Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Zippkit .21 Outboard Rigger!!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Zippkit .21 Outboard Rigger!!

Old 06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
bigfoot3387
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Zippkit .21 Outboard Rigger!!

dount forget that some of these guys mite stick a brushless motor to that out board drive,just wondering what the conclusion would be on that
Old 06-06-2012, 02:43 PM
fatbill69

except I don't think there are any electric outboard outrigger classes in either the IMPBA or NPBA- I could be wrong though
Old 06-06-2012, 02:52 PM
bigfoot3387

im not into boats to much,it was just one of those ?s,on the craze of brushless,ive seen some of the outboards equipped with brushless,i also wonder if this rigger would perform well with a jet setup,i dount know much on the racing of boats but to a no race user it mite also work
Old 06-06-2012, 03:04 PM
fatbill69

It very well could work, and like I said, I'm not sure if there is an electric outboard outrigger class-there might be. But as far as nitro outboards go, I would skip the O.S. wallet rape and mount a Rossi 3.5 to a REKoutboard leg. That would give it some pretty impressive performance!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: bigfoot3387

dount forget that some of these guys mite stick a brushless motor to that out board drive,just wondering what the conclusion would be on that
Friggin' Fast!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: fatbill69

except I don't think there are any electric outboard outrigger classes in either the IMPBA or NPBA- I could be wrong though
Not sure either as I only use Lipo's for my starter, but the Elmira club has Open Electric and the Zippkit O/B rigger would dominate in that class.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 PM
bigfoot3387

The O/B should be close, but you need to run a high revving, high HP, piped outboard. A Novarossi powerhead would be a logical choice. Let's hope GO builds a powerhead.... ,if that is the case what about running a nitro car moter,is it possible,some of these motors tern better numbers than some of the traditional motors,that would also include inboards,and out boards,as a car racer im going to show up with what i think would wipe the pants of another,has any one tryed this,iv only had one boat,and never got to enjoy it, it was always breaking,witch was in my error,but it turned me off to boats,it just got me thinking if i got a boat,rigger, what would make it easier to use,and could i use what i have to run it
Old 06-07-2012, 07:20 PM
F1TUNNEL

I have heard of someone looking at getting a car engine for an ob build because of the numbers-may be a bit of custom work involved though.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

There are a few people that make conversion kits for some inboards to make them outboards. The Rossi's are highly under-rated motors. I had one in a Speedmaster 21 and it gave the MAC's and CMB's a run for their money. They do take at least a gallon of fuel to fully break them in but watch out after that! A hnova Rossi would be another excellent choice as the price is nice even if you had to convert one.
Fat Bill, I hear ya on the O.S. raping. Yeah, they're good motors but also at the price tag of a CMB but not the RPM or HP numbers. They started off as a good competitor for the K&B .21's then pulled them off the US market and later brought them back with a few mods but a cost that was high to pay for what little they did. The .21 OB classes were a great place for the beginning boater or racer to start off at but many got hooked on them and still run them years later. Finding a new K&B is just about impossible as MECOA doesn't really seem to care anymore and the Thunder Tiger is a heavy slug unless you know someone who knows how to mod them and the only real person who knew that passed away about 2 years ago.
If there is any competition left in this class, most designs are 20+ years old. Prather had the Spitfire(?) but other than that, not any other real player that I know of. This boat ought to jump-start the class again!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 AM
fatbill69

Yeah, Prather had the Spitfire I (3.5cc) and Spitfire II (7.5cc). Hyperformance sells both of these models, and one of their own 3.5cc outboard outrigger. Check it out: http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/hydro_hulls.html

And they also sell complete hi-performance outboards: http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/3_5_...d_motor_1.html

For the outrigger, I'd get it with the bullet drive. I think the angle drive in the pic is for tunnels.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 AM
kiteboarder

^^^ Wow. I've been learning as much as I can about RC boats ever since I got back into the hobby last summer after a 19 year hiatus... I'm still baffled when I run into a new company I didn't know of. I admit, something must be done about marketing in this hobby. Even with the internet, it seems relevant information still propagates too slowly when compared to other hobbies and sports. O.o.

I tried to address that with my article on FloatWays last fall - but it looks like I might have to do a followup soon. Anyway, I'm excited with all this OB outrigger business. This will be my next boat.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Blackout

Guys, when pricing the O.S outboard engine, remember that includes your rudder, strut, engine mount, prop shaft, cable, and stuffing tube. Then keep in mind the $399 Tower price goes down if you wait for a coupon. While I would love to pay the old price, the new price isn't too bad.

The Spitfires are an old design from the late 80's. Prather made the hull. I doubt they will be very competitive. Wood works well for riggers because you can get the edges real sharp. Your boat will be less likely to sink too. With fiberglass, you have to count on the person laying up the hull and the mold....
Old 06-08-2012, 09:04 AM
kiteboarder

By the way... I'm sure the ZippKits JAE's are much better, as they are more modern and developed, but are those old Prather OB outrigger shapes any good in comparison? Ron, I assume you would know.

My brother had a Prather Lap Cat III - It was an interesting kit, being epoxy... But man was getting the finish right a pain in the *****!! That epoxy had more pinholes than a sandy beach. It took at least 4 coats of glazing putty with wet sanding and primer between each application to get rid of all of them!

EDIT: @Craig - I see you sorta answered my question there while I was typing. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:23 PM
fatbill69

I was thinking about getting this boat until I saw the price of the hardware kit for it. $10,000!
Check it out: http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=416
Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Blackout

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Not really Bill as the inboards have the HP and RPM advantage right now. They will sell in NAMBA sanctioned event areas as they aleady have a class for them but in the IMPBA they'd have to run up against 70 MPH+ inboard 'riggers.
I think the reliability of the O/B Zippkit rigger will help allot with heat racing. Outboard nitro engines are just so easy.... Probably why I like racing my tunnel so much.

The hull ran all day at Stony ,when he got to Elmira no run good. He did keep right up with some of the hulls. Tim used his 3ed channel to blow by everyone. LOL
Old 06-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Joe Petro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure that if the inboard riggers were also running stock OS 21's, we would have a race...

As for the poor performance at the race, I found that the rear ski was missing from the boat. Apparently I only tack glued it in place and it fell off at some point.
The boat handled good on Friday during practice when I was getting the 3rd channel needle setup.
On Saturday it did not want to turn at all and sometimes turned right or left on it's own... The missing ski would explain that...

Note that the first two prototypes of this boat won first and second at the World Tunnel Chanpionship this year, so the hull is certainly capable of stellar performance.

As for the expensive hardware, we have not set a price yet and our website won't allow a product without a price, so I made one up.
Besides, just imagine the savings when it goes on sale (save over 9 thousand dollars!).

Joe
Old 06-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Joe Petro

We should be ready to release these kits on July 2nd.
We do have a waiting list, so if you want one, let us know and we will notify you when the kits are available.

Joe
Old 06-23-2012, 04:49 PM
advanced builder

That hull ran all day at Stony. FAST. The one thing that got me was the launch. 1/2 rigger launch 1/2 outboard. were you just drop it down. A fun day
Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Love to Build2

Building the Zip JAE 21 witth my grandson, it is his boat. It is going to be a inboard, so I need a cowl for it.  Does anybody know where I can get one?

Thanks  Ronald L Cook
Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM
geraghty

David Preusse

[email protected]

1-847-526-4694
Old 07-20-2012, 11:33 AM
mike walker

Just had my O/B rigger out again for the second time. You guys that are building them are in for a big treat. The boat is just incredible.
Just like Rod says ( It's like its tied to a post in the turns ).
Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Love to Build2

David Preusse I have sent 2 emails and left message on the listed phone number. When you have a chance would you please get ahold of me.

Thanks You very much for the info on here so far. Ronald L Cook
Old 07-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Ron Olson

I bought 2 cowls for my JAE 'riggers from David last year and picked them up at the Hobart Indy Masters Clock Tower race. These need to be painted inside and out and can't be left bare!
Ron, keep trying their number as if David isn't there, Cathy can take care of you.
My guess is that Fred Howe's lower unit should work fine on this boat as Joe and Fred are close friends. This will probably keep peolpe from needing to use the O.S. lower or complete unit for those that want to use the Nova Rossi or other powerhead.

For the person who asked about the Prather OB 'rigger, consider that most of the Prather designs are 20-30 years old and never updated. Outrigger designs have come a long way since then.
Hopefully Joe will bring one along this year to the Hobart race and toss it in the lake during open water.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Love to Build2

Thanks for info Ron. He got ahold of me yesterday. His computer was down. Part is ordered.

Ron
Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Ron Olson

BTW, Joe does have a price on his site now for the hardware kit, it's drastically marked down from $10,000.00!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.