Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Unofficial Nitro Hammer Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Unofficial Nitro Hammer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 07:11 PM
paulleonard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Offical Nitro Hammer Thread

how long has it been since you last greased the shaft?...sounds like the set screw was tightened along the rounded part of the shaft instead of the flat spot.[:@]
Old 05-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Jet Fuel

I never greased the shaft personally. I've only run the boat maybe 4 times and the last time I ran it was October of 2003. Now I will be moving close to a lake and will be able to use my boat more. Do you think my vise grip idea is my only option?
Old 05-31-2005, 08:14 PM
paulleonard

I would try using some sort of lubricant like WD40 or liquid wrench first...or even a little heat to loosen the shaft, I'm just worried that the vise grip idea may bend the shaft, and that will cause it to be unbalanced.....just a thought....[8D]
Old 05-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Jet Fuel

I'll shoot some lubricant in there and let it sit for a day or two...
Old 05-31-2005, 10:36 PM
DaveG55

Took the hammer to the lake last weekend. The real lake, not the small one near the house, and found out that it really does not like real boat waves. It's really cool to get it so far out that it's real tiny and to buzz it by (200' or so) the bass boats - they hated that! But, hey, they were in our cove, I wasn't in their's.
I only had one problem with the boat. It would occasionally try to flip sideways, kind of like prop tourque was trying to flip it over. It was so bad that at one point the boat actually did a barrell roll and kept going. A neat effect but kind of unnearving. It is turning towards the side with the antenna. I tried to bend the trim tab on that side down and the other one up but it would still do the same thing. It did not do this the last time I had it out and I did not change anything since then. Any ideas on why it's doing this and how to stop it?
Thanks
Dave
Old 06-01-2005, 10:44 AM
eas___1990

is it pssible to detach the deck from the hull?i was thinking it would be easier to put in floatation this way
Old 06-01-2005, 10:58 AM
eas___1990

and also does anyone know of way to seal that fliping header im always blowin gasketson average of about 1 a week
Old 06-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Jet Fuel

ORIGINAL: paulleonard

I would try using some sort of lubricant like WD40 or liquid wrench first...or even a little heat to loosen the shaft, I'm just worried that the vise grip idea may bend the shaft, and that will cause it to be unbalanced.....just a thought....[8D]

Woo Hoo!! I don't have any WD-40 or Liquid Wrench here so I sprayed the only thing I have, Rem Oil, in the hole and into both ends of the stuffing box and let it sit overnight. I just yanked on the shaft now and it slid right out. Thanks for the idea.

ORIGINAL: eas___1990

and also does anyone know of way to seal that fliping header im always blowin gasketson average of about 1 a week
I blew the gasket on mine after my 4th time running her. I just ordered some gaskets from Tower and will use some high temp RTV on both sides of the gasket.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:20 PM
paulleonard

has the prop been damaged?...like a crack along the spindal?...sounds like its out of balance...is the shaft lined up with the rudder?...these are just some thoughts.......

Old 06-01-2005, 06:23 PM
paulleonard

glad to see the lub...idea worked...
Old 06-01-2005, 06:45 PM
paulleonard

As anyone ventured out of the original radio box, and substituted it with something that is actually water resistant?....and a little more practical?...

I was wondering, has anyone actually installed a surface drive on the NH yet?...and how did it work out?

[sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-01-2005, 06:58 PM
eas___1990

i got rid of the radio box and sealed my servos following a tip from www.offshoreelectrics.com and built a battery and rx box.The only thing is that the box sits on the side and makes the drift off to the side,i think soon i will water proof my rx and just leave the batteries out in the hull or wrap them in electrical tape. second answer is ejp had put a surface drive on his but he doesnt use the hulll at the moment.It is'nt flawed or anything he just took the stuff out of the hull and put it in a different hull,i think that the surfacedrive actually increased the speed by alot and i was going to do it here in the near futur if i get the money.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:03 PM
eas___1990

is a 2.5 a .18?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:38 PM
paulleonard

Thanks for the link...alot of great info there....by the way its .15...Still the original ..
Old 06-03-2005, 09:37 AM
eas___1990

oh no problem any time.Ya i figured it was,i was wondering becuase i couldnt find and super chargers for my engine and saw somwhere where some put one on a stock bud engine
Old 06-06-2005, 07:32 PM
alex_hockey
My Feedback: (5)

great deal on a hammer here only 3 days left and 60$ looks brand new to bad i already bought a new boat [&o]and am outta cash jus wanted to try and help ppl if they were having trouble findin a hammer that looked good ...... http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MEBI:IT ive finally drove one of these boats and there a blast to drive i jus finished adding a coat of clear coat to my boat one more and i will be on the water
Old 06-10-2005, 02:57 PM
ratpower396

is there a way i can increase my runtime like installing a larger tank? Right now i only get 4 minutes & thats with it tuned right..Anyone else dissapointed with their runtimes??
Old 06-10-2005, 05:44 PM
eas___1990

i only get about 3-3 1/2 min. but i got a .18 in mine.My personal thought on the tank is its a piece of junk but what can i say im cheap dont have time.I would put a 4 oz. tank in and get rid of the stock.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:27 AM
paulleonard

Well guys I took the Hammer out yesterday, and I flipped her over for the first time [sm=drowning.gif] , but no worries I took the advise of many and installed the NOODLE, and was floating upside down perfectly...only about 1/2 cup of water inside...after about a 20 min flotation and recovery...So THANKS for the advise..[sm=thumbup.gif] although I'm having a little trouble getting the trim tabs adjusted so that i don't loose control while going top speed...I have the original factory tabs still installed..Any ideas?

Mods so far...
Drilled 1 inch hole for air intake
Moved rudder up 1/2 inch to remove drag . works great!
Upgraded to Brass Prop
Epoxy coated wood stringers to protect from moisture
Installed fuel filter

Thinking about installing ride pads
Old 06-12-2005, 11:38 AM
ejp67

bigger tabs. with those mods you are getting more speed then stock. Make or buy some new tabs and fins.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:24 PM
Nitro Kid
My Feedback: (9)

For my hammer I cut a hole for fresh air to the carb, Then I put a scoop on backwards to stop water coming over the deck into the hole. So my question is, will it sink a lot faster with the hole and scoop? I have pictures if anyone wants to see it.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Nitro Kid
My Feedback: (9)

Does anybody know what size (cc) the fuel tank is in th NH?
Old 06-12-2005, 02:33 PM
ejp67

Whatever 2 oz's is. Yes, I would think it would sink faster with the big hole but just put some good floatation in there and you'll be fine.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:56 PM
paulleonard

I just flipped mine, and I have the 1!QUOT! hole cut with no scoop, but i had good flotation installed...got only about a 1/2 cut of water in the hull after about 2o min of recovery time.... highly recommended....
Old 06-12-2005, 04:58 PM
paulleonard

do you happen to know a recommended size,or the dimentions so i could make them....Thanks....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.