinting. You might be surprised at the extent people are going to to get their sponsons absolutely flat.
    Black Cat Racing

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Read on IW that it has a purpose on the VS1's and all three of mine were made that way too. Supposed to help with offsetting torque is what OP said. Also on that boat make sure you check all the seams for good seals. In anything pre-fab, ish happens and you would much rather be safe than sorry.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Stu welcome,

Well this is interesting......
    I just checked mine again and its flat as a pancake from the transom 10" forward.
    Had mine for a while maybe a early'r build? Dunno...... Bout all I did was some lite sanding block action with 220 grit paper.
    Followed by a red scotchbrite to a satin finish. Danny I say run it and if you feel it needs to be adjusted you can always change things later.

I use "cause I can pick pick it up local" SIG sanding sealer and SIG clear,
    But again just my taste,
    Gene

OH! and hey what Stu said, Check all the seams for voids,
    Mine had some dry spots in the corners of the radio box barely held together.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies and recommendations. I'm actually making lots of adjustments, including blue-printing (which I finished a few hours earlier). I'll get back later with more details. It's midnight and I gotta go to work tomorrow.

Thanks, Danny

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also if you are needing any setup info there are a ton of posts on here where Mike has posted his setup on here. What motor do you plan to run? I have one each, OS and then both KB's. All run great with Mike's setup and don't be afraid to add the weight. these boats are a little light being WOF.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Geno, that third picture up there of the piped outboard was my old TT done by JW.  That was on my HTB.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Rodney,
    Yea not many pics of piped TT's
    Dats cool that JW worked on it,
    Gene

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gene, another blast from the past. I ran into some old pix the other night while looking for something else so I thought that I'd scan some.
    This was one that my wife wrecked at a race (it wasn't her fault and won't go into details) but repaired it and my son raced it. He trophied, a 3rd place finish against 12 others in his first ever race.

Name:	Xv63750.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	175.1 KB 
ID:	1659307  
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Gene, another blast from the past. I ran into some old pix the other night while looking for something else so I thought that I'd scan some.
    This was one that my wife wrecked at a race (it wasn't her fault and won't go into details) but repaired it and my son raced it. He trophied, a 3rd place finish against 12 others in his first ever race.
    Hi Ron, Do you happen to know what hull that is in your picture? Just curious. Thanks
    Black Cat Racing

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast