Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

New Zippkits JAE .21 outboard hydro

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

New Zippkits JAE .21 outboard hydro

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 AM
geraghty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Zippkits JAE .21 outboard hydro

The new JAE 3.5 outboard nitro kit is available from Zippkits.......
This is the first time in the water for this boat and right off the stand the boat set a new IMPBA [2] lap 1/3 mile record this last weekend in Huntsville Alabama.....
The following was posted on International Waters.....This boat is very easy to build and is also available pre-built from Zippkits....
This JAE/Zippkits design could very easily be adapted to FE applications......watch the entire video......it just gets better and better......[8D]
If you ever wanted to get involved in RC boating with a fast boat that is easy to build,this is the boat for you......enjoy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMMwLiLnh1w&feature=plcp

http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=415
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 AM
advanced builder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Zippkits JAE .21 outboard hydro

Rob what engine you running? Joe ran one in Elmira this past season. The hull hates Elmira ,as he ran all day @Stony pond. Took the hull to Elmira ,problems. He stayed right with the inboards @Stony. I'm not sure what engine he had.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM
mike walker

That is sweet!!! every body has an O/B some where in there box of parts
Thats not any 35MPH boat that thing is moving for just an average set.

Nice thanks Rod
Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM
geraghty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The motor was a stock out of the box MAC 21..........Joe sent me the K&B motors he ran at Elmira.....THEY WERE JUNK!
I rebuilt both of his K&Bs and both are running great now.......

There is a ton left in he boat/motor & set-up....David Hall & Truex Jr will be gettin' after it bigtime at the next Huntsville record trials in late November....

Here is the short blurb David wrote for the IW post.....

Well I finally got the chance to run the new ZippKits 21 OB hydro and did it ever bring back lots of old pleasant memories........ My brother and I started with the ElDibalo OB hydros from Martin Davis some 30+ years ago. I had forgotten how simple things were back then, just fuel, crank and go. No belts no cowlings just easy and fun. We had seven of the OB hydros in our club and it wasn't unusual to go though a gallon of 20% cool power and 2 receiver packs on a Sunday. We would even drag the big clock out to the lake with the 2 arms that actually counted down from 3 minutes. Its a wonder we can still hear, those little K&B's with a 1/2" stub pipe for an exhaust were really loud. Oh and don't forget about all the broken 12mm K&B cranks, well most memories were pleasant.

Back to the new boat, it was a pre built kit by Mike Walker and assembled by Ron Zaker Senior. The motor was a MAC 21 power head on a lawless 21 foot not sure who the pipe mfg was. We left the cavitation plate on the motor this time so we were limited to a 45mm prop. We started testing with the 1745/3 octura. I was concerned over the really wide ride pad under the boat, was not sure what effects it would have on how the boat would handle. Turns out it took all the sensitivity to different types of props out of the equation, we ran 14's, 16's, X's, and the 17 series and had nothing but good results. We topped out in the low 60's with the 1745, then the prop fell off, oh well. We will test some more in a couple weeks, at our Turkey Day time trial, with the cavitation plate off and a Truex power head.

By the way, the boat drives much better than what you see in some of the video, I had my new radio that has more knobs than my grand mothers old Victrola and I was too busy playing with all the knobs. The video starts out fat but after the third launch we had the needle dialed in. You will also see how easy it launches when Bill just sat the boat in the water.Prop in the video was a weak X445.....
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Blackout

I had the privelage to drive the prototype at Stony Pond and it drove fantastic! Very similar to my JAE 21 inboard. It would make a fantastic first nitro boat for anyone looking for some speed. Throw a stock O.S. outboard on and have fun! Those engines are so easy to run.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Blackout

I had the privelage to drive the prototype at Stony Pond and it drove fantastic! Very similar to my JAE 21 inboard. It would make a fantastic first nitro boat for anyone looking for some speed. Throw a stock O.S. outboard on and have fun! Those engines are so easy to run.

I had to Giggle some on launching the hull. launch like a rigger or a tunnel ,I set it down like a tunnel. Do you think the Professor will have one next season?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Blackout

I had to Giggle some on launching the hull. launch like a rigger or a tunnel ,I set it down like a tunnel. Do you think the Professor will have one next season?
I doubt it. It would be cool to race against 20 o/b hydros instead of 20 tunnels in the 20 hydro class. The speeds would be more evenly matched....

Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Craig, it would be fun to race them up against the OB tunnels rather than the 'riggers, the speeds would be closer.
Rod, good to see you every year at Hobart, too bad that Joe didn't toss his in the water there.
We were talking outside the motel there and MTJ ought to have something more to show the nitro guys as it seems that he found a new trick where they thought that they had hit their limits. I ain't sayin' nothin' but you probably know what I'm typing about!
Man, the RC boating genius that showed up at Hobart! A few of us were saying how we weren't worthy of being in their company! I just sat back, kept my mouth shut and listened to you guys talking and learning.
This of course was at the banquet hall.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13343.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	1820762  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Jerry Dunlap

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Craig, it would be fun to race them up against the OB tunnels rather than the 'riggers, the speeds would be closer.
Rod, good to see you every year at Hobart, too bad that Joe didn't toss his in the water there.
We were talking outside the motel there and MTJ ought to have something more to show the nitro guys as it seems that he found a new trick where they thought that they had hit their limits. I ain't sayin' nothin' but you probably know what I'm typing about!
Man, the RC boating genius that showed up at Hobart! A few of us were saying how we weren't worthy of being in their company! I just sat back, kept my mouth shut and listened to you guys talking and learning.
This of course was at the banquet hall.
There's a lot of years of model boating in that picture.

JD
Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Ron Olson

Yeah Jerry, a lot of depth there.
BTW gang, that's JD himself in the blue shirt. David and Gary Pruesse on each side of him. Ron Zaker Jr. with his back to me and Rod off to his right. I can't remember who the other 2 are.
Hopefully I'll see you all there next year. Right now I'm waiting to see what changes Stu Barr has in mind for the classes as to whether or not I'll be racing. If I don't race I'll still be there as it isn't that far for me to drive.
OK, now back to the topic at hand.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I have one question for JD:
Looking at that picture, not one of you is smiling. Does this mean a serious protest is in the works or just some serious boat design debating was going on?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:20 AM
advanced builder

OK Ron the only ones I notice is Tim & Randy in the background. can you call out their names. L to R In case I make a big event. I'll know the Pro's Unfortunate I'm that old too. I can't listen in as my hearing is that bad.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Ron Olson

By Tim and Randy is Ollie Douglas in the green shirt, the others that I knew I mentioned earlier. No shots of Joe, Fred, Mike or his wife this year as my daughter-in-law handled the cameras most of the time and this was one of the few that I took with my cell phone. I didn't know that you knew Randy but it's the first time that I met Tim, they were 2 spots down from us.
If you can ever get over this way, I'll give you the walking tour and point out the Who's Who for you!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

I disagree. Locally, the Zippkit .21 O/B rigger can be just as fast as the local I/B .21 riggers. The tunnels will be way slower and they can't handle the chop the Zippkit O/B rigger can. I race tunnels and they are known to do unexpected things out of the blue. Not the Zippkit O/B rigger. That thing will run the ragged edge all day long. My tunnel on the other hand has good days and bad days...
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Ron Olson

I don't know what it is with the IMPBA not having an OB 'rigger class, lack of interest or whatever the reason. Some classes die out quickly. The RTR hydro class is dying faster than many expected, ABS was never used as well as the .12 Sport Hydro, a newer one. All you can do is appeal to the membership to get it going or do it at the district level.
Right now there isn't much in the way of competition against the JAE. There is the out-dated Prather/Hyperformance and a scratch kit from RCBM plans but that's about it. If it was made into an IMPBA class then others may come out of the woodwork.
The high cost of the O.S. and the lack of K&B's as killing the OB .21 classes all around as it used to be a cheap way to get into boat racing or playing.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Blackout

I have said this before on the interweb. While the O.S. is an expensive motor, you have to keep in mind that it includes all your hardware that you normally would have to buy extra for an inboard. Like the rudder, engine mount, strut, flex tube, flex cable, exhuast header, and exhaust pipe. Just sayin....

20 tunnel is usually the largest class at the Elmira D1 races. Even more than the gassers.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Ron Olson

Price a CMB .21 inboard if you want sticker shock and there's no lower unit on those! When I started out, you could get a K&B .21 OB for $115.00 and about the same for a hull. Add in your radio gear and everything else you'd need to go and you're looking at about the area of what an O.S. 21 OB alone is today.
Here in D-2 it's been fluctuating. I've seen to races where there were plenty of them to where they were lucky to get 3 of them to race. It all goes by what's hot and what's not where you run and even then things can change year-to-year.
With some of you in the northeast you have either IMPBA or NAMBA to choose from as you've got both sanctioning bodies. With me, we've only got 1 NAMBA club and they're FE only. I see this kit for now being really popular in the NAMBA districts but we'll have to wait to see how it goes over in the IMPBA areas. A club open to new classes may let you run them if you can promise to have 6 racers show up with them.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Blackout

Yup, everything is more expensive these days.....

Drill baby, drill!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:10 PM
carlnoki

I am in the process of converting a 21 nitro kit over to OB FE power.

with the economy the wayit is, turn out these last couple years have gone down drastically.
we here in Dist. 12 (IMPBA) have combined Types to make classes. i.e., B (20) mono/P-FE mono, ect.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 AM
mike walker

Here is the .21 O/B on a nice run

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...ature=view_all
Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Ron Olson

Try this Mike:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONRY9MGVMKg&list=PL5DjBE9c-zSkApUVofU1Umr1o5EFuIn2J&index=1&feature=plpp_video[/youtube]
I also had to watch Martin Truex's runs while i was in there as Zuber said that he set yet another record run.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM
mike walker

Ada boy Ron I couldn't get it to work for me. Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 PM
advanced builder

Mike remover the{ it} before http: or reload the address
Old 11-27-2012, 01:30 PM
mike walker

Neil, Thanks it worked. I new there was some thing and couldn't remember what.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: mike walker

Neil, Thanks it worked. I new there was some thing and couldn't remember what.
That was some videos thanks for posting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.