Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Sightler boats?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Sightler boats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sightler boats?

Back in 1978 I covered a Deep-V race for Flying Models that was held at a lake in Stone Mountain, just outside of Atlanta, Gorgia.

There was a fellow there named Doug Floyd from South Carolina who was running an OPS .60 powered Sightler boat and he was consistantly getting 43 laps per race while the rest of the field was turning 40 or less.

I was just wondering if Sightler boats are still around or if anyone remembers them. They were a superior boat in their day.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Sightler boats?

I still see some around racing and somebody had a few at this years Toledo show but I don't know if they are still being made. The closest one to it is a Twincraft and those have recently been brought back.
I've never seen a long race, we only do 6 lap ones now.
They were good boats back then along with the 3-D hulls but there have been a lot of advances in hull design since then.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:54 PM
bobbyh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug is still around but he doesn't play with boats anymore. My dad and I run on Neal Sightler's lake and it's about the only hull I run. It's still a great heat racing hull. The new engines and hardware setups keep that old hull running with the latest and greatest. Unfortunately Neal doesn't build boats any more so they're getting harder and harder to find in usable condition.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:07 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bobby,

I can tell you for sure the Sightler boats were the class of the field at that Stone Mountain race.

Some of the other boats looked like the same design but I called them "Happy-Hookers" because they would be flying down the straight and for no reason make a hook off the course. The Sightler boats were rock-solid.

Doug Floyd put on a clinic in speed and consistancy. A most impressive showing against some of the top boaters in the country at that time.

Another boat that looked like it had potential was a Ward-craft. Never heard of them again.

If you ever see Doug or Neil, tell them I said "Hey."
Old 07-16-2004, 01:36 PM
ScooterNorris

I was doing a search for Neil Sightlers Boats and happened up on this discussion. I raced a Sightler 44" hull back in the early to mid 80's and it was an incredible boat. What a pleasure to drive after having raced a Steve Muck hull. I actually could finish heat races without the high speed Muck aerobatics. I got dusted many times by Doug Floyd and his trick stroker motors. He could flat generate some RPM's. I did beat him once or twice though, after which I puffed up like I was King Kong. Running down at Stone Mountain Park was a blast. Great setting for a boat race and usually cool what with the pits being under the trees. Very cherished memories going racing with Crotchety ole Jim Ivey, Rick Heckle, Tommy Mooneyham, Ken Draughn and all the rest. We had a good turnout for our race in Charlotte every year with Doug Floyd & Neil always coming, John Finch, Randy & Carla Dicks, and the whole gang from Atlanta coming in to bash boats with us.

I'm glad to hear that Neil and Doug are still around. They are both quality people. If anyone sees either of them, tell em Scooter from Charlotte said Hello!!!

PS: If anybody has a Sightler hull laying around they want to sell, I'd lve to know about it.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:14 PM
jeffaada

I recently bought a Black metal-flake Sightler 50 (?) boat and OPS 60 marine engine and assorted hardware. Everything seems brand new but not built or put together. I was wondering where to go for "assembly instructions" or plans? I am new to rc boats although I have built an older Dumas 40 Atlas Van Lines wood Hydro (~ 70% complete) I have a basic non aircraft radio but I would think the servos would need to be upgraded. Any help , advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-16-2014, 01:31 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm not familiar with the Sightler boats but, if you need it, I can offer some advice on the Atlas. Send me a PM if you're interested
Old 09-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Ron Olson

Mark, go over to IW in the Mono forum as they've been discussing them in the vintage boats thread.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:46 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Now Ron, you know I don't do vee hulls or tunnels
Old 09-17-2014, 06:50 AM
Ron Olson

Yeah, I know! It's been a long time since I've seen a Sightler hull but they're still around.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:17 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

I have a sightler 42" hull converted to electric. Ain't fast enough for me I guess but these hulls need nitro power.RON [email protected]
Old 11-08-2017, 01:31 PM
crapshooter

put the right size motor or twin motors in the cat hull and she will go well.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Ron Olson

Originally Posted by crapshooter
put the right size motor or twin motors in the cat hull and she will go well.
Sightler's are mono hulls. A big nitro will work and it is large enough for gas but this was made before gas power started taking off.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:13 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

Default Sightler boat

its not a cat boat can't put twins in it . Also the motor is plenty big enough.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:30 AM
ozne69

Default Have some...

I have some Sightler boats if anyone is interested...
Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ozne69
I have some Sightler boats if anyone is interested...
Please conduct all selling activity in RCUs free Marketplace section. Thank you!!
Old 12-03-2022, 12:20 PM
UncleWaldo

I had a Wardcraft boat! I powered it with a K&B 7.5. It was a pretty competitive boat! I still have the hardware that I ran on it! I might even have a picture of it somewhere! LOL