Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Dumas Pay n Pak 30"hull

I am new to RC boating and I have had and am going to build this boat since I have had it forever. i have what I believe to be a size 21 motor and the kit itself. Could any of you builders suggest current build changes i could make as well as current hardware I could use. The Dumas hardware looks a little dated to say the least. I will post pics of the motor as I would like help in identifying it. Thanks for any help you guys can offer. I have done the RC car and Plane thing and just want to try another venue to keep the interest going, THANKS!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boat motor.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	2006342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2 (1).JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	2006343heres the motor, Any insight?

Any Help on motor would be great, especially with tuning once its mounted

At the cable coupler. Turn fin should be close to CoG within 1/2" A mono hull is 1/3 of the total hull length.. measured from the transom. A hydroplane is just behind the back of the sponsons. CoG is measured with fuel on board. Do you mount the engine forward or back in the engine bay that's up to you.You'll get suggestions for both.
    Stoney Pond Model Boat Club, Canandaigua, NY
    International racer
    http://neilsrcsite.shutterfly.com/

Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated

I would recommend reading through my two Pak build threads and including at least two of the changes I made:
    1) move the bottom break back to frame 6 rather than frame 4 as in the instructions
    2) do not use the supplied wood blocks as engine mounts. They won't fit if you redo the bottom as I suggested and are heavy and awkward to finish and clean around later.
    As far as hardware, I'd look at Speedmaster and Aeromarine for the rudder assembly and strut. There are other options on turn fins and engine mounting. One thing you need to remember is that the stock engine bay IS NOT 4 inches wide so it may cause issues using the engine with the required 180 degree header

Anyone have any tips on painting, primer to use? brand and kinds of paint would be helpful. Also was wondering if you just apply primer on the bare wood (no sealing)?
    Thanks for any help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boat.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	2020044This is the boat to date. Made the canopy myself with fiberglass cloth and epoxy over foam plug that I carved and sanded to shape. Again any help on paint finishing would be great

It looks like a vintage Rossi engine. The newer ones have an Italisized "R" on the sides.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

I'd still slap on a thin coat of epoxy as a base for whatever you paint it with. I painted my first boat without sealing it first, was a mistake I'll never make again as the boat tended to soak up water and had issues retaining the paint