Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

on board starting system

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

on board starting system

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:12 PM
wilson0706

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on board starting system

ok so i wanna know if anyone has tried to build or knows of an on board starting system?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:53 PM
rcguy1411

Default RE: on board starting system

ive seen one it worked better on land (no load on the prop) due to the fact that we dont run clutches is why they aren t common place
Old 07-19-2011, 07:19 PM
wilson0706

do you think there is a way to build an on board starter for a prop with a load...my idea was to take like a 7.2V bat and and electric boat motor and somehow wire it to a sensor that links to a box i would carry on my person...any ideas? (i do this idea is far fetched but it beats swimming to get my boat)
Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

About the closest thing right now is the Traxxas Nitro-Vee yet still has to be fired up on shore. That boat is already heavy as it is without adding more weight of a complete onboard system.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:45 AM
wilson0706

ok well if i figure something out y'all will know hahah im determend to figure something out
Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 AM
misshydro

Not really Ron.. We have a traxxas nitro V.. It does have a electric start with electric glow inginighter and a electric motor if it dont restart to get in into the shore..wonder why its a turd in speeds? could if be with no much junk to load on the weights.. two electric motors that run on a 7.2 battery pack..
Old 07-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Ron Olson

Imagine the weight if it hd a 7.2-volt pack installed! It's just not a practical way to set up a nitro boat. If it has to be restarted on the water, it probably has some issue like a blown glow plug or bad fuel mixture that can't be fixed offshore.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
wilson0706

ok so tell me what you think i have the Miss Vegas Duces hydro plan boat....and when i turn i let off the throatle it'll bog out and die me and my buddy have tried and tried to turn it we took it to the locale nitro guy he turned it great it ran like a champ for a about 3 to 4 hours and back to bogging and dieing..once i get it back itll start right back up tho.....any ideas?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:19 PM
rcguy1411

nitro engines need constant tunning as air temp and humidity change so will the tune of the engine
Old 07-21-2011, 05:26 AM
Dan S

wilson,
like rcguy said, they require constant tuning.
This is why we always pay attention to the temperature (outside temp), after 3 or 4 hours of great running the outside temperature has now changed, it could be a bit warmer, a bit cooler, the humidy level may have changed.
eventually you will know if you need to lean the High speed needle or if you need to make it rich a bit.

Now, for the starter system;
we use 12 volts on land to start our engines (yes some boats come with a tiger drive system using 7.2 volts like the Vegas Deuce) and you need 1.5 to 2 volts to glow the plug.
now you need a shaft to connect to your tiger drive starter, an electric motor strong and fast enough to spin the engine under load, you need to come up with a voltage regulator that will reduce the 7.2 from your battery to around 1.5 to 2 volts so you can re-glow the plug.
this is a lot of extra weight which will make the deuce go no where.

As for the Traxxas Nitro Vee, it does not have a system to restart the engine on the water, it has an RTS system (Return To Shore), it does not restart the engine, it uses an electrical motor to engage a gear to spin the prop so you can bring it back to shore if your nitro engine died or ran out of fuel.

Dan.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:03 AM
rcguy1411

im thinkin with the hull you wan t to do this with is a poor choice think it could be done in a hull with more room to place batteries and all the parts and pices there is a boat that came rtr that had a clutch although i think there were a few problems with the clutch bearrings failing the engine would be a good candate the homemade system that i saw used a third channel that engaged two micro switches one to ignite the glow plug the other the starter it did work on land but i never saw it work on the water think he was using two 7.2 volt batteries if you want to mess with this i will try and help as much as i can good luck
Old 07-21-2011, 07:14 AM
wilson0706

hey thanks guys...guess its back to playing..tuning..and playing some more...ill let yall know how my in water starter works out lol
Old 07-23-2011, 06:38 AM
specialk1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Imagine the weight if it hd a 7.2-volt pack installed! It's just not a practical way to set up a nitro boat. If it has to be restarted on the water, it probably has some issue like a blown glow plug or bad fuel mixture that can't be fixed offshore.
do you rember when Aeromarine Laminates made them in the 70's and 80's to start your boat in the water . this is on a OPS 65 .it has a 4 th servo on a swich to start it . it works 50/50
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80482.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1638820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64887.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1638821  
Old 07-23-2011, 08:52 AM
wilson0706

haha thats before my time..thank god for google....and thanks for the tip brother
Old 07-23-2011, 09:54 AM
rcguy1411

hey that was the setup that i saw knew there would be some one out there with a pic
Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 AM
wilson0706

game time gentlemen...game time!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Tombsy

Traxxas nitro trucks have a built in starter motor and glow starter only the battery is external, maybe use a smaller battery like a lipo but how would you rig a clutch? Centrifugal like the trucks?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Ron Olson

OK, let's go back to square one for a second.
What size engine are we typing about? The initial posting really didn't tell us much.

SpecialK1, that must have been during my gap between RC boats when I played with the 4-wheelers.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tombsy

Traxxas nitro trucks have a built in starter motor and glow starter only the battery is external, maybe use a smaller battery like a lipo but how would you rig a clutch? Centrifugal like the trucks?
The Traxxas EZ Start system isnt strong enough to turn over an engine of any real size. Since their biggest engine they use is a .20ci (3.3cc) which is not a high compression ABC engine, I doubt it in itself would start anything over 3.5cc. They use a One-way clutch on a starter shaft that drives the crankpin. When the engine starts, the bearing free-spins. This type of setup will not work on most Aero or Marine engines since it is backplate mounted. They weep a little oil into the one-way clutch area since there is just a brass bushing in the backplate to seal around the shaft and not a rubber seal.

Moreover, the internal gears of the EZ start system are nylon and often strip if the engine floods or left to turn for long periods of time.

The idea is sound, but would require some ingenuity and access to a good set of tools. If it were me, I would mill a hub of sorts and incorporate a one-way clutch so when the engine runs, the electric motor quits turning as to not burn the motor's bearings or brushes out.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 AM
wilson0706

ok the engine is only a little .18 aquacraft
Old 07-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Ron Olson

There's the problem. It's already tight in there and adding a starter, clutch and battery pack would be a real challenge not to mention the added weight as it's going to really kill speed. there is no starting system that will fit an AquaCraft engine that I know of, only the Traxxas. You're talking major time and money for something that might not work in the end.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:57 AM
wilson0706

you guys are killing my dreams...jk ok well guess its time to just buy another boat hahah
Old 07-24-2011, 08:25 AM
joseywales

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

There's the problem. It's already tight in there and adding a starter, clutch and battery pack would be a real challenge not to mention the added weight as it's going to really kill speed. there is no starting system that will fit an AquaCraft engine that I know of, only the Traxxas. You're talking major time and money for something that might not work in the end.
Its no different then the traxxas .15 nitro V setup. The vegas has more room then the nitro V.. But remember hydros dont like to be heavy..Or other wise that boat won't getup on plane. You'll be pushing water like a snow plow.