Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Leaky 3.5 Hot Shot Sprint (wooden kit)

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Leaky 3.5 Hot Shot Sprint (wooden kit)

Old 10-15-2013, 10:17 PM
GenoFerrari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky 3.5 Hot Shot Sprint (wooden kit)

I have run my late 1990s Hot Shot Sprint twice since I completed her about 14 years ago. She ran relatively well both times, although for some unexplained or forgotten reason, I used a u shaped, brass fuel pick up that started the run on the bottom of the tank but ended up at about the half full point. Not surprisingly, she would die about half way through the run (pure rocket science). So, I installed a clunk. Duh. But when I retrieved her the two times she ran out of accessible fuel, she had taken on water in both sponsons, and the last time, she was listing rather severely to starboard, and the radio box looked like a small aquarium. She was floating in the water no more than five minutes. It is possible I guess that the water may have come in over the transom as the boat rapidly slowed down,but my eyes and the video of the run did not see that Any ideas?

Also, my receiver does not work after its involuntary submarine voyage. Fixable?

Geno
Old 10-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Not exactly rocket science but you probably had a crack in the bend of the brass fuel line that let air in making the engine go lean. If the clunk that you put in is at the front of the tank with the boat running with a nose-high attitude and a little G-force at work, the fuel is going to the back of the tank.
More than likely over the years the wood has probably split along a seam letting water into the sponson.
The RX may be saved but at this stage I kind of doubt it. It may have taken the servo's and switch with it. I have seen waterproofing sprays like Corrosion X bring them back to life but right now you might be able to dry things out with a blow dryer.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:04 PM
GenoFerrari

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ron. Your diagnosis on all issues sound right on the money. How would you recommend I address the split seam issue? My first inclination would be to mix a small amount of epoxy with denatured alcohol and brush it on lightly. But I would rather listen to what you would recommend. And, "17,676" posts? That's more prolific than Wilt Chamberlain's claims about his love life. Thanks again,

Geno
Old 10-17-2013, 02:03 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Ron lives in the forums, not sure how or when he had the time to get married or have kids
Now that I've had my "pick on Ron" time, back to the question at hand. I would hold off on the alcohol. Alcohol is known to have adverse affects on epoxy. Mix up some extra-slow set epoxy and brush in on and into the seams. Let it cure for several days, scuff up and then coat the entire hull(inside and out) with a thin layer. If that doesn't stop the leakage, you have more serious issues to deal with.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:43 AM
Ron Olson

Mark, I had a spare 10 minutes so I took care of both then! As far as the posting count, I've been here since about Day 1 when RC Online merged with another one to become RC Universe plus doing 4 years as a boating forums Mod here. I still have my brain-dead newbie days.
I don't run nitro OB tunnels anymore but have had a few .21 and .45's in the past but still like the class.
It depends on how bad the splits are. A thick gap-filling CA glue can be used for thin separations or if they're worse then I'd go for the epoxy. Weigh down or clamp the area while either one sets but you don't have a lot of time if using CA.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Hydro Junkie

That long Ron? I would have guessed more like 2 or 3
I'm almost surprised that Mr Tunnel hasn't posted yet. Anyone seen JD?
Old 10-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Ron Olson

Jerry pops in here once in a while but I don't think that he spends a lot of time on the computer. The last posting that I saw from him was a month ago on IW wishing me a Happy Birthday. I didn't make it to the Hobart race this year so I didn't get to see him.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Hydro Junkie

I'll probably be seeing him on Sunday, also saw him a couple of weeks ago all decked out in yellow and reflective tape