Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Looking for a boat

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Looking for a boat

Old 12-21-2015, 11:27 AM
EricG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a boat

Hey everyone! I'm getting back in the hobby after many years away. I previously had nitro boats, but they were small and one was even air cooled. Not a whole lot of speed. I'm not looking for an all out race boat as I do not plan on racing at the moment, however I would like something, maybe .21 or bigger, to push a larger boat with decent power and speed. Are there any RTR or ARTR boats available for around $500 that would get this accomplished? I'm really looking for a mono hull for now which will be used on ponds and lakes. I do plan on later doing a custom nitro build, maybe with twins, after getting back into it all again. I'm also wanting to experiment with gas, but I'm limited on money at the moment. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I know the Miss Vegas fits your requirements, other than it's a hydroplane. It's nitro powered, uses a water cooled small block engine and is pretty much ready to run. The best part is that all you really need to add is a glow igniter and fuel. It would be a good boat to learn with which is what it sounds like you want. Another option would be to build a boat from a wood kit. Dumas Products have a couple of boats that might work for you. Check out their "Deep Vees & Monos" and "Discounted Boats" links and see if anything works for you there as well. I know they have some kits that are under $100, add a Nova Rossi engine and pipe for power, a good running gear set(don't use the Dumas stuff, it's bargain basement grade) and a radio and you could come in at under your $500 budget. Another option would be a laser cut "Wild Thing", if you like shallow vee style boats. The nice part about the Dumas kits and "Wild Thing" is that you can stretch out your cash expenditures so it's not such a big hit at one time. The web site addresses for all but the "Wild Thing" are:
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...ft/aqub34.html
http://www.dumasproducts.com/index.php?cPath=136
http://www.novarossi.us

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 12-21-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:43 PM
ob nut
My Feedback: (1)

I'll second what HJ states. If you enjoy building, for gas, I'd add Zipp Kits new mono. I saw Joe run the boat at a couple of races this year. Very impressive running boat. Joe has everything you need to build and run the boat except a radio system. His kits are easy to build with detailed instructions. If you want to first try the Miss Vegas Deuce, I know of one that has never seen water yet, batts have never been installed and no fuel has been put in the tank. Price is lower than buying it brand new. PM if you are interested for more information.

http://www.zippkits.com/
Old 12-24-2015, 06:32 AM
Ledet

The Miss Vegas is a good first boat, I started with one a year ago. The only thing I will say bad about it is the supper tiger engine in it, they are not very good. I ended up putting an os in it. I also agree with Zippkit, My secant boat was a zippkit JAE .12 rigger I put a .12 Novarossi in it this boat is fun and easy to build and drive it would come out about $500.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:00 AM
EricG

Thanks for all the suggestions! My only worry with the hydro is rough water as I don't often have smooth water. I guess there are no nitro Vee's? I've had several nitro R/c's in the past. I would like to get a hydro eventually but am mainly looking for a Vee or maybe a cat. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Old 12-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Ledet

You could do a gas mono it would be a little more than $500 the Zippkit monos are the cheapest way to go the Easy Vee is also a good boat. You can get a stock zenoah engine from www.gizmomotors.com. If you have rough water gas night be the way to go also I think it is easier than nitro and cheaper to run. I ended up with a gas boat because I wanted to race and the guys in my area dont race nitro. Good luck with your choice.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You're trying to keep it under $500.00? Lotza luck there, seriously. A decent .21 isn't cheap which in itself would blow most of your budget.
I'm building the boat that Mark is probably talking about. The kit is $109.00. You can get a Zenoah clone from Bruce at www.gizmomotors .com for just under $100.00. Zippkit's Easy-Vee is better suited for a stock gas engine. His hardware kit will kind of blow your budget though at around $350.00 which is cheaper than the name brand stuff like Speedmaster. You still need a radio system You can pick up a new Futaba 3-channel radio system (minus servo's) for $70.00. Add in building materials like glues and paint and it adds up even further.
In the long run gas will be cheaper when you consider the price of fuel, glow plugs and support equipment.