Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Old 11-20-2010, 04:18 PM
carwen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

yes, it was a brand new one. And i think i did not make myself clear. The carb didnt like drop off, the black thing that the servo connects to came off letting all oxygen go in or basically, full throttle or even more than that. the boat has been sitting at hobby shop for a year or so but looks like in good condition. Hobby shop guy tuned it and make sure it was rtr.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 AM
siberianhusky

LOL I wish I had a more than full throttle setting on mine! The carb should be able to open wide up, none of the hole in the throttle valve should be hidden by the carb body.
I also wouldn't trust anything a hobby shop guy says unless he is a boater. Remember he is trying to sell stuff and may have no boat experience, half the shops I've been into have some kid working behind the counter who run cars and thats about it.
Boats, especially nitro aren't that popular anymore.
The fuel in the bottom of the boat could have spit back out of the carb if you were running rich and at part throttle for an extended time. there is also a bit of leakage around the front bearing, thats how it gets lubed. SHouldn't be much though.
2 stoke engine are not designed to run at part throttle settings, you are better off running a bit rich at WOT than lugging at a low rpm.
The engine wouldn't have flooded at WOT.
I seriously think you guys need some help, sounds like you don't really know how to tune an engine or much about engine theory.
Sometimes these things can be hard to dial in for somebody with experience, not really knowing how an engine works or what the parts are is going to make it pretty frustrating for you and hard to give good advise.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with looking for someone to help in your area, none of us knew anything about rc boats when we started out, I found the local club and got lots of help from the experienced guys, cut the learning curve and got my first boat running fast and right, damn guys got me hooked for life, that was about 25 years ago!
You're near Toronto, look for the Metro Marine Modelers on line, they are mostly electric but some of them probably still run nitro and would be glad to help you out.
What hobby shop are you dealing with? I've been to most of the bigger ones in the GTA and have yet to find a nitro boater working at one. Most don't even stock boat supplies, just a few RTR boats and no replacement parts.
Next spring if you want to make a drive to Peterborough we have a couple of great places to run and would be glad to give you a hand. I'm all packed up for the winter, too cold now to get the boats running right without some cold weather fixes.
Cheers
Old 11-24-2010, 05:25 PM
carwen

your right, i have completely no experience with nitro boats and yes, nitro boats are not popular. Rc boats tend to be the rarest type.
Thank you for the help, i will look into it.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Serpents Den

thats ok bud...there's plenty of peeps in here, and some that are not too far from you...most are willing to help a person out...we've all been there too, starting out, not knowing...but that's in any aspect of all RC hobbies...there is a learning curve...the more you do pick up, the easier it gets..and there'll always be something else to learn...you are right, rc boating isnt as popular, but it is, no less fun than the others...................i do fly RC helicopters (my personal favorite) and planes, both which i have quite a few of....  i drive rc cars as well, and own 5 boats, the TC31 is one of em and a TSB supercat is next for my project boat list.......i own nitro's  and electrics for each type.......
Old 12-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Owen18

Alright guys I haven't posted on this forum in a while but I finally got to test out my stock thundercat with my new Octura M445 prop. Now Almost everyone here recommended that prop and said it would be fine for the stock engine. I tested it out the other day, I was not able to do any adjustments to the trim but it was still a major problem. The boat rev's plenty high outside the water but when in the water the boat bogged down and doesn't make even half the top speed or power out of the hole as my stock prop. I bought the prop from the site many of you recommend( Off Shore Electrics) and I bought the Sharpened and Balanced version of the Octura M445. Is my problem just that my engine cannot handle this prop or what? Thanks for all the input and advice.

Thanks,Owen
Old 12-31-2010, 05:32 PM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

the first thing you might try is to raise your strut. what % nitro are you using?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Owen18

Alright like I said I couldn't do any adjustment there but I dont think its that because dosent trim just boost your performance in little bits. Mine was so bad that at full throttle it only went like 5-10 mph instead of around 30mph. I am running 20% nitro and my boat has never had a problem before this. (like Never).

Thanks, Owen
Old 01-01-2011, 05:57 AM
res3567

I am were you are at with my Miss Vegas; got a bigger prop and it aint running like it did with the stock prop. I am going to try a higher nitro fuel (50% vs. 30%)to see if that helps any combined with adjusting my strut. Cooler weather is also causing my boat to run poorly so I am going to have to adjust the engine as well including going with a colder plug. Plan on doing all this tommorow so stay tuned.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:40 AM
res3567

Ok....ran her yesterdayand once again she aint going that fast....even with the higher nitro. Putthe stock metalUPGRADE prop on her and she screamin, and the boat is moving fast again.I need to mod my engine withless restrictveexhuast before she can spinthe bigger prop IMHO.She is capableof spinning the prop, just not in stockform.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Owen18

That is good that it ran well again. I haven't had a chance to run mine with the stock prop again but I am sure its the problem. I am just angry because for me in Canada that prop cost me a lot to ship it here. Then it ended up being the wrong prop so I had to send it back, then it took about 1 month to send the right one, and then the right one made my boat run like crap.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 AM
amax

ORIGINAL: Owen18

That is good that it ran well again. I haven't had a chance to run mine with the stock prop again but I am sure its the problem. I am just angry because for me in Canada that prop cost me a lot to ship it here. Then it ended up being the wrong prop so I had to send it back, then it took about 1 month to send the right one, and then the right one made my boat run like crap.
With any changes made to set up you will need to change the needle settings, also your needle setting will change with Air Temp changes.
Have you removed any Shims from under the head??
Is the engine broke in yet??
Old 01-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Owen18

Ya my boat if far over broken in and no the head shims are still in place. I also was running like I said on Christmas eve so it was cold.

Thanks,Owen
Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 PM
res3567

Wait until it warms a lil and try again.....
Old 02-04-2011, 09:15 AM
5bbasher
My Feedback: (3)

hey guys,  i need a new carb on my dynamite .32.  is it best to just by the DYN6459 stock carb or upgrade to a bigger one? if i upgrade which one is the best for the tc31?

Old 02-04-2011, 05:10 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: sippirat

hey guys, i need a new carb on my dynamite .32. is it best to just by the DYN6459 stock carb or upgrade to a bigger one? if i upgrade which one is the best for the tc31?

i have a goodluck on stock carb, can't say about the others...

ww
Old 02-04-2011, 06:26 PM
rcguy1411

think a few guy have run a carb made by thunder tiger try a search iw wa suposed to really wake the .32 up think it wa mentioned on page 30-40 but has been a while since we were back there
Old 02-05-2011, 09:32 AM
black talon

i ran a 45 tt carb on mine and got worse performance out of it. it wasn't as sharp as the oem carb.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Serpents Den

there's also a gent called  asmund a ways back in this thread that used an ASP .91 aero carb and worked great....but most that replied in the thread for carb replacement used a Supre Tiger carb from tower hobbies, were posted early on, boosting their boats a few mph over stock
Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 AM
5bbasher
My Feedback: (3)

thanks guys!  yeah i searched before i posted my question and the tiger seemed to be it. but it was so long ago i thought maybe something better was out there.

is the tiger carb a direct replacement or does it require any mods to work?

id still like to hear more on this from someone with 1st hand experience. but as for now i am leaning towards the stock carb.

i know most consider this boat to be old and have moved but i think its a great little package especially now that i've got her dialed in!  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 AM
black talon

the thunder tiger carb i tried on mine didn't work as well. all it did is provide more fuel flow but then i had to lean it back to get it to run. i just sold it. the original carb is much crisper than that one.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Phazewun

lets bump this thread !! i would love to see what motors you guys are swaping 2
Old 04-19-2011, 04:52 PM
erolos

hi to all.i bought tc31 last year and used it stock form about 1 gallon.i m using %20 byron fuels and prather 220 prop.then i wanted to put some slight modifications on my cat.firstly i removed head shim then balanced&sharpened&polished the prop and finally changed the pipe because stock one was too noisy.i bought .21 purple pipe from www.justengines.com. because i saw it from this tc31 thread.last weekend i wanted to try my boat but something went wrong i think?formerly with stock pipe i used 2 1/4(2.25) High Speed Needle settings but when i passed new pipe it drop to 1 1/8(1.15).i dont know if its normal or not?was it from new pipe or what else?i checked engine temperature after each run and that was ok but pipe and header were too hot.now i have m445 prop and %30 byron fuel in my hand but what can i do with new leaner HSN position?if its normal i will use new prop and fuel on my boat.can anyone say something for me about this?thanks.    ps:sorry about my english but i think its ok for understanding my problem!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:16 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: erolos

hi to all.i bought tc31 last year and used it stock form about 1 gallon.i m using %20 byron fuels and prather 220 prop.then i wanted to put some slight modifications on my cat.firstly i removed head shim then balanced&sharpened&polished the prop and finally changed the pipe because stock one was too noisy.i bought .21 purple pipe from www.justengines.com. because i saw it from this tc31 thread.last weekend i wanted to try my boat but something went wrong i think?formerly with stock pipe i used 2 1/4(2.25) High Speed Needle settings but when i passed new pipe it drop to 1 1/8(1.15).i dont know if its normal or not?was it from new pipe or what else?i checked engine temperature after each run and that was ok but pipe and header were too hot.now i have m445 prop and %30 byron fuel in my hand but what can i do with new leaner HSN position?if its normal i will use new prop and fuel on my boat.can anyone say something for me about this?thanks. ps:sorry about my english but i think its ok for understanding my problem!
if the pipe manufacturer recommended an engine range like from .21 to .32 then probably it's fine, as far as i can remember my HSN set below 2 turns..let us know how this thing works for you.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The higher the percentage of nitro, the richer the carb will have to be set. The heat could be from a lean condition.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:54 AM
erolos

firstly i want to correct my mistake.http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalo...ipes.html.this is the right address where i bought my new pipe.in this page "20 purple pipe" is mine and only explanation about pipe is "For 21 Engines (use on 37 & 38 for high rpm use)".on the other hand my aim to bought this pipe was reduce engine noise and yes its sound like brushless now.i think when i use %30 nitro fuel and m445 prop combination then older one(%20 nitro fuel&220 prop) it gives me a richer HSN set(i dont know how but i hope at least step up to 1-1/2 (1.50) or more) and maybe i solve header&pipe heat problem with that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.