Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:52 AM
1badmaro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

How much of a power increase can I expect by changing to a Macs tuned pipe over the stock pipe? Also is there any other pipes out there that you guys would recommend?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 AM
rcguy1411

not shure how mich you will gain over the stock pipe but one of the best things you can do is to open up the header (port match) the engine will breath alot better along with a Mac pipe you should see a marked increase in performance there is also a carberator change in here somewhere that is said to really suposed to wake this engine up
Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 AM
1badmaro

The port match is already done and the carb is on back order. I just wanted to know if its worth spending the 36$ for the macs pipe? Thanks for the response though.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:36 PM
1badmaro

I opted for the Aeromarine rudder upgrade instead of the SV rudder. And now that I had a chance to run the boat with the new rudder it was worth the $ http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...ctID=AER1310TC
Old 06-20-2010, 05:05 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: 1badmaro

I opted for the Aeromarine rudder upgrade instead of the SV rudder. And now that I had a chance to run the boat with the new rudder it was worth the $ http://www.funrcboats.com/ProductInf...ctID=AER1310TC

i don't see any difference from stock rudder. i don't get what's the aeromarine talking about for the rudder description..do you have picture?

ww
Old 06-20-2010, 11:47 PM
Serpents Den

I was checking a few sites for pictures of that rudder as well, from what i gather tho, its similar to the 'old' rudder, or the .21 aeromarine system...only real difference performance wise i would guess is the balance / turning point of the rudder, instead of being in the middle like the stock one, it'll be at or near the leading edge...

I too have aquired just recently a TC31 and cant wait to start working on it...this will be my first boat to work on. i have almost 2 dozen planes, a dozen heli's, and a few cars in my collection atm, each type i also run both nitro and electrics.... i was actually looking at the speedmaster dual water inlet rudder gear and aeromaster machined strut for replacing the stock ones, i just havent decided on the length of the rudder bracket yet. i figure it will help with the hooking issue having a bit more length to it, but not sure which length i will try. the hull and canopy will both get overhauled and new facelift.....fuelproofing and strengthening in key areas....locks on front edge of cowl, autobailers....better venting in back of cowl, screen in front vents...new paint.. i plan to run the .32 stock for a while ( after i rip it down and go over it, rebuild if i have to..)move the pressure nippleoff the header,replace exhaust coupler and add cooling tubing of course, grease and adjust tigerdrive gears, once motor is broken / rebroken in, that'll get swapped out for a pull starter... less gear to carry around. i may try all the engine mods everyone has listed all thru this thread at a later date, i do like speed, but for me its all about having fun. i just have to kick my brother's butt to get his aquacraft 1:12 Miss Vegas going so we can run together, just like we do with our heli's or planes...more fun when there's more peeps than doing it alone in my opinion..... hell, who knows.... it might spur me to pick up another boat or 2....or 3........or more hehehe...

oh yea.... i also have a plan for an electric powered'rescue' boat as well..... will be soo much easier than using a fishing rod, swimming or paddling out if there's a flameout or mishap of some kind on the water...
Old 06-21-2010, 07:36 AM
rcguy1411

welcome to the world of boats Serpents Den sounds like you have a good plan of atack for your first boat the TC31 is a blast to run i find its the boat i grab when iwant to get on the water when i don t have alot of time i only saw one thing with your plan PLEASE DON T SWIM FOR YOUR BOAT as we have lost too many people to this in the past if you must swim please use a PFD
Old 06-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Serpents Den

hehehe....trust me, i wont be swimming for the boat   and im a padi certified scuba diver too........the bottom of my last post, i mentioned to have plans making a 'rescue' boat to recover it for me
Old 06-21-2010, 04:17 PM
rcguy1411

the only reason i mentioned the DON T SWIM FOR YOUR BOAT is that a father and son were lost this year and several other s in the past
Old 06-21-2010, 06:16 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: Serpents Den

......the bottom of my last post, i mentioned to have plans making a 'rescue' boat to recover it for me

nah! u don't need rescue boat, u have lot's of heli then build one as a rescue heli that will be awesome! watya think?[sm=49_49.gif]

post ur tc31 once upgrade is done,,,sound really cool..

ww
Old 06-21-2010, 06:50 PM
nothinbetr2do

ORIGINAL: wave waker

ORIGINAL: 1badmaro

i don't see any difference from stock rudder. i don't get what's the aeromarine talking about for the rudder description..do you have picture?

ww
to me they kinda look like a stock rudder, with alittle mod to it. a properly modded stock rudder would have the materail cut back to the the shaft, with no material in front of the shaft. with a razor edge running down from the start of the shaft. if you look back in this thread you'll fing my postings. that i got the knowing how to from guys in this thread, like wave and others that have tested this boat for us
Old 06-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Serpents Den

*agreed, quite a bit better than the stock rudder....ive read this forum thread front to back and appreciate and learned a bit from all the posters here let alonea few other sites i readthroughbefore deciding to get this boat... with experience in rc planes and racing cars ya gotta worry about the drag as much as you do boats. to me i think it would be better going for a different rudder though, breakaway bolt design with a narrower tapered design, and having the water input rudder seems to be more appealing than the non one using a metal tube water pickup somewhere else mounted on the boat, which would cause more drag...as for the length, it can always be cut down w/o having to worry if you are too close to the water pickup...plenty of room for this application. hence the reason im opting for the speedmaster setup for mine....
Old 06-25-2010, 05:31 PM
rcguy1411

well it finaly hapened tiger drive failed but not what you would expect the wand was toast top my surprise but seing i had a 12 volt starter and belt on hand im now going to use that was a way to wreck a day at the lake i had everything to change over at the lake wich was like glass dosent happen verry often where i run then realised that i left the 12 volt starter at home to free up some weight in my field box
Old 06-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Serpents Den

hehe ive been there with my Hirobo ZXX when i first started in Heli's....used to have a pull starter on engine, also brought a couple of planes out with me at same time and had my sullivan starter always available (had starter shaft for hirobo just in case pull start failed)  and one day forgot to bring the starter shaft because i had helped a friend out with his hirobo one day, then brought out mine to do some flying and the pull starter broke....

anyhow, im waiting for a few parts ive ordered for upgrades to my TC31...(pullstart, autobailers, cowl locks, etc) just got my Spektrum marine reciever in, way different from the other recievers i use in my cars.  antennas are quite long, one gets inserted up antenna tube like the fm or am radio's...other mounted inside fuse above water line...  well built and looking forward to seeing how well it does or doesnt work with this project...also waiting for extra water outlet from my local hobby shop, once those parts are in i can get the extra mounting stuff drilled and etc then start prepping hull and cowl for paint...hopefully by the time the paint job is finished, the speedmaster parts will be in and i can start reassembling the 'new' girl
Old 06-27-2010, 12:51 AM
rcguy1411

grabbed a new wand and also have a belt installed on my boat so i should nt have any more problems with starting problems justy an extra couple of pounds to haul to the lake
Old 06-27-2010, 07:00 AM
amax

loosen your glow plug when starting, it will save your tiger drive or pull starts and your Rod.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:11 PM
loosenut510

anyone know where to get the pull start to replace the tiger drive? i dont like having to keep the starter charged up and carry it too. i  would rather just pull the rope
Old 07-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Serpents Den

yea, i ordered mine right from Horizon hobby, the Dynamite 32m version is direct fit... part # DYN6480
Old 07-10-2010, 08:34 PM
1badmaro

What are you guys using for a replacement exhaust coupler on the TC31?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:40 PM
rcguy1411

im using the ones from venom for there 1/8 scale trucks as they are alot thicker have had the same one on for the last two years and hs held up great
Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 AM
1badmaro

Is this what you are talking about? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...3&I=LXRHR9&P=K
Old 07-11-2010, 10:43 AM
rcguy1411

this is the one im using [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRHR3&P=SM[/link]
Old 07-11-2010, 12:22 PM
sushi2me

Gee, isn't that purple pretty? Just kidding - it's good to know where to get various parts and Venom DOES make quality parts AND vehicles - wish I could afford their 34" brushless catamaran or the bigger dual-motored one even or the biggest zenoah-powered gas one - just beautiful boats! I'm just more into electric now - grab a couple or four batteries, maybe a DC charger, and go! I don't have that kind of money to throw around right now/anymore (disabled and retired) and I think I have enough Fast Electric (mini/micros and Slow Electric and Nitro and Gas) boats, let alone electric planes and nitro monster and stadium trucks! More than enough to keep anyone busy maintaining, modifying, OR building new planes (10 in the boxes waiting to be built? - I think I've lost it, either that or I should open one of those lhs's: local hobby shop!).

BUT - we all feel the need for speed and a lot of us like the nitro noise!

Good Boating, Everyone - now's the season.

Couldn't help myself with adding a picture of two of the King of Shaves - they did an incredible job for just getting into boats, you've got to admit it!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48335.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	1466206  
Attached Images   
Old 07-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Serpents Den

Hmm...right now in the middle of priming my TC hull, plans for a neon green/black color scheme, with some gold pinstripes on edges of the black....the plan is for the sponsons and cockpit 'bubble' areas to be green, rest black....trying to figure out how im going to implement a 'snake skin' type effect inside the green paint on the sponsons....
Old 07-11-2010, 04:58 PM
rcguy1411

the purple was the only thing i could get localy at the time there seemsed to be a shortage on exhaust couplers when i needed mine and the purple ment eather sitting on the dock or running and they have turned out to be the best ones i ve ever gotten and have lasted alot longer than the stock ones and ill run anything that will get me on the water regardless of the colour

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.