Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally! My Dumas Hawk 3.5 outrigger. Finishing after 2 yrs off

This is my Dumas Hawk 3.5 outrigger I started back in 08 and never finished. I got it to the painting stage and wasnt happy with it. I then proceeded to sand it down and then lost interest. Now I have some free time on my hands and Im excited to finish it now. I finished sanding the paint off and I put another light coat of finishing epoxy on and then sanded it smooth. Now Im ready for paint, again. Its gonna be set up for the most part just with the hardware they suggest in the manual. Marine Specialties rudder and strut assembly, octura motor mount, and K&B 3.5 engine and tuned pipe. Feel free to add any comments or advice, especially with painting. And I will keep posting on the progress. One question I have is: Is my K&B a good engine or is it real outdated? would I be better off with a newer .21 or so engine? This is my first nitro boat, Ive always ran gas. Any advice form anyone who owns or has ran one of these boats would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu62040.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	1695259   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs58788.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	1695260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xc78112.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	1695261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yr48033.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	1695262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cn78370.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	1695263  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Finally! My Dumas Hawk 3.5 outrigger. Finishing after 2 yrs off

Marine Specialties hardwares are now a rarity! The K&B.21 inboard is a decent engine but a bit outdated by today's standards when compared. Unless you plan on all out racing in IMPBA or NAMBA you'll be pleased with the performances, fancy paint job on an outrigger only add weight which mean more work for the power plan. It is only necessary on 1/8 scale hydros were the look matter(pointswise). The Dumas Hawk like all Dumas boat tend to be heavier than needed so weight saving become more important. Like all outriggers it all comes down to prop choice and adjustment as well as engine and pipe setup. Keep us posted!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im not racing, so Ill just try the K&B until I grow out of it then I can upgrade if I want. Did Marine Specialties go out of business? Any suggestions on a prop? Does Dasboata still do props?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In 2008 marine specialties was for sale, don't know how it went, I used their hardware a lot in the 80's and liked their producys.
    http://www.marinespecialties-rc.com/
    Don't know about Dasboata but for casual running Octura and ABC are perfectly adequate as a starting point once balanced/polished. Cuping and blade modifications are ther next step, off course one thing at a time to judge the effect!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes Dasboata still does props, hes over on jims rc boat dock most all the time also has a website www.dasboata.com

That old school Octura mount even though very nice is way to heavy BUT good, ill explainthe K&B has a weak case the octura mount supports the engine, cradles it so to say as its a 1 piece mount, a speedmaster style mount which is what is most common does not support the case two piece (actually more pieces but you get the idea lol) pull it out and lighten it up a bit (trim some drill holes etc what ever works for you) Im a fan of solid mounts they have up and down sides to them just like the rubber mounts, Also dont count K&B engines out just cause they are old school the hottest 21 nitro engine I have ever run was a modified K&B (even faster than a CMB I used to own) just didnt live as long
    http://www.youtube.com/user/toyotatruckin
    www.aircapitolhobbies.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One way to reduce weight is to toss the 2 rear sponsons and add a ski, like in the Zippkit rigger,covering up that brass shaft. Just an ideal My left rear sponson kept getting water inside. If you ever need a spare hull send me a email I have 2 kits built. I'll never use them hulls. Yes to getting that mount lighter ,drill a few holes.to reduce weight. Or adding a few wood blocks and a Zippkit mount. less than 1/2 the weight. of the Octura mount.
    .In it's day that was good hardware,but a little heavy. I still have my hardware. Except for the rudder that went to see the pond god. I still keep my K&B around. Cut off excess material on the strut if you can.
    Stoney Pond Model Boat Club, Canandaigua, NY
    International racer
    http://neilsrcsite.shutterfly.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got a question about the finishing epoxy. Does the epoxy soak into the wood and seal it or does it need to coat it like a shell over the wood? Im sanding in preparation for paint and was wondering how much I could sand, or if it would matter if I got into the wood a little in some spots?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, yes and yes.
    Epoxy does soak in, TO A POINT
    Epoxy does coat the wood like a shell
    Sanding through the epoxy will allow water to get to the wood so anyplace that you sand through you need to recoat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you want to find out what the boat really needs to get on the water, contact the designer himself, Gary Preusse at 630-279-2451 and he'll sell you what it needs plus answer any other questions that you may have. Every time that I talk to him it's been well worth the lost of a long-distance call. For as old as the design is, it's still a competitive boat in racing. Even the K&B will push it along nicely enough for a play boat.
    Gary even made a .12 sized version of this boat but Dumas wasn't interested in making a kit of it as they didn't see a market in it. Too bad as others are selling a ton of .12 'rigger kits! I've seen Gary's run 78 MPH!
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The guy who won our .12 rigger class this year runs a Hawk. Me, I wasnt able to get to any races after the 1st one ($$ and son's activities) []

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the replies. I think I have all I need except for a prop. I always bought my other props off of Dasboata and had him prep them also. I think I will contact Gary to get a prop recommendation and then give Dasboata a call to prepare one for me. Thinking of maybe skipping the paint job. But not sure yet. I painted it once already and didnt like the way it turned out so I sanded it down and now there are some small spots of primer that didnt get sanded off because of low spots in the epoxy finish. Ive already put another finish coat over it so I have the option of leaving it with the spots showing or painting it. I just really dread the whole painting process. Never did have the patience for it. Lol, thats why its sat unfinished until now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just how old are these Hawk boats anyway?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, I don't know but they've been around for a long time in RC boat years.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

80's, 90's? older?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I want to say late `80's to early `90's. That'd be a good question for Gary. If I think of it I'll give him a call. Gary still races his and up until the past 2 years I know of a few others who were still winning races with them. Most of those have switched over to the JAE .21 kits.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I want to say late `80's to early `90's. That'd be a good question for Gary. If I think of it I'll give him a call. Gary still races his and up until the past 2 years I know of a few others who were still winning races with them. Most of those have switched over to the JAE .21 kits.
    Sounds about right. I found the Dumas Hawk advertised in a 1993 RC Boat Modeler magazine. I'll look and see if it's in any of my older issues.

Craig Mapstone, IMPBA #20305S, Stony Pond Model Boat Club
    2012 D1 20 Hydro Champion

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, thats pretty old.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mhayes462

Thanks for the replies. I think I have all I need except for a prop. I always bought my other props off of Dasboata and had him prep them also. I think I will contact Gary to get a prop recommendation and then give Dasboata a call to prepare one for me. Thinking of maybe skipping the paint job. But not sure yet. I painted it once already and didnt like the way it turned out so I sanded it down and now there are some small spots of primer that didnt get sanded off because of low spots in the epoxy finish. Ive already put another finish coat over it so I have the option of leaving it with the spots showing or painting it. I just really dread the whole painting process. Never did have the patience for it. Lol, thats why its sat unfinished until now.
    I never painted my JAE 21 rigger. Just a few coats of epoxy.
    Craig Mapstone, IMPBA #20305S, Stony Pond Model Boat Club
    2012 D1 20 Hydro Champion

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people doin that. Saves on weight

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What would be a good fuel setup for this boat besides the dual tanks recommended by the manual?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 2 tank system is the only one that fits. Unless you go see[ tanks to you] over on the IW for/sale section. Get a custom built one.
    International racer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Walt Barney, owner of Tanks 2 U can custom-build a tank if you want the extra expense. He probably already has the dimensions.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like ill just stick with the dual tanks since I already have them and thats my only option besides a custom. It just seems like after I assembled them and then sucked through the feed line that it took a little more effort than it should. I didnt want to stall the engine because it couldnt draw the fuel through. Or am I underestimating the draw of the engine? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have stated before that Im used to gas boats. Thanks for the replies.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's not te draw of the engine but the pressure from the tuned pipe. Make sure that's it's plumbed up properly also with no kinks anywhere in the system.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 2 tank system works very well. I never felt any hesitation in the change over. I ran my .21 K&B in the hull. My second engine. I still have the engine. That's how I got rigger fever. I never raced that hull as I loved hitting buoys. I still hit em. not as often. .
    International racer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast