Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Unofficial Nitro Hammer Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Unofficial Nitro Hammer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 06:19 PM
greedygibson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Unofficial Nitro Hammer Thread

ORIGINAL: wave waker

do u have pics pls?..i used the pvc elbow and milk jug handle as my air scoop before but i wanna new look..

I have uploaded a couple of photos into my gallery as you can see its not finished yet but i got impatient and wanted to see how it would look
Old 12-16-2006, 04:23 PM
greedygibson

oh well another bad day at the lake only have salt water round here with easy access so have been running there. i cleaned the water out as best i could without a full strip down but i think it got into the engine and was seizing it up. Anyway got it all freed up and test started it at home and all seemed fine, got it running and set it off ran ok for a minute but then started slowing down pulled it in and checked that the water ways where clear and that it was getting cooling, all seemed ok so i leaned it up a touch as i thought it might be bogging down with to much fuel (this is where it gets really sad) Fired it up and it ran for 5 seconds then it stopped with the flywheel still spinning round as the lock nut had come loose, checked if it would turn over and the engine was solid!!!! Got it home and started the strip down but when i tried to get the end plate off to get to the crank it was seized on. I got it off in the end but in the process have broken off all of the pull start mounting places. I also have a broken con rod and the piston is very tight in the bore. 4 runs in and i have a very sick little boat!!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:25 AM
greedygibson

Hi
i got a new engine installed it and took it to a different lake that i think is not salt water. I dont know if my 1st engine was faulty from the start as with the new engine i filled it up set it at 2 1/2 turns out run it for about 3 mins brought it back in and it had hardly used any fuel, with the old engine after 3 mins of high idle running it ran out of fuel?. i spent quite a bit of time walking round the lake when it kept stalling but was great fun. At this rate of fuel its going to take me forever to run it in. It was a bit windy with some nice waves and it coped great only had 2 hours and got in about 30 mins of running but just about used 1 tank of fuel. 1 question the water pick up pipe is very high it was picking up when running as i checked in a drive past, but does not pick up in the test tank i have now should this not be lower to pick up from the prop wash?

Graeme
Old 12-29-2006, 09:48 AM
RedBullVegas

Hello M8. Anywho, the water pick up on this boat only works (for me any way) is a gravity feed basis. As in when the boat is moving...it is pushing water through the line. It works the same way on my Miss Vegas. There are two ways to get the water to feed whilst sitting still. 1) install a pump. not very practical on this boat. 2) turn your pipe into a wet pipe. Allow the natural pressure that passes through the header to act as a vaccum and pull the water in...not suggested if this is your first attempt. Gets costly trying to figure out where exactly is the best spot to place the valve on the header.

As for your statement about running 30 minutes and not even clearing 1 tank of fuel....man I wish my Hammer got that kind of mileage. Are you running a bigger tank or what?

Cheers.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:03 PM
greedygibson

Hi there i will leave the pick up alone then as it was working fine when running. with the fuel i was only running it around on idle as its a brand new engine a couple of throttles was as much as it got im being really gentle with this engine i want more than 4 runs
The tank is standard.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:03 PM
irishdrifter

hey guys
got my nitro hammer a while ago, just ran it in. i was using 10% fuel (liquid gold) and was told that its crap fuel, what fuel do u guys use. its only been trough 5-6 tanks, as you can tell its my first nitro.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:43 PM
RedBullVegas

Here is the thing...your engine can handle a LOT stronger fuel than 10%

The reason is because you are running a marine engine. Not a car engine. Here are a few tips to consider.

Remove the headshim (if it is still there) To do this, remove the 4 head bolts and take off the water cooling head. Just under the head, you will see a "spacer" looking piece. Take that out, and screw the head back on tight. But not so tight that you strip the aluminum head.

Now, you are going to have to re break in the engine on a higher nitro content...say, anywhere between 30% Monster Fuel to 65% O'donnell fuel.
By just doing that, I think you will notice that the boat screams now when you run it. There is a good article on another forum or you could probably just search through RCU and use the search term "Nitro, Fuel, Content" until you find it I don't remember where it is on here.

I personally run 50% fuel that I use for my race boats. Specifically designed with additives that preserve the engine.

And a rule of thimb to go by once done running the boat.....You can never have too much after-run oil in the engine. It is good to take the engine apart a couple times a season, clean everything including the brearings and coat everything with a good amount of oil and remove any rust. It is very important that the holes in the crank (in the bottom of the engine) remain clean, oiled and in good standing as far as maintenance.

When Disassembling an engine, I take several plastic baggies and label them with the parts that are in each bag to help ease the assembly process. If you can get an exploded view of the engine which is usually found in the back of the manual for the boat..That is really a big help.

Don't be intimidated. These engines are simple enough to work on...by the time you have done this a couple times, you are ready to look at internal upgrades or even Port Tuning...But if this is your first go around...I strongly reccommend spare parts. Just in case the process does not go exactly as planned.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Winged Avenger
My Feedback: (1)

Oh bore...my is just sitting in a corner..have no time for mine!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Adding to what RedBull said about tearing down engines, remember to not force anything. In particular, sleeves and bearings. On some engines, these will pop right out. On others, you need to heat the crankcase for a while to get them out. Some people will suggest heating with a torch or heat gun, but I think it's safer to heat them evenly in an oven. Try setting it at 300 degrees to see of that loosens them up. On one engine I had to go up to 400 before I could get the bearings out.

While you have the bearings out, but after they've cooled, hold the inner race and turn the outer one slowly. If it feels anything but silky smooth, replace the bearing. Not only will this improve performance, but it will significantly reduce the risk of additional engine damage which is very likely to occur if the bearing fails while the engine is running.

Heat may also be required to put the bearings and sleeve back in. For installation, just heat just the crankcase. You might even want to chill the bearings in the freezer for a while. Also note that when you reinstall the bearings, you should have them on the shaft to ensure that they are properly aligned.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:13 PM
irishdrifter

cheers guys, very helpful. ill keep you posted.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:12 PM
BB Modss

Old 01-18-2007, 10:39 PM
toyotatruckin

Is that set-up working for ya???
Old 01-19-2007, 10:36 AM
BB Modss

Not sure...only testing its seen is some water tank floating and idling test,im headed to the lake this weekend though so ill find out.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:43 PM
abtofafreek

Default RE: Offical Nitro Hammer Thread

HEY IVE BEEN GETTING INTO RC BOATS FOR A COUPLE YEARS AND REALY ENJOY EVERYONES INPUT ESPECIALLY THE SEASONED VERTANS THAT CONTRIBUTE THERE EXPERTISE AS FAR AS MY NH I JUST CUT A HOLE IN THE TOP FOR AIRFLOW ,SHORTENED THE RUDDER AND BROKE THE ENGINE IN ,AND IT FLY'S THE THING SMOKES MY BUDDIES W/THE SAME BOAT .BUT EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT PADS WHAT ARE THEY EXACTLY AND WHAT BENIFITS ARE THERE??????BTW UP HERE IN VANCOUVER WASHINGTON WE HAVE OLD NO LONGER USED LETTUCE FIELDS THAT FLOOD DUE TO THE CREEK RUNNING THROUGH THEM THAT MAKES HUGE PONDS THAT ARE 10-20 INCHES DEEP AND WIDE OPEN SO THERES ALLWAYS GLASS WATER AND PLENTY OF ROOM FOR WIDE OPEN THROTTLE[8D]
Old 01-21-2007, 06:36 AM
greedygibson

I got to run my hammer today and finally got the new motor run in. It was running really sweet we have high winds over here at the moment and the water was a bit choppy but the hammer was coping really well. BUT as seems to be with all my runs my fun was ended early when the rudder servo decided to freak out and locked itself on full right turn after dancing for about 30 secs left to right. Oh well will strip it down and clean it up and see how that goes. Got a full day booked next week so hope no problems then.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:02 PM
BB Modss

Abtofafreek please don't use caps lock all the time, it makes reading your post distracting.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:04 PM
greedygibson

Broke the hammer out today and gotta say that now the engine is broken in what a little sweetie this thing is. fired it up with about 3 pulls idled perfectly and away she went. 1 hours worth of cruising and no mishaps total joy
Old 03-11-2007, 08:55 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: greedygibson

Broke the hammer out today and gotta say that now the engine is broken in what a little sweetie this thing is. fired it up with about 3 pulls idled perfectly and away she went. 1 hours worth of cruising and no mishaps total joy

yep! it's a fun lil' thing,,,,i got a video post on YouTube for hammer,,try search it there by using Wavewaker2 as keyword.....sorry do no how to post the link here.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb4M2XcD0l8 or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4n-asOp4wY
Old 03-21-2007, 10:27 PM
nooob

I just got a NH. Had it for about a week now and it hasent even touched the water. I cant get it to idle. It will start but it either cuts off after a min or when I get the cover back on it. I am using 10% nitro could that be the problem? Help!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:32 PM
dicko

you want to use about 20% nitro & about 12% oil. i had trouble with 16% nitro & tuning. my friend runs 20% & had no probs with tuning so i've switched. an engine also doesn't like to sit there idling, it's designed to race. it should hold a consistent idle for about ten seconds then bog down a bit & need a blip of the throttle to clear it out again.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:45 PM
nooob

Thanks. I got some 20% nitro and it works great.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:59 PM
nooob

Anyone have any good stories about having to save their hammer? I had to crawl into a drainage pipe today.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 PM
dicko

plenty of times i've flipped it in the middle of the lake & had to jump in a canoe & retrieve it. GrantEd has hit a bank that jutted out with his which made it do a somersault & he managed to land it & keep it going. that was impressive. it happened right before he threw a rod.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:14 AM
robwest

What kind of speeds is anyone getting out of the nitro hammer. My cousin was thinking about getting one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.