Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

re:1/8 scale hydro kit

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

re:1/8 scale hydro kit

Old 12-23-2012, 10:14 AM
parshallboatworks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default re:1/8 scale hydro kit

Looking for: 1/8 scale hydro kit...67 nitro... help out a friend of mine
Old 12-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Tombsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: re:1/8 scale hydro kit

These are some pretty nice kits.
[link]http://www.ml-boatworks.com/[/link]
Old 12-23-2012, 02:01 PM
parshallboatworks

ORIGINAL: Tombsy

These are some pretty nice kits.
[link]http://www.ml-boatworks.com/[/link]
Thanks Tombsy, I have checked out mikes website.. like the stuff there.. Saw his stuff on IW. probably where we will go unless I can find a kit that has been laying around waiting for someone to give it the attn. it deserves!!
Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 PM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/8 scale [kits] are few and far between most are plans built or fiberglass hulls and you do the shopping for all the hardware, I'm a little outdated lately so if I'm wrong show me guys.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:35 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You're not wrong. The only wood scale kit left that I know of is the outdated Dumas Circus Circus and that one will cost you big time[X(]
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 AM
advanced builder

$400 Is the current price. Mr Lee
Old 12-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Hydro Junkie

And on top of that you can add shipping, so you can add between $25 and $50 more to that IF you order direct from Dumas. I just found it listed on the Tower website at $300 but, to me, that's still too much. I found one at a hobby shop on line last year for $225 so I grabbed it and ordered a second cowl set from Dumas. I'm thinking about doing a remanufactured kit build for one out of good wood and modify the sponsons, turning it into a 1990 American Spirit and build the kit stock as the 1988 Miller High Life
Old 12-29-2012, 09:28 AM
advanced builder

Your side of the woods has always been a 1/8 scale hotbed. HJ We have to go to Canada to run a 1/8 scale. The 1/8 scale FE was faster than nitro. But water and lipo do not mix. one flip and your down a few hundred $ They are fun to watch and race. The down side one bad hit and the hull in back on the building table for months. My building skills are not good anymore. Age has gotten me. Shelf Queen nowadays.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 AM
f16man

The fe's may be faster but nothing like the sound of a sweet running ,67 electric is too gay for this guy...................
Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 AM
bdog1

1/8 scale has allways been one of my favorites.
I know the new .67 size motors are awesome {price is also} ,I think many people have been turned off or away by the money required to field a new fiberglass/carbon fiber hull and motor.
Yet there are resonable options on ebay for K+B's ,OPS and such for under 150.00 each week.
ML Boat works kits or Roger Newton plans are options also.

When the first 1/8 scale boats first apeared there was no class for them so they raced against the hydro's and riggers.
Some people mocked them for being so much slower than the riggers BUT when they raced everybody watched and rooted for the scale jobs.
There is still nothing like watching[or driving] a 7 boat heat of 1/8 scale hydro's running deck to deck going for it.

The new gas Thunderboat class looks to offer the same .

MAY WE ALL HAVE A GREAT SAFE YEAR RACING WITH OUR FRIENDS !
Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Blackout

ORIGINAL: f16man

The fe's may be faster but nothing like the sound of a sweet running ,67 electric is too gay for this guy...................
Amen to that!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM
parshallboatworks

LOUD AND SMOKEY...gotta agree on that... nothing like the sound of a nitro engine... take it over the purr of electrons anyday!!plus not into 3 min. run time..JUST SAYIN!!! LETS FIND GREG A KIT.....
Rick
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 AM
advanced builder

I've seen a few Dumas hulls around ,still in the box. Mostly on Ebay the 1/8 scale nitro is not king anymore. Yes I love the smell of Nitro in the morning. I've seen this hull built a good one http://www.blazermarine.com/index.ph...uct_detail&p=3
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Blackout

Put a WTB on IW. Someone might have a kit laying around that got shelfed. This happens a lot....
Old 01-05-2013, 12:17 PM
parshallboatworks

Good idea,I did not think of that!!
Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 AM
f16man

Bite the bullit and get some newton plans and your wood working skills and tools out and build the exact hull you are looking for.When you are finished you will have a priceless one of a kind boat that you created, Engine choice should be a high performance .65 and up, CMB, MAC, PICCO, ROSSI, OPS, OS, other options are converted ducted fan engines as an OS 77, Rossi 81 or 65, they are older engines but are timed almost the same as the newer hotrod engines, [ transfer ports are smaller than the cmb and mac] then start with good quality tuned pipe at 13" long from glow plug to begining of the fatest part of the pipe, test run the boat and shorten pipe header til you find the sweet spot. You will know when you get there as the boat will get a kick in the pants and scare you a bit ha ha .
Old 01-20-2013, 08:42 AM
parshallboatworks

Thanks f16 man!! I guess I willl keep the PICCO.67 and pipe for myself and build from newton as suggested.. was for a friend getting into hobby,but now he is intersted in a sport 40...(I have a nib OPS .45 with quiet pipe and an older sport 40 to sell him!!)
I definately have skills to scratch build... not sure about the time as i have 4 zippkits on table to build for Joe P. now plus an A-box for a customer to finish and a couple more JAE.45s to build for customers...plus 2 regular jobs... But at least all the ponds are frozen so I cant go play with boats now.. spring is too far away.. and our club has to get ready for 3 regular races and big D-1 race in august!! busy busy busy...
Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Hydro Junkie

Now you sound like me, multiple boats and lots of time at work. I'm hoping to have a couple of boats in the paint shop in a week or two so, wish me luck
Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 PM
parshallboatworks

good luck my friend... still in a deep freeze on the left coast?thermometer displayed 8deg when I came into barn from skii resort job!!! suposed to be in single digits all week!! makin snow like crazy they are!got the new V-BOX for Joe all lookin pretty inside, now to glue the deck on and do outside....high on KLASS KOTE!!! then just have to do some finishing touches to the JAE.45TWIN and JAE.45..... have the A-BOX framed up.. getting there.. bobs (propcircles)A-BOX is sealed first coat so that one is pretty close too..... then I have 2 more JAE.45s to build for customersplus in am have to go estimate a flight of stairs and finish floor there ... little over a week left on that job then a set of bathrooms to remodel after that.. the bathroom job is only 15min away at least.. floor and stairs are 50-60min awayI think i like the boat building job best... its in my back yard
Rick the toaster
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

Yup, scraped ice every time I went to leave the house for the past two weeks. It's supposed to start raining(sounds like Washington, don't it?) in the next few days so it may top 40 before week's end. IF I get very lucky, I may get to work on boats tomorrow after I run some errands for the wife and do some maintenance on the truck. Only have a little bit left to do on the Muck's sponsons and transom to be ready for paint so, hopefully, I'll be done with that tomorrow. The big one is covering a hole in the inside of one sponson and smoothing out the repairs. Other than that, it's install some plywood to the sponson runners to smooth them out and then it's off to the paint shop
Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 AM
advanced builder

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Yup, scraped ice every time I went to leave the house for the past two weeks. It's supposed to start raining(sounds like Washington, don't it?) in the next few days so it may top 40 before week's end. IF I get very lucky, I may get to work on boats tomorrow after I run some errands for the wife and do some maintenance on the truck. Only have a little bit left to do on the Muck's sponsons and transom to be ready for paint so, hopefully, I'll be done with that tomorrow. The big one is covering a hole in the inside of one sponson and smoothing out the repairs. Other than that, it's install some plywood to the sponson runners to smooth them out and then it's off to the paint shop
We got your weather now HJ cold and snowy
Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Hydro Junkie

Not quite, we didn't have any snow
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM
parshallboatworks

watched thermometer drop to 0deg f last night with snowmakers blasting snow all over the place... 8 hrs standing out in that is a chore.. many many layers and good gloves!! today it is up to about 13 deg and snowing at 11:30 am... shop is cold...bbbbrrrr. have 2 more nights out in this stuff...having a hard time with west Sys curing!! might be warm in shop before i have to leave for work...lol
Old 01-23-2013, 09:35 AM
Hydro Junkie

I tried to use West 105/205 in my garage years ago, never got past the gel state. For it to cure, you need to be over 50 degrees. I ended up scraping off the epoxy and redoing it inside the house. Stuff came out of the same cans and worked fine so I can only assume the garage was too cold that night
Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 PM
advanced builder

No spraypainting in cold weather. Guys get me to March soon please

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.