Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

THE UNOFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

THE UNOFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:35 PM
fastpepper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE UNOFFICIAL SHOCKWAVE 36 THREAD

okay so basically, im going to stick with the m445,
thanks for the input guys... and im going to try to find a super thin plexiglass peice that will fit over the top.... i hate taping it... when i flip it its not even close to holding when its under the water...
haha
anyways thanks guys.

and when you said the angle of the rudder, did you mean raked forward or back?
Justin
Old 08-25-2010, 07:44 PM
rgoers

ORIGINAL: fastpepper

still.... the shockwave does handle really well in a straight line at high speed.... just turing is scary....
are we all agreed?
like it doesn't have a huge tendance to flip like the cats do... it just rolls.... but straight line in waves is awesome on the shockwave.
no?
Move the rudder rod to the outside hole on the steering dog (rudder end, not servo end)! You will be able to turn at WOT without flipping it, and still turn a 12 foot radius. I moved mine soon after I got it - works like a champ! The factory setting allows the rudder to turn *way* too far for any practical use.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 PM
apache 1

Justin, I thought you put a TT.46 in your boat. I was gonna suggest an x450. Lt Hogweed and I are both using great snap down boxes that we both sent pics of in. Where have you been any way. I've been dieing to here more about your boat.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:58 AM
fastpepper

hey man. :P yea i put the TT in... its a beast... but i cant find the right prop for it... i was wondering about the m447...?
so far with a plastic prop im getting 42.6 mph out of it...
thats JUST before a huge wipeout.... :P
haha im thinking of putting those strakes down the back end of the hull like someone in this post...
might be something to fiddle with...
im trying to get a youtube up of my boat dude, but its being a bugger.... :P i got a 12 min vid... its awesome!
Justin
Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 AM
amax

YouTube takes 10 MINUTE Vid Max.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:28 PM
fastpepper

kk
Old 08-27-2010, 02:23 PM
fastpepper

so ive totally redone my radio box now... i cut out the old ****8y fiberglass one leaving about 2 inches of the sides that go down to anchor the new box, and ive inserted one that fits and i glued it around the edge of the old one, THATS HOW PERFECTLY IT FIT!! it snaps closed and its perfect...
now i just have to secure the servos in the bottom of the box. im going to use a glue called GOOP
its awesome! but basically thats all im working on right now. i hate having to dry out my servos after every crash... giant pain...

ALSO  i have a question, i went to run the boat yesterday before it flipped and the motor would not run properly when it was out of the water....
i would start it with the sulivan tiger drive, then leave the glow ignitor on for 5-10 seconds and as soon as i touched the throttle it died, i also had to rev the engine up quite high to be able to take the ignitor off without it stalling... i checked the plug and its fine.
it was quite windy and i was wondering if it was stalling because the gusts were getting into the carb and causing a weird fuel mixture with more air in the gusts than usual...?
Justin
Old 08-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Motoman25
My Feedback: (1)

sounds like you are tuned incorrectly. probably rich if it will only run with the glow igniter on it or revving it then removing.

turn your pilot screw in 1/4 to 1/2 a turn i bet it clears up.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 PM
apache 1

Your glow plug is shot Justin. Just because it glows with the igniter attached does not meen it works. In fact its the tell tale sign of when they are cooked.
I want shots of your boat. It took me all winter to build mine and it was tuff. You did yours in a week. I got questions. Did you use the same mounts? What exhaust did you use? How did you link up with the collet? Did you redue your stuffing tube? How do you start it? Come on throw us a bone . If the TT46 is a better upgrade than the OS46 you should share it with us.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:07 AM
wet a wild

THIS IS A NICE BOAT WHEN IT IS RUNNING STRONG. I RACE MY BOAT THIS YEAR FOR 5 YEARS IN A ROW.
Attached Images    
Old 08-28-2010, 10:46 AM
LT_HOGWEED

you just blowing smoke Justin lets see some pics be cause i was thinking about getting the TT
Old 08-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Motoman25

Little vid I took on friday behind the house. Still need to take off my trim tabs and slot the holes. The came mounted crooked from ProBoat and I think the one hanging below the hull is giving me that little bit of high speed wobble. Other than that, the boat handles great. It really turns well with the turn fins swapped sides, some weight up near the tank, and the trim tabs tilted up a bit.

http://vimeo.com/14579662

[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcKI7pr3GVM[/youtube]

Old 08-31-2010, 11:13 AM
LT_HOGWEED

hay motoman good vid at first i thought i saw the thing go up in flames yah i know it was the sun
Old 08-31-2010, 12:25 PM
amax

ORIGINAL: Motoman25

Little vid I took on friday behind the house. Still need to take off my trim tabs and slot the holes. The came mounted crooked from ProBoat and I think the one hanging below the hull is giving me that little bit of high speed wobble. Other than that, the boat handles great. It really turns well with the turn fins swapped sides, some weight up near the tank, and the trim tabs tilted up a bit.
Hey looks like your having fun there, if that's the stock .32 you have that thing turning up nice.
One thing I see from the vid though is your prop could use some Tweaking. If you watch your rooster tail you see it going Straight Up from the prop when you Gas It, that is Wasted Propulsion. In a mono Hull you don't need a lot of Lift from the prop you need Propulsion. The more Lift you have the Higher the Tail will shoot,, the more Propulsion You have the Further Back it will shoot. Ideally in a mono you want a Low arching Long tail that is one uniform stream of water.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:22 PM
Motoman25

ORIGINAL: amax

Hey looks like your having fun there, if that's the stock .32 you have that thing turning up nice.
One thing I see from the vid though is your prop could use some Tweaking. If you watch your rooster tail you see it going Straight Up from the prop when you Gas It, that is Wasted Propulsion. In a mono Hull you don't need a lot of Lift from the prop you need Propulsion. The more Lift you have the Higher the Tail will shoot,, the more Propulsion You have the Further Back it will shoot. Ideally in a mono you want a Low arching Long tail that is one uniform stream of water.
Yes it is the stock .32. Porting the header pipe and cleaning up the casting and bumping the compression made a whole lot of difference for me. I was dialing in the carb tuning and decided to do those two things first. When I put it back together the tuning was spot on and it had a nice linear power delivery from the bottom all the way to the top. You can hear how snappy it is on the dock. Before the headpipe porting it didn't have that "snap". It would bog at the spot between the low and high circuit when punched on the dock.

What do you suggest I do to alter the prop? I had it sharpened and balanced when i bought it. I also bought an x447, an X645 and the boat came with a prather 260. I balanced and sharpened all of them myself, but none of them perform like the m445. I am tuning by sound and load in the water. All of these props don't have the punch out of the corners and sound like they are over-propping the motor to me.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 PM
rcguy1411

i think that the 447 is to big for the .32 think that is the prop i need for my .45 think that the m445 has turned out to be the best prop for all around performance
Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Motoman25

Yeah those other props haven't worked well for me at all...
Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 PM
rgoers

What do you suggest I do to alter the prop? I had it sharpened and balanced when i bought it. I also bought an x447, an X645 and the boat came with a prather 260. I balanced and sharpened all of them myself, but none of them perform like the m445. I am tuning by sound and load in the water. All of these props don't have the punch out of the corners and sound like they are over-propping the motor to me.

There is some adjustment you can do with the strut. You can angle the prop down a little, like I did with mine. It will push the nose down a bit more while running, but you get a little more thrust out of it.

I did see some wobble in at least one of the runs (going from l to r) in the vid. Redistributing the weight made a world of difference with my boat. No more wobble at all, and I can run it WOT all day long, instead of having to do short blips to keep it under control.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:27 PM
amax

well it's easier to explain with pictures but I don't have any,,LOL.
One of your blades is Off or misshapen at the trailing "Tip" of the blade, it is allowing water to Exit off the Side of the blade and not off the Back of the blade. That's why the part of the tail that goes straight up is Thin and the rest of the tail that shoots back is denser.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Motoman25

ORIGINAL: amax

well it's easier to explain with pictures but I don't have any,,LOL.
One of your blades is Off or misshapen at the trailing "Tip" of the blade, it is allowing water to Exit off the Side of the blade and not off the Back of the blade. That's why the part of the tail that goes straight up is Thin and the rest of the tail that shoots back is denser.
I think I get what you mean. I'm going to make sure my trim tabs are correct then the next order of business is the prop.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:54 PM
apache 1

Had mine out today. Must say I'm pretty happy with my upgrades. Its faster and handles better. The OS.46 is a great engine once you losen it up and get your head around the belt start and forward carb. Still got some flat spots in the acceleration, but better. Its going pretty fast and stays really stable for the most part. Not much chine walk but it will still go rubber chicken over certain rollers at high speeds. Turning is really nice. I"m still finding out its high speed turning limits, learned more today when I spun out and sunk it. Usually I can stay on the throttle and recover from a spin, but not with a combined twist and roll landing inverted. Good thing I didn't put the new servos in yet if I'm going to keep submarining it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35896.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	1496477  
Old 09-06-2010, 07:19 PM
stunter2b

ORIGINAL: apache 1
Good thing I didn't put the new servos in yet if I'm going to keep submarining it.

Why don't you water proof them?

If you want a youtube link on how to do this I'll post it, you can make your servo's 100% water proof Imean sink them under water and make them turn..
Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 PM
rgoers

ORIGINAL: apache 1

... I''m still finding out its high speed turning limits, learned more today when I spun out and sunk it. ...
Move the rudder dog to the OTHER hole on the top control arm! You'll turn just as sharp as before, but never spin out again. The factory setting makes NO sense! There's no way turning the rudder that far has any useful purpose... other than sinking the boat.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 PM
apache 1

I've tried greasing them or silicone in the past. Always made a mess and ended up having trouble squeezing them back in. I know, open the holes a little. Ijust get a little lazy about the little things sometimes.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:45 PM
apache 1

The rudders on my boat are not factory. Not much is on this one.
Anyone else get theirs out this weekend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.