Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

Old 01-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

Ok first I'd like to state I love my nitro vee, great sport boat with the proper tweakings, second if the the shockwaves and others have there own thread why not the nitro vee, and third I believe the boat can be pushed to its limits and pass other rtr boats easily....Ill start this with my mods, I have a prop shaft kits from offshore electrics(40mm CF prop, works perfect), a macs 2.5cc tuned pipe(stock header pipe for now, tubed one later to come), a carb off a .25 magnum airplane motor(direct fit, tons better), upgraded cooling (see pics), and a 5 cell duratrax reciever battery which is 5 2/3A cells, works perfect even with the RTS, and finally a TQ transmitter(no more two stick garbage). it really flys now, Plenty fast for sprot boating, I'll GPS it when it gets nicer out, lots of wind now, which brings me to my story to start the thread...So I'm at the pond, 15-20mph winds blowing strait down the pond, I toss it out and get on the throttle, make a few slow laps, a little darty going into the wind whic was expected, so I start running it out, drop the hammer into the wind, speed peaks out, catches a wave, and we have LIFTOFF, It had 2 feet of day light under it as i watched it flip over and land upsidedown, runs a second, shuts off, and drifts in withough taking on much water at all(suprising, it was in the water 10-15 minutes) emptied it out(like half cup of water max). took about 5 minutes to get it to fire again, guess it got some water in it, dfired up and off it went again...this is why i love this boat so much, works great, it flips no prob, stall no prob...nice...below are pictures of my set up(will upload later) please if you have one of these or are interested, or just have an opinion heres the place...Thanks for the interest...

...Lets take these things to the next level...
Old 01-18-2006, 07:45 PM
wave waker

Default RE: The unofficial Home of all that is Nitro Vee...

sounds great,,pics pls.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:58 PM
Vertical3-D

Here they are, no running pics yet, I'll try and get some but i usually run alone, woulda loved to have that flip on video. anyway let me know what you think of it so far(far from done)...thanks...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89138.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	390373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82387.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	390374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53857.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	390375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22765.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	390376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15964.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	390377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77484.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	390378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40211.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	390379  
Old 01-18-2006, 11:01 PM
wave waker

vertical3-D, nice mods, like the mac pipe look aggressive fast...

btw,where i can buy .25 magnum carb? it's a rotary carb,right?..thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Vertical3-D

yeah rotary, went right in with a sligh adjustment on the throttle linkage, kinda tough to sqeeze them bu the cooling inlet/outlet on the head but it doesn come in and out trust me,I'd check tower hobbies they may have it, also make sure if you can that its the right size, mine is from an older motor, dont know if they would have changed them but i dont think they would, i like them, good carbs, plus i hate traxxas carbs. and the pipe is a definate upgrade and good reason to fix the cooling and make it right, also take note to the placement of my turn fin, note its perpendicular with the hull on that side and lined up with the strake(i dont know hwo it handled stock but this way works pretty good)still can spin if pushed though(outdrives, i love to hate them)...I really hope ppl start getting into the modding of these, the boat recieves a bad rep. because of a few flaws in design that can be fixed easy enough...
Old 01-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Vertical3-D

doesnt look like tower has then, but the have s-loads of others, any carb for a larger airplane engine that will fit would probablly be good, because the dont limit the airplane carbs like they do on cars for racing purpose, and it looks like the carbs have changed(dunno if they are still same size though) OS engines run nice if you are familiar with airlbeed cabrs which most os plane engines(such as the LA series use)...I basically looked for something reliable that just happen to boost the power...
Old 01-30-2006, 07:12 AM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER
My Feedback: (4)

i too have the nitro vee. well not yet. sometime this week. the only one mod i have on it right now is a brass prop. i believe by looking at the pic is a 3 blade one. here is a pic of it. yes it needs repairs but in due time. and yes lets us nitro vee drivers keep this alive. and get more modding ideas.[8D]

Name:	Yw69073.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	398357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84229.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	398358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62985.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	398359  
Old 02-01-2006, 11:49 AM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

BOAT FINALLY SHOWED UP>>>> the before pics are already on here. i will update with more when i can.
so far all decals are off it. i will be buying an airbrush, along with met gold paint and gloss black. custom
made graphics are also being applied after paint. right now as she sits she is white as if she came right out from original box...also i made the mistake by saying she has a 3 blade prop on it. she is 2 blade.

Name:	Da83432.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	399801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20061.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	399802  
Old 02-03-2006, 08:53 AM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

well here she is with just the trim done...

Name:	Nk27722.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	401096  
Old 02-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Vertical3-D

I take it that you took the exhaust coupling off there as it is on in the before pics, you may wanna think about a tuned pipe for it, I really like my macs 2.5cc pipe, it was 28 bucks at tower, takes a little work to mount it, you can see how i did mine in the pics i have one here....glad to see at least someone is talking about these boats....
Old 02-03-2006, 11:41 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

well i did say lets keep it goin anyways what ya want for the pipe you have there besides yours?
Old 02-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Vertical3-D

what did you mean, did you wanna know what else is the first things to upgrade...the pipes are 28 bucks from towerhobbies, and when you switch pipes it gives you a reason to redo the cooling system, which i also heavily suggest doing...
Old 02-04-2006, 03:46 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

i thought you siad in a post that ya have a pipe there? anyways now i am looking for a tank now due to this one when i got it was split on top. hence leaking fuel into compartment.. i have also removed the 2 o rings on cylender head. down to one now. made sure the cooling ring was clean as well.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Vertical3-D

nah...no extra pipes, like i said they are like 28 bucks here from tower...yeah an airlane style tank should fit fine in there and be leak free, or just buy a new one from tower...they are fairly cheap and it will bolt right in, also im gonna paint mine now, either red or lime green, and it will have a thick flat black stripe on the side that breaks up at the back kinda like the stripe on an old plymouth AAR cuda, which is cool cuz i have a 76 dart sport(basically a duster) that im working on(the car will be white though)...should look cool...I'll get pics whenever I get it done...did you run it since the gaskets were removed(you can fire it up for like a mintue w/o water to the head)or hook up a cooling system to it, just a hose the pushes water throught the head(from a sink,hose, or even a bottle hung above the boat)...but DO NOT rev it up outta the water, little slight blips of the throttle are ok but no reving high...otherwise you blow the connecting rod and have to rebuild the motor...
Old 02-06-2006, 08:00 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

hey now that i know your online. how did you get the existing water intake off and still use the existing bracket? or can i cut just where it goes thick and put in brass tube into that part? also no i have not run it yet, mine is done now with paint. but i still wanna get the cooling tube done. mine i just painted the deck of it , the deck is mettalic red (wich looks more like mettalic burgandy) and the trim of it i painted gloss black. the fins on bottom of boat are also painted gloss black, but the bottom of boat remains white. the figures are not6 done yet but they will be. i repaired the bottom of it where the patch was with 2 part epoxy. sanded to best i could then i painted the marked spots white again.
will post pics of the boAt when i get my camera back....
Old 02-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Vertical3-D

my cooling piece broke off where it gets thick, right where it is in the pics of my boat, then i simply ran a drill of proper size to match my tube through the thick part...then simply slid the tube in and adden a dab of epoxy on it to hold it in...
Old 02-06-2006, 10:26 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

a tad bit too late for the responce man i figured i would give it a shot. i cut off both tips on the mount. then used my dremel with the biggest size bit i had for it. worked great too. then i used crazy glue to stick it in place. bonded in a second so i had to be quick squeezing the tube in the hole. but its done now and all back together. so now i sit and wait to find a tank .... then when i do get one i will put engine and elecs back into it. throw 5% nitro in and try it in bathtub, hopefully she starts no problems....as i have no idea when she last started. she did have after run oil in it so it should be ok....
Old 02-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Vertical3-D

if you start in in the bathtub you'll smoke the house up real quick, another idea is to sit it in a big rubbermade or similar tub, outside, also do like i did and run the cooling exit out the side of the hull, then t the extra pressure tap on the manifold into the exhuast pressure line(to the tank) this will help cooling flow significantly also...and 5%fuel will work, but on 15 im having a hard time pushing the 30mph barrier(dont think i have it yet) i may try something around 30-35% in it to get more speed...5 will run fine though, justy dont expect it to be a real firebreather, which its hard to make any pro.15 a true smallblock powerhouse
Old 02-07-2006, 07:24 AM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

i have an air fan in bathroom so that wont be bad. i kinda like the dual exhaust on back . so i dont know if i will be getting a pipe for it. unless i can get a dually. one question? how does your elecs take the heat from this pipe you have? any problems?what did you use to make sure the water did not get into the boat on the side? have you tried to use the stock muffler when you got it? how did it perform with the exhaust and water valve on it...? if i do anything more to it i'll do the cooling hose out to the side and get some chrome pieces to put on the muffler ends.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Vertical3-D

No, I didnt run it with the duals, its more like an airplane muffle than a tuned pipe, these little engines are small and high strung so they can beifit from the pipe a lot....I did see a guy that used a tuned pipe, then from that ran it through an aftermarket pipe for the nitro vee which had dual chrome tips slash cut of(these where on ebay for a little while so maybe there is one on there), But I was more for the performance and the tuned pipe has a nice exhaust tone(if you like screaming nitros)...im sure its alot louder than stock so if noise is a problem then id say dont, no probs with the electronics yet, there is decent room though in the pics it looks like its laying on them, the support at the back of it holds it up, I also have now made a wooden plate that covers the back where the exhaust holes were, looks better now than it did, once i paint it( maybe tonight....i hope) ill get some pics up and you can see it...im not quite sure what you mean about watter on the side?...It gets some in when it runs but the servos sit up off the hull and the reciever is bagged(battery sits above the bootom of the hull too)..look into a rechargable pack, cuz the RTS will eat through AA cells every few outings, worse if its not tuned right...also for the water, i dont worry bout it really jsut empty the stuff thats in the out after every run...I flipped it and it still stayed afloat till it drifted in, though it took a good 5-10 minutes to get it started(i think i got water in the fuel for something, but i got it then and it has been fine since...actually it idled for at least 45 seconds upside down till it starved of fuel...they have foam in the front to prevent total sinking but a fishing pole to retrive it or an electric boat to push it in isnt a bad idea(if its choppy or windy, cuz RTS does nothing when its belly up like a dead fish)...anyway ill get more pics when its painted
Old 02-07-2006, 04:45 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

well now i am in a real bind, i found out that nitro fuel got under the whole floor between the bottom of boat and where engine is. so i cut out the bad parts, luckily my mounts are all fine.. ii have some thin plastic squares about 6x6 inch and maybe 1 cm in thickness. so now i am goin to make a new floor for this. gonna make sure that nitro dont get under there again. i used windex to clean the nitro off and wiped it bone dry. also had cracks that i found from where it was damaged. i then coated these cracks with crazy glue as to prevent them from opening if i hit a wave or something., when i get done making a floorpan i'll hopefully have my digi back. so i will post the boat as it is now and then also with new floor plate.as for the pipes at the back i might have a custome made set with chrome on it.duallys at that...
Old 02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Vertical3-D

1 cm thick, holy crap thats thick stuff, id say something around .1 inch would be good, i dunno what that is in mms though,maybe some sheet styrene(almost my entire dumas tug is made from this stuff and its tough)tower has it as well...
Old 02-07-2006, 07:18 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

if its in sheets then i guess thats what i am using. anyways its done now. used weldbond to seal it in place. no nitro goin to get through there now!. also fixed where the tank goes over the plastic insert so now i know i will be safe....goin to take some pics now. post after i am done....
Old 02-07-2006, 08:04 PM
NITRO_VEEDRIVER

now for the finished product. minus the decals and passengers painted

Name:	Lj22097.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	403960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99953.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	403961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74935.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	403962  
Old 02-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Vertical3-D

looks good, mine is a little messe up under the clear cover too, but I may take it apart and fix it while its uber cold here for a few weeks....i started my paint tonight, going orange with semi flat black, like old mopar....so should look sweet....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.