Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Hinge Pin

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:30 AM
wholehog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinge Pin

How critical is a tight fit hinge pin or if it's a tad sloppy on an outboard? Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Outboard Jay

Wholehog,
Don't fool with a loose mounting plate or the bracket attached to the engine...the steel pin probably is not the problem...with the R's OB engines turn it will cause excessive vibration...control becomes a problem ...if you are just fun running for your own pleasure once in a while, you can get away with it,but if you want to compete, or race....fix it !!!!

Good boating,
Jay
Old 01-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What motor? What mount? Usually the Du-Bro mounts wear out over time but that part you can buy by itself if it's one of those. Rarely does the pin itself wear out.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Outboard Jay

Wholehog,
Another..
"maybe" ...I use wooden stands so I support the engine by fastening and adjustable bolt that can move up and down set on a cross piece between the 2 wooden sides of the stand...when the hull is at rest the bolt makes contact with the lower boot and takes the pressure of the engine as a whole as you exert pressure with your starter...it works!

Jay
Old 01-04-2015, 11:08 AM
wholehog

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
What motor? What mount? Usually the Du-Bro mounts wear out over time but that part you can buy by itself if it's one of those. Rarely does the pin itself wear out.
The motor is an older 7.5 K&B and I assume the mount is stock. Fit on the hinge pin is an ever so slight side movement against the brass inserts, not real sloppy but there is some movement. Thanks