Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

clutch for nitro boat

Reply

Old 05-19-2016, 09:41 PM
  #26  
20prcnt
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: mt. shasta, CA
Posts: 32
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by f16man View Post
I am trying to grasp the concept of using a clutch in a boat????????????but I can not think of one good reason,,, fill me in please!!!

i always wanted to build a drag boat..so from dead stop to full out straight race..with a air cooled head.
20prcnt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:42 AM
  #27  
ronbo85
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by visiontech4x4 View Post
I make these units on my lathe. They are made from 6061 aircraft aluminum and quality bearings. They come if different sizes for different motors and can be made to custom fit your application. The clutch shoe is made of a high strength neoprene rubber and is designed in a way that you can tune it to engage at the RPM that you want. The unit shown is on my cmb .67 which is to be installed on my dumas Miss Circus Circus build. I am currently offering this unit for $100 each. Additional clutch shoes are $15.00 each. I feel that this is a very reasonable price as the materials to make cost me about $25.00 per unit and about 8-10hrs to manufacture and test before shipping. If anyone is interested please reply. Again these can be custom made to fit your application.
hi, are you still mfg these clutch kits? Thank you
ronbo85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:34 PM
  #28  
Hydro Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 7,329
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by visiontech4x4 View Post
I make these units on my lathe. They are made from 6061 aircraft aluminum and quality bearings. They come if different sizes for different motors and can be made to custom fit your application. The clutch shoe is made of a high strength neoprene rubber and is designed in a way that you can tune it to engage at the RPM that you want. The unit shown is on my cmb .67 which is to be installed on my dumas Miss Circus Circus build. I am currently offering this unit for $100 each. Additional clutch shoes are $15.00 each. I feel that this is a very reasonable price as the materials to make cost me about $25.00 per unit and about 8-10hrs to manufacture and test before shipping. If anyone is interested please reply. Again these can be custom made to fit your application.
Do you plan on racing your Circus? I know the Dumas boats are made heavy and, when you add the extra weight of your clutch, I can't see it being able to compete with lighter boats. The other issue I would have is if you try to do a trolling start, like many do in the northwest, you would have to be on and off the throttle just to keep up headway
Hydro Junkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:50 PM
  #29  
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)
 
Tidnab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clearfield, PA
Posts: 1,052
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default


Originally Posted by 20prcnt View Post
i always wanted to build a drag boat..so from dead stop to full out straight race..with a air cooled head.
If you want to build one like the real ones with the engine mounted in the rear, you would need a V drive .A guy who's screen name is 2speed on Model Gas Boats MGB Home and maybe other forums makes V drive gearboxes to use with either electric,nitro or gasoline engines. These are custom made for your setup.His email is danpen1@live.com

Last edited by Tidnab; 12-14-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added email
Tidnab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:04 AM
  #30  
Hydro Junkie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 7,329
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Tidnab View Post


If you want to build one like the real ones with the engine mounted in the rear, you would need a V drive .A guy who's screen name is 2speed on Model Gas Boats MGB Home and maybe other forums makes V drive gearboxes to use with either electric,nitro or gasoline engines. These are custom made for your setup.His email is danpen1@live.com
The only issue with using a "V" drive is that, depending on the rules you race under, it's illegal to use any kind of gear drive. I know they use gear drives in Europe and, due to that, actually manufacture engines with a gear drives. In the US, however, I don't know of anyplace that run a gear drive set up
Hydro Junkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:20 AM
  #31  
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)
 
Tidnab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clearfield, PA
Posts: 1,052
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default


Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
The only issue with using a "V" drive is that, depending on the rules you race under, it's illegal to use any kind of gear drive. I know they use gear drives in Europe and, due to that, actually manufacture engines with a gear drives. In the US, however, I don't know of anyplace that run a gear drive set up
I thought that if you're building something to scale the V drive in front of the rear mounted engine would be allowed as in the rear engine drag boats ,especially the flatbottoms. Of course if you're not going to race it ,you can build it the way you want.I used to be a member of R/C Dragboats and have seen mentioned about a W drive,but don't think I ever saw a pic of one.
I've always wanted to get a Dumas 36" SK Daddle kit and trace the parts before I put it together and get the parts sheet enlarged to a nice size to fit a Zenoah 26 with one of his gear boxes. The 36" I'd get a 1/6 scale dragster engine and get an electric motor inside it with a gearbox. There was a guy on one of the forums who make them with electric water cooled motors in them.Hyperformance has the V drives also and aluminum tanks Aluminum Fuel Tanks
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5&&FORM=VRDGAR

Last edited by Tidnab; 12-15-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Tidnab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:58 AM
  #32  
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)
 
Tidnab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clearfield, PA
Posts: 1,052
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

If you're going to use a clutch on a nitro boat for idling or short stops you should have a water pump.I had a Dumas Scarab 38 KV with an OS 77 VRM in it and the guy who built it put what looked like a windshield washer pump powered by a small battery. It was setup with a switch next to the throttle servo that the pump operated when going slow as this engine had no clutch and when you accelerated the servo arm shut off the pump and water was supplied by the water pickup on the hull.It also acted as a pump to remove water from the hull while the pump was operating. I never used the setup myself.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2007Christmaboatmotor017.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	2263029   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007Christmaboatmotor019.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	2263030   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007Christmaboatmotor020.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	2263031  
Tidnab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:04 AM
  #33  
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)
 
Tidnab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clearfield, PA
Posts: 1,052
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Since the poster hasn't been on since 2016 this info may help someone else with the same question.I sent him a PM hoping RC Universe would contact him through an email.
Tidnab is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service