Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

field box battery

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

field box battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Strecker25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default field box battery

hey guys just a quick question, what would you suggest using for a field box battery with enough juice to crank over a .67? I got a small tower hobbies battery and it just doesnt have enough, the leads get hot and it can barely crank over my picco with the plug half loose. I've resorted to our lawnmower battery for bench starts, but its too large to fit in the field box. Would a smaller ATV battery get the job done? amazon has them for 25$ free shipping so i may go that route if it'll work.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 AM
TCHedOff

Default RE: field box battery

Its not the battery, its the starter. A 24 volt will get the job done, but for the small stuff like .12 and 21's, keep your 12 volt around. If water gets into the engine, a 24volt has enough torque to bend a rob etc if the engine is hydrolocked.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Blackout

Yup, you will want 24 volts; two 12 volts run in series.

Even if your starter is not rated for 24volts, you should be o.k. for intermitent use. When that dies, get a Sulivan 24 volt starter and a Speedmaster starter handle. Worth every dollar, especially when you are struggling to get started in 2 minutes time....
Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Blackout

Here is the starter handle....

http://www.rossisales.com/otherprodnew.html
Old 10-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Strecker25

got it, so its not the cranking amps? I just assumed since the same sullivan starter worked fine on a larger battery, but not on the small tower one.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Strecker25

got it, so its not the cranking amps? I just assumed since the same sullivan starter worked fine on a larger battery, but not on the small tower one.
High cranking amps surely helps, but if you want a compact setup, 24 volts is the way to go.

I have three 7.2 volt 1800 mah NiCds and NiMH batteries wired in series for 21.6 volts and that turns over my O.S. 91. The charge does fall fast though.

The best option probably is to go with two 12volt 7 amp "hobby" batteries wired in series.

The jet ski and motorcycle batteries are hit and miss as far as storage over the winter. Sometimes I have gotten three years and sometimes only one year....

Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 AM
advanced builder

I snapped 2 belts on Sat in my CMB .67 And I do have 2 .12 volt in series. The plug was barely treadled. Old school use a torch and heat the head area so that liner can expand. We per-heated the engines before the 2:30 mark on the clock.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also increase the guage of wire on the leads as the are way too small to carry any amps to start the larger engines.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:35 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: f16man

Also increase the guage of wire on the leads as the are way too small to carry any amps to start the larger engines.
Mine has issues due to a few nicks on the prop. That may be why my starter is weak .I did liquid tape the nicks but it did sever a few strands. Thanks for the reminder. it's been a long season. for that cord.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

There are three things you need to remember about electricity:
1) Electricity is like water, more volts pushes more amps just like more PSI pushes more gallons
2) As already stated use larger wires as, like a water hose, bigger diameter power leads allow more current flow at a lower voltage. Where a water hose will expand and burst due to too much pressure, too much current in a wire will cause it to overheat and melt which can result in a fire or personnal injury. This is why electrical codes for buildings require 14 guage wires for 15 amp circuits, 12 guage for 20 amp circuits and so on.
3) The bigger the load, the greater the force you will need. Hydraulic pressure is like electrical wattage. Using a 12/7 battery gives 84 watts which will barely turn on a standard twin tube flourecent light fixture or small radio while not even being enough to get your car's starter to click. By increasing the wattage, that same 12 volts is what will spin your cars starter. By increasing the votage or the current, you have the potential of increasing the power of the starter up to twice what you were getting from that 12/7 battery meaning the starter will be able to start the larger motors

Hope this all makes sense
Old 10-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

There are three things you need to remember about electricity:
1) Electricity is like water, more volts pushes more amps just like more PSI pushes more gallons
2) As already stated use larger wires as, like a water hose, bigger diameter power leads allow more current flow at a lower voltage. Where a water hose will expand and burst due to too much pressure, too much current in a wire will cause it to overheat and melt which can result in a fire or personnal injury. This is why electrical codes for buildings require 14 guage wires for 15 amp circuits, 12 guage for 20 amp circuits and so on.
3) The bigger the load, the greater the force you will need. Hydraulic pressure is like electrical wattage. Using a 12/7 battery gives 84 watts which will barely turn on a standard twin tube flourecent light fixture or small radio while not even being enough to get your car's starter to click. By increasing the wattage, that same 12 volts is what will spin your cars starter. By increasing the votage or the current, you have the potential of increasing the power of the starter up to twice what you were getting from that 12/7 battery meaning the starter will be able to start the larger motors

Hope this all makes sense
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX3kxAA2L4Q[/youtube]

In all seriousness, HJ is right on.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Cute Craig, but I doubt that either Michael Keaton or Martin Mull has a clue as to anything electrical in real life either, that is beyond replacing lightbulbs, batteries and plugging in appliances.
In any case, my water references were to clarify what is actually going on INSIDE a circuit as you can see water and it's characteristics while you can't see an electron or what it's doing.