Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

need help with this

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

need help with this

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 PM
yakglowfoamy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with this

hey every one
well iv done rc planes forever got a rc car then been out of the hobbie for a wile due to money no wear i can fly any more....ect
well i got the rc bug back more to build something so i have a jato 3.3 i takeing the motor and radio from to build a boat.
with the traxxas 3.3 pull start can it be used in a boat ? my buddy took a 65 size airplane motor and use to wrap the head in brass tubeing for a
water cooling system it worked pretty good would the 3.3 need a water cooling ? what would i use to build a shaft ? and what prop would be a good size to go with ?
sadly we don't have a local hobby shop no more so i gotta order everything from great hobbies.
thanks for any and all help
sorry for any bad spelling
Old 07-16-2012, 04:56 AM
amax

Default RE: need help with this

That engine will work in an Open Hull Boat like a Mono(V-hull), You May need to remove a few colling fins to let the engine get hot enough. If your good at model building and Wood [link=http://www.aircapitolhobbies.com/Plans_and_Info.html]"Go Here"[/link] and download a free set of plans for the Wild Thing Mono and put that engine in it.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:46 AM
yakglowfoamy

thanks amax
can anyone post pics of there set ups with this motor ?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM
yakglowfoamy

how do you connect the shaft of the motor to the shaft that goes to the prop ? im new to boats can you tell
Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 PM
scumbag

Ihave been out of it for several years since the Tulsa Aquanutz folded, but I used to machine a shaft adapter with a 3/16" hole in it with setscrew (s) opposing each other. A weedeater shaft works pretty good or maybe you can score a flex shaft core or if small, a speedometer cable. Silver solder a piece of SS on the end for the prop and drive dog. If Octura is still in business Iam sure they would love to take your money. Some of my rigid stuff used a simple ball/socket wih pin. My flex shafts run in 5/16"Teflon tubing. Ifound Icould stretch the tubing in a vice to reduce it's diameter and then quickly slide it into brass tubing. This gives a superior fit for 3/16" flex shaft than a slip-fit 14" tubing due to thinner wall.
Many of my rudders are made from 1/4" thick graphite/Ryton polyphenylene sulfide since Iwas in research and made the stuff in an autoclave. hee hee They are wedge-shaped with a side pickup hole drilled in to intersect a vertical hole with a tube epoxied in the top for the water tubing. This is probably more than you are interested in.
I ended up with 25-30 racers on the wall that are doing absolutely nothing. After pricing K&B outboards Imust have a veritable fortune . A bunch of Rossi's, K&B's, OPS, etc There is a Capitol Boats hydro with a single surface in front and sponsons rearwards that isn't happy unless it is kept wide-open all the time. Rossi .65 Ithink, My favorites I guess are a 55" replica of the Miami Vice Wellcraft Scarab 32'boat and a 1/8 scale Miller American unlimited. Also in the garage is a 6 ft version (1/4 scale) of the Allyson powered Atlas Van Lines. It has a 2.2 Quadra in it, but at 30 lbs, no way. I am watching for a hot chainsaw motor Ican belt up to a decent shaft speed. Then there is the 1/4 scale Crackerbox with the gussied-up Homelite water cooled thing. Never did mount the throttle servo. Had a Kawasaki 30cc snow blower in it before. Too doggy.. At 76 Ineed to get my act together and do whatever I am going to. Right now Iam trying to outrrun Rapture to get to run my Locost Lotus 7 clone Iam building in my shop from scratch. If Ican find which trannies go with what, I may at least start sailing again. Got a nice vintage Vortec Soling hull that is fun. Nobody to run with in power in Bartlesville OK. Have played with the idea of making a PVC cannon fired by spraycan to send a tethered tennis ball further than Ican cast it with a rod to keep from having to use the fishing boat to retrieve. I have retrieved with an R/C sailboat however. Keith Williams
Old 07-17-2012, 07:31 PM
yakglowfoamy

thanks i think i got it all figerd out now
Old 07-18-2012, 05:22 AM
amax

I don't mess with the traxxas stuff so maybe one of the guys that Do will chime in. I believe you will need a SG Flywheel and a Flex Coupler that has the same threads as your crank shaft. I would go with a .150 Flex shaft with a 3\16(.1875) stub shaft. [link=http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=725ee94a2a6a9d406490f6c223be5dbf]Zippkits.com[/link] is a good place to look. If the traxxas is the same as many of the .18engines I believe [link=http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=327]This[/link] is the right flex collet.