Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

K&B Outboard

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 AM
308jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B Outboard

Morning everyone,

I just bought several engines from the shop of a friend who passed away earlier this year. Among them is a K&B .40 outboard. This engine was used during the '90s on a Hot Shot hull and was a very nice, fast setup. I'm hoping to aquire the hull sometime soon if we can find it. Anyway, this engine has been pickled for some time. Turning it over slowly it feels like compression is probably ok and bearings feel good as well, nothing is grinding, scraping or crunching. Is there anything specific I should look for or do? It has what looks like a plastic 2 blade prop. I'm thinking I'll replace that but not sure what to use. As far as I know it's only ever been run on 10% Cool Power or Omega. I doubt it has much time on it and no abuse. Am I correct in thinking this engine runs in a clockwise direction viewed from the top?If I can't get my hands on the old Hot Shot hull, what would be a good boat to put it in? I'd rather build something and like wood but whatever works well at reasonable cost is fine. Appreciate anything you can tell me. Thanks.

Rick H.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM
Jerry Dunlap

Default RE: K&B Outboard

You are correct about the starting direction. A good prop for that engine is an Octura X440 or a Grim Racer 40/53. The Dumas Hot Shot Sprint wood kit is a good choice if you like to build. The AquaCraft VS1 is a good choice if you would like a built hull.

JD
Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Blackout

Is the engine a .21 or .45? Pretty sure Jerry's suggestions are for a .21.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That's what I was thinking but who am I to argue with Jerry?
It's probably a .45 and should say so on the side of the case. If it is, there are quite a few props that would work from the Octura X series 447, 448, 450 or 646/3.
Finding a hull for it isn't as easy as it used to be as the class is dying a slow but sure death.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Old JD needs to read posts more carefully. I guess the stuff about the Hot Shot Sprint threw me off. The Hot Shot Sprint 7.5 wood kit might be worth considering. I guess Dumas still sells them. Jeez, that was a long time ago.

JD
Old 12-15-2012, 03:58 AM
Blackout

Shawn Junker at Vision Craft makes a nice 7.5 tunnel, but it is fiberglass. He is on Intlwaters.

There are plenty of 7.5 tunnels out there, they are just not being raced much. We have some that run locally in other classes like Sport 40. And they do pretty good at the local level. Usually local clubs have no problem combining classes to let people race what they have.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 AM
308jockey

This engine is either a .40 or .45, I was guessing it was based on their old K&B .40 aircraft engine. It doesn't say anywhere on the case. Definitely too big to be a .21, I have 2 of those for comparison. Although I like wood, whatever gives me a good hull is fine, glass or other materials. I'm hoping to find a relatively nearby club that races something I already have so I can try it out without dropping a ton of cash. I've found 3 clubs within a couple or 3 hour drive, kind of suprising there isn't one closer.

Rick H.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 AM
308jockey

One other question; is 2.4 being used in boats these days? I have quite a few aircraft running 2.4 but none of my surface vehicles have been updated and still run 75mhz. I'm wondering how well 2.4 operates on the surface once the distances pass 100 yards or so. I've not had occasion to try it out. Also thanks for the information on props for the outboard!

Rick H.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, we are using the 2.4 Gig systems if you want to go that route. A good FM radio will do the job just fine. With the 2.4's though, make sure that it's one that will work with boats as some do not. The Futaba's, even the PL series do a great job.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Blackout

Futaba is my vote for 2.4. When racing, 2.4 is nice because you don't have to impound your radio.