Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What do you think about this?

I recently picked up a NIB Prather LapCat III, this is the 36"L version. I need a K&B 11cc outboard but can only find decent 7.5's. Will a 7.5 do? This is not to race, more of a father-son build, but I still would like it to haul the mail pretty good. What do you think? Maybe I'll just hold out for a 11cc. Thanks Kelly. Oh, if you happen to have a K&B 11cc outboard or know somebody that does... Please let me know. Thanks again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: What do you think about this?

A new 11cc K&B ob is getting pretty hard to find now and finding the parts to maintain it even harder. The hull will run with a stock K&B 7.5 ob which can still be found new (ebay is handy) and there are still plenty of parts around as well as after market parts to keep them going. A stock engine will be fine for your son and you can always mod the engine for more power down the track. There are plenty of people that will do engine work for you. There is always the new Novarossi 46 option, get a pto and crank and bolt it to a lawless lower. Nova 3.5ob is out now so just maybe you will see a 46ob. Cross your fingers. You will also find CMB ob set ups around if you keep looking.
    All the best,
    Dion.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

in fact the boat will run better with the 7.5 i had one with the 11 cc on and it liked to fly put my 7.5 on and i could run a tank of fuel through it dont get me wrong the boat went like a raped ape with the 11cc on and was a blast to drive but i spent more time in the punt getting it than i did running it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd go for the 11cc definately. It may be hard to get a new one (contact Mecoa), but used ones arent all that bad either. Do a quick web search and there are plenty of people with 11cc outboards.
    Here's a couple Ifound doing a quick search: http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...amp-B-Outboard
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1427291
    http://s6.zetaboards.com/MODRCc/topic/1178001/1/
    http://forum.highlifter.com/KampB-11...-m1771484.aspx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks fatbill but all but one of those ads are from a few years ago. I've been searching for a 11cc for a bit and haven't had much luck. Kelly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would be very suprised if you got a new 11cc ob from Mecoa. If you buy a used one, you will probably need a new piston and sleeve before long and you will be lucky to find one. Put your efforts into a 7.5. Most 7.5 tunnels are around the 36inch mark, eg. HTB360, and are good for racing. You really cant go past a good modded 7.5, they have plenty of go and you will enjoy your boating rather than always looking for hard to get parts. There is a new 7.5 ob on ebay now that would get you started.
    Cheers,
    Dion.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Lap Cat III is made for 7.5's but an 11 could be put on it. Prather had a weird numbering system where a II was for 3.5's and the III for larger.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So what are you going to do Kelly??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

The Lap Cat III is made for 7.5's but an 11 could be put on it. Prather had a weird numbering system where a II was for 3.5's and the III for larger.
    I believe the Lap Cat I was for 3.5cc, Lap Cat II for 7.5 cc, and Lap Cat III for 11cc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: F1TUNNEL

So what are you going to do Kelly??

Hmmmmm, not sure yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dont be led to believe the 7.5 wont be enough to push that hull to its limits. You will have no trouble blowing that hull off the water with a mod 7.5. I really think you should consider a NIB K&B 7.5ob(there is one on ebay now waiting for you). Go to the gas outboard thread and look in the last few pages for a vid I uploaded not that long ago showing 36 inch tunnels with K&B 7.5 ob racing. There are plenty of guys near you that do top quality engine work and there are a few pipes to choose from if you do go down that road. I really would forget about the 11cc option as it will just give you headaches these days. 10-15 years ago the story would be different. You can always fit the hull out with your son in the meantime while you look for an engine or decide on what you want. $250 for nib 7.5 ob is a good price considering they dont make them anymore, and will be your cheapest option to get on the water. If you really work that motor you will probably end up changing hulls for one that can better handle the power. All the best with this build and remember there is plenty of helpful guys on these sites that will help you and give advise on anything and everything if you want it,
    Cheers,
    Dion.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok , now you have options!!!! The 11cc ob you want is on ebay along with 7.5s and on IW there are two 7.5s for sale as well. You asked, now its there waiting for you to make your move!!!