Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Experienced beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Experienced beginner

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:10 AM
Psychographic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experienced beginner

Hi,

I didn't see a place to introduce myself so I'll jump in here and say hello. I just got a boat back that I built in the 90's and never ran. I traded it to a friend many years ago and lost touch after a couple of moves. I ran into him at a model show and asked about the boat and if he would consider selling it. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, we are at another show and saying goodbye, when he says "I have something in the trunk for you" and there it was, a Prather 46" Deep Vee with an OPS 90 engine, and Airtronics radio equipment (minus the transmitter). I asked, "How much?" and was told "Nothing, I was just holding on to it for you". This was the best thing that's happened to me in years. This boat has yet to even be started. I tried a few times, but didn't have a starter with enough torque to do so.

This is my second boat, my first being a wooden Dumas Hot Shot 45. I learned a lot of what not do do, building and running that boat. Unfortunately I'm out of touch with what's current, and I've forgotten most of what I did know. I'm hoping to get some advice on this forum as I go about getting this boat up and running. I was surprised to see how little information I could find on RC boats, this forum was recommended to me, so hopefully I will find a home here.

Beside getting it running, my plans are to repaint it and I'd like to add a pair of driver figures.

I hope the pics show up.

Last edited by Psychographic; 10-30-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:04 AM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum! You can loosen the glow plug some to reduce compression your starter should be able to fire it up then.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:28 PM
kennethfunk

Glad you got it back..and for free..hope you've gotten it started!!��
Old 03-05-2017, 09:00 PM
crapshooter

if the engine hasn,t been run since the 90,s i would strip it down and give the internals a good clean out with some methanol or metholated spirits, especially the bearings then dry out and oil up . also the pipe looks a very firm fit on the transom, may need a larger hole plus mount to stop the vibrations that will happen. should go very well with the 90 and right prop.