Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Zippkit .21 Outboard Rigger!!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Zippkit .21 Outboard Rigger!!

Old 06-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Blackout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zippkit .21 Outboard Rigger!!

Joe has been working on a .21 Outboard rigger. The kit is not available yet, but will be real soon. Send him an e-mail if you are interested. He was here testing all weekend and the Zippkit .21 O/B rigger is running great! We ran both a K&B and a O.S. and both engines ran very well. The boat corners very well and feels allot like my .21 Zippkit I/B rigger. We did most of the prop testing with the O.S. engine and we are turning bigger props than I can pull with my .21 Vision Craft tunnel. It pulled a X447 with a bone stock O.S. This is telling me that the Zippkit rigger hull is running more free from the water than a tunnel. The speeds are probably a few MPH faster than my Vision Craft tunnel, more stable too, and less sensitive to setup. Tunnels can always be tricky with setup as far as engine angle and height. The Zippkit rigger doesn't much care. The rear sponsons only touch the water when going real slow or dead in the water and the boat sits higher when dead in the water than my inboard Zippkit rigger. The boat launches easy and you can slow down and speed up at will. It's going to be a great boat for beginners too.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 AM
fatbill69

Default RE: Zippkit .21 Outboard Rigger!!

Sounds awesome! Hyperformance has a couple of outboard outriggers as well, but I think they are the only ones that made them, at least until now!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go...

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87964.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1769050  
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 AM
F1TUNNEL

Great stuff Joe!! and another reason why GO should make an outboard. I have read about this build, it is great to see a pic!
All the best,
Dion.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Joe Petro

I can't figure out how to embed the video, so here is a link...

http://youtu.be/KF_u36XRRbo

Old 06-05-2012, 09:23 AM
specialk1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

Here you go...

Joe
looks great . I would like to build this kit . I have had a great time runing my 21 inboard zipkit rigger . I have a nice 3.5 K&B ss that would go with that kit so all the CG are in the rear of the hull . what are you doing for balast in the nose ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28621.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1769405  
Old 06-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: specialk1

ORIGINAL: Joe Petro

Here you go...

Joe
looks great . I would like to build this kit . I have had a great time runing my 21 inboard zipkit rigger . I have a nice 3.5 K&B ss that would go with that kit so all the CG are in the rear of the hull . what are you doing for balast in the nose ?
There is no ballast in the nose. The tub is a little longer and with your radio gear up front, the CG ends up at the same place as the .21 I/B Zippkit rigger.

With the fuel tank close to the CG, the CG will not change as you run down the fuel. That's a nice tuning advantage. Both the O.S. and the K&B drew fuel just fine from that distance too.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 AM
kiteboarder

Hi guys, I'm following the thread for this boat on Intlwaters. - I have a question... The boat should be able to run just as fast as the standard inboard .21 rigger right? Just a matter of being patient and working on the setup? Or does the fact that it's an OB hinder it a bit when compared it it's older Inboard sibling?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: kiteboarder

Hi guys, I'm following the thread for this boat on Intlwaters. - I have a question... The boat should be able to run just as fast as the standard inboard .21 rigger right? Just a matter of being patient and working on the setup? Or does the fact that it's an OB hinder it a bit when compared it it's older Inboard sibling?
The O/B should be close, but you need to run a high revving, high HP, piped outboard. A Novarossi powerhead would be a logical choice. Let's hope GO builds a powerhead....
Old 06-05-2012, 11:14 AM
kiteboarder

^^^ I see. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Joe Petro

ORIGINAL: kiteboarder

Yes but this boat will be faster and have a much higher success rate for the first time boater.
There are only two adjustments; prop and prop height. We supply both so as long as the needle is within a turn of where it's supposed to be, you will be running full tanks of fuel with this boat the first time out.

Don't forget that almost everyone has a 3.5 outboard somewhere...

I really think that this is going to be a big deal. We have two pages of names on the waiting list already, and the boats won't be ready to ship until July 1st !!!

Joe
Old 06-05-2012, 08:09 PM
kiteboarder

Makes total sense. Since most of the boat rides on the sponsons forward, it shouldn't be too finicky with engine angles at the back - unlike tunnels for example that ride at the back. You've got me sold. I put my name on the list on the IW thread already. I'll start setting some money aside for another engine (I'm one of those that doesn't have an extra 3.5 lying around.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 PM
F1TUNNEL

Great vid Joe, looks really good running stock engine!! Everyone loves a rigger and everyone loves an outboard and easy set ups will be a big draw card for the novice boater in my eyes. You guys will have to get a vid running a mod engine for us all!! GOZIPPKITS!!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Joe, to put a You Tube video in your replies, click on the You Tube button above the reply box and paste the link in between the "] ["'s.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF_u36XRRbo&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 06-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Joe Petro

[youtube]http://youtu.be/KF_u36XRRbo[/youtube]
Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Joe Petro

[youtube]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KF_u36XRRbo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
Old 06-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Joe Petro

Yeah, that works...
Old 06-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Ron Olson

Yeah. See that big gap in my posting? That's where you video should have been!
Let's try it again.........
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF_u36XRRbo&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 06-06-2012, 07:53 AM
fatbill69

It seems to me that the outboard has the advantage of being more versatile. With the inboard, it is very difficult to place the prop exactly where you want it, and almost impossible to raise or lower the prop without changing the thrust angle. My guess is that the outboard will in general be faster than the inboard (with same displacement).
Old 06-06-2012, 07:56 AM
kiteboarder

I think the problem in the first post is that you were using the shortened youtube video URL. That doesn't work. And for the second one, it was a full embed code. Seems to not work either. If you use the video URL only, not shortened, it should work. Let's try it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/KF_u36XRRbo[/youtube]

EDIT: Nevermind, it doesn't work either. Something's fishy.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 AM
amax

Here Ya Go...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF_u36XRRbo[/youtube]

to Post YouTube Vids in here you need the URL like This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF_u36XRRbo,, that has the: /watch?v=*******, at the end of it. When your on your Channel Click on the Name of the vid and it will take you to the "Watch Page", copy That URL and Paste it between the [youtube][/youtube] icons.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Joe Petro

ORIGINAL: fatbill69

It seems to me that the outboard has the advantage of being more versatile. With the inboard, it is very difficult to place the prop exactly where you want it, and almost impossible to raise or lower the prop without changing the thrust angle. My guess is that the outboard will in general be faster than the inboard (with same displacement).
The JAE hulls have the advantage of a known setup. The prop goes "here" and it really works the best in that position.
There is no need to experiment, as the best location is known.
That only leaves the prop as a variable, making it quite easy to run and again, increasing the chance of success for the first timer.

That is not to say that you can't try new things. You can, and we encourage it 100 percent. That's how progress is made.

Joe
Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: fatbill69

It depends on which strut you are using for your I/B setup.

While the O/B Zippkit rigger handles great, the I/B Zippkit rigger will always have the advantage of a lower CG and a lower polar moment of inertia. While the CG is the same, the weights are farther from the CG and this will be an issue when transitioning from corners to the straights. How much it will affect handling, I don't know, but it's impossible to design out since it is an outboard rigger. So, I'm pretty sure, I/B riggers will always be a little faster in oval racing.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Ron Olson

Not really Bill as the inboards have the HP and RPM advantage right now. They will sell in NAMBA sanctioned event areas as they aleady have a class for them but in the IMPBA they'd have to run up against 70 MPH+ inboard 'riggers.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Not really Bill as the inboards have the HP and RPM advantage right now. They will sell in NAMBA sanctioned event areas as they aleady have a class for them but in the IMPBA they'd have to run up against 70 MPH+ inboard 'riggers.
I think the reliability of the O/B Zippkit rigger will help allot with heat racing. Outboard nitro engines are just so easy.... Probably why I like racing my tunnel so much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.