Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Miss Busweiser 1/12 Engine Trouble

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Miss Busweiser 1/12 Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 11:19 AM
Slow_Ride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miss Busweiser 1/12 Engine Trouble

It seems like I've tried everything but i can't get this engine to run. I'm new to nitro engines as you can probably tell and need any help/advice i can get. [sm=drowning.gif]

All the needles are set back to factory settings, i put fuel in, put the igniter on - and nothing. However when i drain all the fuel from the tank, and loosen the glow plug to remove the fuel there i try to start it again, and it runs for a few seconds. I've tried adding fuel after and adjusting the mixture but it wont seem to run unless i drain all the fuel and just leave vapors in there. Ive been pulling on this thing for at least 3 solid hours, im guessing the igniter may need to be charged so im charging it now. But it still seems to fire it up with no liquid fuel in the system [sm=confused.gif]

any ideas???

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Miss Busweiser 1/12 Engine Trouble

Part of the problem may be the Factory settings. When they set them up initially, they have no idea where in the World the boat is going. Weather and altitude among other factors will determine the best needle settings. It could be that is simply is too rich. Turn the high speed needle in a little bit at a time until it fires. It will probably still be rich at this time so slowly work it in as you are breaking in the motor. An electric starter is the best thing to own when first firing up a nitro motor. After it's broken in, you really shouldn't need it unless the pull starter breaks.
Oh yeah, NEVER mess with the low speed needle.
Old 04-24-2004, 08:48 AM
dirt dummy

Pull the glow plug out and checkit with your igniter. If it doesn't work replace with an OS #8, If it works replace with an OS #8!
Old 04-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Jason Holdaway

I'm having trouble with mine too. I'm new to boats, but have been flying for a while now, and have broken in about 10 engines. I started it at the factory setting, and got about one lap around the pond. I got the engine running again and got about 3/4 tank through it. Then it quite and I couldn't get it to run again. I made up a water connector so I could break it in in my yard. The first thing I noticed was that the water jacket was leaking at both fittings. I turned the tap down to just a trickle, and it still leaked even after tightening the fittings a 1/2 turn. I pulled the head and added the extra shim. I noticed some silver/gray powder residue, which is likely from the piston/sleeve. I was able to run about 7/8 of the tank through before it quite again. I did a standard OS aircraft engine break in. (four stroking to slightly lean) At this point, I pulled the head again to remove the extra shim. Couldn't get it to run again. I tried to pull the head again to add the extra shim, and stripped one of the bolt heads. I'll be drilling that out today. Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2004, 04:11 PM
dirt dummy

ORIGINAL: jholdaway

I'm having trouble with mine too. I'm new to boats, but have been flying for a while now, and have broken in about 10 engines. I started it at the factory setting, and got about one lap around the pond. I got the engine running again and got about 3/4 tank through it. Then it quite and I couldn't get it to run again. I made up a water connector so I could break it in in my yard. The first thing I noticed was that the water jacket was leaking at both fittings. I turned the tap down to just a trickle, and it still leaked even after tightening the fittings a 1/2 turn. I pulled the head and added the extra shim. I noticed some silver/gray powder residue, which is likely from the piston/sleeve. I was able to run about 7/8 of the tank through before it quite again. I did a standard OS aircraft engine break in. (four stroking to slightly lean) At this point, I pulled the head again to remove the extra shim. Couldn't get it to run again. I tried to pull the head again to add the extra shim, and stripped one of the bolt heads. I'll be drilling that out today. Thoughts?
Throw the factory settings out the window start 3 or 4 turns out throw it in the water and see how it goes. You can not tune marine motors like plane motors. When the boat is in the water it puts a great load on that little prop thus it needs more fuel. Trust me. Here is my old bud boat with a HPI .15 on 40% blue thunder 5 turns out! [link]http://www.midmad.com/video/miss%20bud.wmv[/link]
Old 04-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Imrcflyer

I'm into RC planes but a friend brought his boat over cause he had a problem. Seems he loaded the engine up trying to get his started and broke the mounts loose. I expoxied them back and got the motor started. A week later he was back with the mounts broke again. I put the engine on a test stand to break it in. Used a water hook-up to keep it cool. At low rpm's everything was fine but as the rpm's picked up, the water jacket leaked. Didn't turn the motor over 1/2 throttle - 20K rpm's with no load and 10% nitro. High & low needles set to factory settings. (Does run on the rich side here in St. Augustine.) Put motor back in boat, used a tube to connect fuel and pressure lines so motor would not load up when not running. He's been runnig the boat every weekend fine for the past 4 weeks with no problems other then some water inside after each run. In a week or two, I'll have him start turning in the high speed needle valve.

-- Tom --
Old 04-26-2004, 01:32 AM
toyman64

nice video dirt dummy, were you runnin without the cowling, and was the guy fishin your buddy, that was real close to snagging his line! looks like it runs like my 2 miss buds but wihout 40% nitro.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:29 AM
dirt dummy

ORIGINAL: toyman64

nice video dirt dummy, were you runnin without the cowling, and was the guy fishin your buddy, that was real close to snagging his line! looks like it runs like my 2 miss buds but wihout 40% nitro.
That was my buddy fishing for my twin rigger that was dead in the water. I don't recall if the cowl was on or off.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:22 AM
porterjl2

I had your same problem. I'm new to nitro boats also. I reset the High needle to 3.5 turn out and the Low to 2.5 out. I changed the glow plug to O.S. A3. Then I started again. If after the third pull Its didn't start. I'll turn the High in 1/16 of a turn, Clockwise(Lean in). If its get hard to pull, take the glow plug out and turn the boat upside down and give its serveral pull. Remember short pull. If you pull its to far out, its might not go back in, which mean u could have broken the springs in the recoil. Now back to the carb, I kept doing this until its would at least idle then die. I then, turn the Low speed in 1/16 of turn and continue the process until the engine would idle. Its will still be very rich. You may have to turn the low speed a little more so that when you give its throttle, its will responds. Hopefully this help.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:53 AM
quanah

Slow_ride,
Did you ever get your boat started?

Quanah
Old 06-08-2004, 01:14 PM
porterjl2

Yes, I have and I have run three tanks through it as of now..
Old 06-09-2004, 10:26 AM
quanah

Is it running ok or have you still had engine problems?

Quanah
Old 06-09-2004, 10:33 AM
porterjl2

Other than running rich. Once I have run 2 more tanks, I am going to start leaning its out. I didn't mention that I am running Dynamite First Run Nitro. This made a world of different.