Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Vegas Deuce,30% or 50% nitro?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Vegas Deuce,30% or 50% nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:18 PM
kennethfunk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vegas Deuce,30% or 50% nitro?

I'm ordering the Aquacraft u18 miss vegas duece this weekend,still wondering which nitro to get,30% or 50%,what's everyone's opinion? : )
Old 03-10-2015, 03:21 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

50%, no doubt on it. Be sure it's got at least 18% lube as well
Old 03-10-2015, 05:57 AM
kennethfunk

Thanks Hydro Junkie,that's what I've been leaning towards��...will make sure its at least 18% oil!!!...on tower hobbies it says use the number 4 glow plugs,should I use a colder glow plug for 50%?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:14 AM
Hydro Junkie

You know what they say:
TEST TEST TEST
Old 03-10-2015, 07:16 AM
kennethfunk

Yea: )

Last edited by kennethfunk; 03-10-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It depends on what you're going to do with it. Playing around, AquaCraft advises 40%. You can go a little higher but not crazy for racing. Me, I've pumped 65% in these little motors but then again I'm a little nuts. Run boat fuel only.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:41 PM
kennethfunk

Thanks Ron,I'll be checking on 40% too!..still looking at all the places I can get boat fuel,Hobbytown doesn't carry it,so still checking online!
Old 03-14-2015, 05:47 PM
Ron Olson

Tower Hobbies carries the AquaCraft Grimracer line of fuels made for boats. You can get it by the quart or gallon. It's good stuff, I've seen a lot of nitro racers using it.
Hobby shops can get it as most of them go through Great Planes or Horizon Hobby for their stock including Hobbytown USA. We've got one in town.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:55 PM
kennethfunk

Ok,I like the Grimracer fuel,I will order from Tower Hobbies,where I'm getting the Vegas Deuce,or check with Hobbytown USA,going there next week to get a few things!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:06 PM
wholehog

Originally Posted by kennethfunk
I'm ordering the Aquacraft u18 miss vegas duece this weekend,still wondering which nitro to get,30% or 50%,what's everyone's opinion? : )
I run 55% in all my boats and two being Vegas. Did kick a rod in one of them, can't say the fuel did it. Replaced the rod and all is still good. I've been using Torco fuels for years, know the guys and they are great people. Check e-bay or go to Torco fuels, great prices with shipping and they have many nitro options for boats and yes, use a cold plug. Hope the is helpful.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:36 PM
kennethfunk

Thanks wholehog,I will check out the Torco fuel,I've seen it lately searching online and have seen it but haven't heard of it before and was wondering if it was good,glad to know it is!!..and will get some colder plugs also!!
Old 03-16-2015, 01:22 PM
wholehog

Thanks wholehog,I will check out the Torco fuel,I've seen it lately searching online and have seen it but haven't heard of it before and was wondering if it was good,glad to know it is!!..and will get some colder plugs also!!
Your welcome. These guys supply all types of racing fuels. They have boo-koos of championships with rc planes that the guys themselves fly using their stuff. I have never had a fuel issue with their product and the price beats the hobby shops. The problem I have at my local, no one stocks boat fuel, buggy and plane fuel just doesn't cut it and I can't get the right oil mix. These guys are up on what us hobby guys need, outside of the commercial stuff like pure nitro they sell world wide. They have been messing with fuel for a long time and they are just a phone call away if you need them. If you have any more issues, just give us a buzz. PS: Like Ron says, don't get too crazy or you'll blow motors up.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:22 PM
wholehog

Your welcome. These guys supply all types of racing fuels. They have boo-koos of championships with rc planes that the guys themselves fly using their stuff. I have never had a fuel issue with their product and the price beats the hobby shops. The problem I have at my local, no one stocks boat fuel, buggy and plane fuel just doesn't cut it and I can't get the right oil mix. These guys are up on what us hobby guys need, outside of the commercial stuff like pure nitro they sell world wide. They have been messing with fuel for a long time and they are just a phone call away if you need them. If you have any more issues, just give us a buzz. PS: Like Ron says, don't get too crazy or you'll blow motors up.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Ron Olson

Wholehog, the con-rod is weak. I found that out when my son was trying out props on my Super-Vee 27 Nitro. It'll swing a lot more prop than it should but the rod isn't strong enough.
Exactly, don't let a hobby shop try to unload just any fuel on you just to make a sale. Most are clueless when it comes to boats. Heli fuel is the next best thing if you can't get a boat blend.
There is also a myth that if you run a higher percentage of nitro that you'll blow up an engine faster. No, in most ways. Higher nitro requires a richer fuel mixture so that in turn adds more oil. It doesmake the needle a little harder to set though and if you live in a hot and humid place it can make it harder to get a good setting.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:07 AM
wholehog

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
Wholehog, the con-rod is weak. I found that out when my son was trying out props on my Super-Vee 27 Nitro. It'll swing a lot more prop than it should but the rod isn't strong enough.
Exactly, don't let a hobby shop try to unload just any fuel on you just to make a sale. Most are clueless when it comes to boats. Heli fuel is the next best thing if you can't get a boat blend.
There is also a myth that if you run a higher percentage of nitro that you'll blow up an engine faster. No, in most ways. Higher nitro requires a richer fuel mixture so that in turn adds more oil. It doesmake the needle a little harder to set though and if you live in a hot and humid place it can make it harder to get a good setting.
You guys are so informed, reason I like coming here for advice and sharing info. I stand corrected on the nitro thing and what you say makes all the sense in the world. My nitro experience is from drag racing. Your right about higher percentages and running richer, I do have heat and humidity and it's tough to tune some days. Also I never thought about the rod was just week when I broke it, just figured from my nitro days that the higher percentage did the trick because I had been running 20% before I changed to the 55% and then kicked the rod. Thanks for the info on the skid fin, I'll be putting a call in to them today.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:47 AM
kennethfunk

Can't wait to make an uboxing and break in video������...thanks for all the help y'all ��
Old 03-18-2015, 07:37 PM
kennethfunk

I just ordered the Aquacraft Miss Vegas Deuce(orange) from Towerhobbies,along with grimracer turn fin(black),grimracer prop,and speed grease,prop balancer,rear view mirrors from the UL-Superior,header cooling coil,3 #4 glow plugs,after run oil,and nitro Kleen spray cleaner������...estimated delivery is next Tuesday -Thursday,will make an unboxing video,I haven't seen one on YouTube
Old 03-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Ron Olson

I really like their flex cable grease but it smells like an oil refinery.
A little secret. After-run oil is just overpriced automatic transmission fluid. For cleaning engines I just use either carb or brake cleaner. The cheap stuff works maybe better than the higher-dollar cleaners. I can be a cheap SOB at times but just can't see wasting money where I really don't need to.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 AM
kennethfunk

Thanks Ron and hydro,I will remember I can use those other cleaners!

Last edited by kennethfunk; 03-19-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:34 PM
Ledet

marvel mystery oil also works good as after run oil. Cleaning engines rubbing alcohol also works good.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:34 PM
kennethfunk

Thanks Ledet,the Deuce arrived in Atlanta,ga. and I will get it Monday,can't wait to see it!
Old 07-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Aarec Baaawin

Greetings , Junkie! nice to signup and see a post from a fellow hydro lover.In the same state no less...where, pray tell do u run? twin lakes?
Old 08-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Hydro Junkie

Actually, Aarec, I run with R/C Unlimiteds so you can just look at their website to see where they are racing. Boat took some damage in Kennewick last weekend so I"m down until I do some repairs meaning I'll probably be missing the next two races. The plan, for now anyway, is to be ready to run at Twin Lakes in September