Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Looking for a racing class and place to race

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Looking for a racing class and place to race

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 AM
308jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a racing class and place to race

Afternoon everyone,

I'm a long time RC'er but new to boat racing. I have a pair of glass Hot Shot .21's and two re-built K&B .21 outboards, all of which has been stored for quite some time. The engines have held up and as I said, both were re-built by the factory. Basically zero time. The hulls are old but in good condition. It wouldn't take much to get both hulls in the water. Is there a current racing class for these boats? Would they be even remotely competitive or just targets? If not these, then what boats are competitive now? I've heard Zipp Kits makes some nice boats at reasonable cost. How about powerplants? I'd like to keep it simple for the time being until I know if I want to pursue it. Second question, where in Alabama/Georgia do they race? I've heard there is some activity in Huntsville, anywhere else? I've had no luck searching around on the net. BTW, also have an Aquacraft V24 and yes I've read the mostly negative comments. It's a pain to start but seems to run well. If there is a class in which this boat would be competitive I'd think about re-powering it. Although I have lot of experience flying pattern, Club 40 and 424 I don't know much about boat racing. Any thoughts on what to look for or avoid are appreciated. Thanks.

Rick H.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a racing class and place to race

The engines would be fine, the hulls would probably be outclassed by newer designs. That being said, you could give it a shot and see how they fair in competition
Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM
coriolan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a racing class and place to race

In your part of the US, IMPBA is the association to check for racing activities:
http://www.impba.net/

NAMBA might have some club there too:
http://www.namba.com/content/districts.asp