Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Problems with O.S. outboard... need help!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Problems with O.S. outboard... need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 04:47 PM
fatbill69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with O.S. outboard... need help!

Hey, so a long time ago, I got a top speed two and mounted an O.S. max 0,21 xm outboard. Back then, I stupidly ran it with no resistance on the prop and the piston and crankshaft flew apart, destroying the cylinder. I replaced this, but I bent one of the little springy things that hold the wrist pin in. Anyway, I took the shim out to give the engine more compression. Iran it today, and it would go good for a couple seconds to a couple minutes, then it would just quit in the middle of the lake. Any idea what the problem is? Is something getting stuck in the fuel line maybe? I need help because it is a real bummer to wait for it for half an hour when it has only run half a minute.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 PM
amax

Default RE: Problems with O.S. outboard... need help!

Did you Break In the New Piston and Sleeve? When you get it back in does the glow plug look WET or Dry or is it fryin plugs?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Jerry Dunlap

It sounds like you might be trying to run the engine too lean. Open the needle-valve a whole turn to allow more fuel to the engine. You might want to consider investing in a small inflatable raft because boats quitting while out on the lake happens fairly often.

JD
Old 06-29-2012, 06:07 AM
fatbill69

ORIGINAL: Jerry Dunlap

It sounds like you might be trying to run the engine too lean. Open the needle-valve a whole turn to allow more fuel to the engine. You might want to consider investing in a small inflatable raft because boats quitting while out on the lake happens fairly often.

JD
Haha, this is so cool- the guy that actually invented my boat! Really like it btw. I'm not so sure if it a mixture problem, because it runs fine for a while and just quits. Actually, the engine runs a little spiratically and doesnt reach full rpms some passes and other passes it does. Maybe I havent porperly broken in the new piston and cylinder? Could it be the flex shaft catching on something? Because when the engine overreved and exploded, it stopped suddenly. I'm wonder if it twisted up the flex shaft allowing it to get caught on occasion.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 AM
racer504
My Feedback: (2)

I'm with Jerry on this. Richen it up and see if you can get thru a tank without it quitting. If you do then start leaning out a little at a time to get to the best setting. The fuel tank is far below the carb on a TS-2 so it will get leaner as the fuel level drops. Also it's not abnormal for that engine to just stop when it's too lean. The flex shaft does not cause that sort of problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:02 PM
fatbill69

You are right, it was too lean. I richned it up a bit, and it ran without quitting. The only problem is even if I lean it to the point of quitting, it will not reach full rpms. I'm running a new three bladed prop on it which will probably add more resistance, but Iwouldnt expect it to lower the rpms so much. It's barely hitting higher rpms than a zenoah gas engine right now. And if I lean it out a little bit more, it quits!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:21 PM
racer504
My Feedback: (2)

Now you're getting into setup stuff. Do you have the setup instructions that came with the boat? They may still be available online somewhere. It sounds like you have the motor too low on the transom. If I remember correctly the boat stand doubled as a setup stand. I would set it so the center of the prop shaft is 1/8" higher than the bottom of the sponsons and perhaps 1degree down angle for starters. That 3 blade prop probably will need to be a lot higher than that to rev up and may need modifications as well.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Jerry Dunlap

I would recommend the Octura M-440 or the Grim Racer 40X53. I run the center line of the prop 1/4" - 5/16" above the bottom of the sponsons on most of my 20 tunnels.

JD
Old 07-04-2012, 08:15 AM
fatbill69

ORIGINAL: Jerry Dunlap

I would recommend the Octura M-440 or the Grim Racer 40X53. I run the center line of the prop 1/4" - 5/16" above the bottom of the sponsons on most of my 20 tunnels.

JD
I was running the Grim Racer 40X53 on it. I'm not sure if the engine is high enough though. I used the template for the O.S. and had to raise the engine as high as it could go with that template, but even with that it might be a tad too low. I think I might switch back to the stock prop, because it only has two blades and would give me more rpms. Would that be a good idea? Although the rpm problem might just be the engine, considering it exploded and was repaired by me.