Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

!!!!DRIVE SYSTEM!!!!! HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

!!!!DRIVE SYSTEM!!!!! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 12:58 AM
rcdriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!!DRIVE SYSTEM!!!!! HELP

im in the planning stages of making a wood over foam outrigger. im in to rc cars so i have an extra .18 in my garage. do u guys have any ideas for a way to hook up a drive shaft??gear??
this is the engine right here--http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/146004.asp.....this motor did about 40mph for me in my stadium truck but i ran it rich to keep the temps around 190-200.....others w/ perfect tuning have been clocked by radar up to 55mph. would there be any difference in speed on water??

thanks for help in advanced
Old 08-26-2004, 05:51 AM
cneal
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: !!!!DRIVE SYSTEM!!!!! HELP

you are better off running a boat motor ,but i have converted a few of my airplane motors to run in boats. first of all you will have to make it water cooled. I did this by taking 1/8!QUOT! aluminum tubing and wrapping it around the cylinder bottom to top then securing it with a hose clamp. as for a drive connector your local hobby store should carry a shaft adaptor. hope this helps
Old 08-26-2004, 05:53 AM
cneal
My Feedback: (4)

you are better off running a boat motor ,but i have converted a few of my airplane motors to run in boats. first of all you will have to make it water cooled. I did this by taking 1/8 inch aluminum tubing and wrapping it around the cylinder bottom to top then securing it with a hose clamp. as for a drive connector your local hobby store should carry a shaft adaptor. hope this helps
Old 08-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a little outrigger hydro that is powered by a .12 motor. They get plenty of air to them, I've even gone as far as removing the top 3 heat sinks from my head and it still runs cool.
The best motors to convert to boat use have a standard full-threaded shaft and rotary carb. There are several Manufacturers that make the running gear for your project. I've used both Octura and Hughey parts so far but others like Fuller's and Fine Design will do the job also.
You might see more or less speed in a boat, it depends on a lot of factors.
I haven't looked at the motor yet but will do so in a minute.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:03 PM
rcdriv

thanks......i will see if i can get a ride over to my lhs since im only 13what would guys recomend for the dimensions

thanks in advanced
Old 08-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Ron Olson

It may be cheaper and a lot easier to buy a kit than try to make an outrigger hydro. Check out www.firefighterboats.com for one of many kits available.
I should have known that it was an XTM engine. I bought an XTM X-cellerator for my son last Christmas, fast truck!
Old 08-26-2004, 07:26 PM
rcdriv

u really think it may be cheaper????? i can get foam from a craft store for like $3 for a 4"x8"x2" block.....balsa wood is $3.50 for a 3 ft piece.....and i already have a can of polyurethane in my garage.....i have servos for throttle and steering.....got the motor & gas tank......rudder...........i think it will be cheaper scratch building plus it will give me something to do
Old 08-26-2004, 07:42 PM
Ron Olson

To build an outrigger properly, one that will run correctly is no easy task. Anyone can throw one together and make it look like something but outriggers are sensitive boats that will react to every adjustment, no matter how slight.
The hull is the cheap part. The running hardware is usually more costly than the kit.
Everyone that has known me in here for a while even before I got the Moderator job knows that I am straightforward in my answers. I honestly don't think that an outrigger hydro is for someone that is 13 years old unless he or she has a lot of previous experience with boats. I myself have just gotten my first 'rigger in the last 2 years and I've been in R/C in different areas for 30 years. I'm not trying to turn you off from what you want, just giving you some facts.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:14 PM
ejp67
My Feedback: (5)

Good luck with the outrigger. It will be a long hard job and you will be lucky if you can get it up on plain. These type of boats require professional help.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:37 PM
rcdriv

thanks for the help.........thats why i made a post on here i didnt know how hard it would be....is there anywhere i can get plans for boats besides rc boat modeler......or is there any other type of boat u recomend that would be easier to build???

thanx in advanced
Old 09-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Crabstick

Hi again

a new member spamming all over the place again , lol

www.microhydros.com - free plans for small riggers , i built one of a modified design of one of tom moorehouse's riggers

http://www.rcflix.com/photopost/show...cat=all&page=1

here is a video of it with a astro 035 and 6 cells, with a temporary deck, you may need to register.

these are some of my electric boats, i dont run them much anymore as i have a 42 inch novacat (similar to a sprintcat) with a os .61vrm ( i sometimes run it on no nitro and dont notice much decrease in speed)and a cmb .90 pipe ( does around the 80 - 85 kmh), and a 1/8 miller american hydro with a .65vrm , i will have it finished in about 2 weeks.