Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

K&B 11cc & 7.5cc outboard lube/oil question

Old 01-15-2014, 05:44 AM
302CJ7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default K&B 11cc & 7.5cc outboard lube/oil question

Hi I have a K&B 11cc & 7.5cc outboard. I see that they sell the grease for the flex shaft, but what do you guys use to drop oil into the lower unit? I read that you can mix 20w50 with something else? Is there an oil that a company sells already premixed and you put a few drops in before and after you drop the boat in the water? Thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Ron Olson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

20w50 racing oil and STP is what K&B advises in a 50/50 mix. You're better off adding it after a day's run as it will displace any water that can get in there.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM
302CJ7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Ron, do you use a little oiler can? Also have you ever run your boats in salt water or is that a big no no? -Rob
Old 01-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Ron Olson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm about a 1,000 miles from seawater. You'd have to rinse it down well with fresh water then shoot something like WD-40 through the cooling system and spray some on the outside. These are common questions in here. Anything that's metal is subject to rust or corrosion.
There's several ways to lube the cable. The easiest is probably to remove the propshaft and then pull the cable out and grease it.
What I did on mine was to fit a fuel or water nipple up towards the top of the lower unit, a 4-40 or 6-32 fitting then inject the lubricant with a syringe with a piece of water line on the tip of it. I've also used a cheap oil can but had to clip the tip off it. You have to shorten the tube on the inside so that it will go in.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:10 AM
moparbarn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

chain saw bar oil is awesome. been running it for 5 years, no issues. also, do away with the nylon flex liner & make one out of brass tubing. if you do run the nylon liner, pull the lower apart & check it REGULARLY!! they wear quickly & will eat a flex shaft. there's a reason k&b used to sell a kit with a flex shaft, lube & TWO liners.......

Search this Thread