Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 AM
rageman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

ORIGINAL: black talon

if your cable grabs the teflon it will rip your driveline out, and the bigger the prop you run the more apt it is to happen. i'll post this as a question on here.
Exactly what is the procedure/tricks you use to insert a brass tube liner into the TC flex shaft tube with out damaging it.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 AM
black talon
My Feedback: (5)

i just push it in. the bends are slight enough that it's not that hard.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Caliban

if your cable grabs the teflon it will rip your driveline out, and the bigger the prop you run the more apt it is to happen. i'll post this as a question on here.
black talon:

I am new to all this. Yesterday, I was in the hands of two very, very qualified, knowledgeable, experienced guys. So, I simply followed their advice. I'll give this a shot, and see how it goes.

The rest of the story is that I am not a "mechanical neophyte." As I closely examine the individual threads, which compose the Hughey flex-drive, they are far more substantial, and appear to be a bit more rounded off. So, it is hard to imagine them grabbing anything, let alone Teflon lubricated with copious amounts of grease.

I obviously am open to, and willing to spend time and money to get it right. If this new installation fails, I'll try something else. Although not yet raining, the weather is looking a teensy grim just now. So, I may not get to the lake today, as much as I want to field-test this set-up.

Caliban
Old 04-07-2009, 10:00 AM
rageman

i just push it in. the bends are slight enough that it's not that hard.

Thanks.

Have you ever had to remove the brass sleeve? If so how was it done or if not how would you try to remove it?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:55 AM
solo2004

have not got a gadget to tell speed but you can see os is quicker on the water i think my mfa engine has just got the edge on dynamite
Old 04-07-2009, 02:16 PM
black talon

i have started a thread (teflon or brass) read the replys their good.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:58 AM
Caliban

I have started a thread (teflon or brass) read the replys they're good.
Hello, black talon:

I just read those replies. Hmmmmm, interesting. I'll see what my "Gurus" have to say about all this. No matter what they say, I'll probably give it a shot, but that means another schlep down to San Carlos, CA, a 56 mile round-trip.

Caliban
Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Caliban

Hello, black talon (and/or, anybody else "out there" who has informatiion):

Okay, I am trying to "get my arms around" something; trying to understand something.

I don't own a super-duper, super-accurate Vernier caliper (and I have the odd feeling there is one in my near future), but I am trying to understand something.

Also, I am at a bit of a disatvantage at the moment, because I don't have any of this stuff in my hands just now. It is all a few blocks away in my rented garage. (As best I can, I'll take some measurements later today, and edit this post.)

The TC31 is (for the most part) a metric boat, right?

So, working from inside - out:

What is the O.D. of the OEM ProBoat flex-dirve? Is it a metric item, or, an S.A.E. item?
(I know the OEM ProBoat prop nut is 6mm X 1.0 pitch.)

What is the I.D. of the OEM ProBoat Teflon tube? Is it a metric item, or, an S.A.E. item?

What is the O.D. of the OEM ProBoat Teflon liner? Is it a metric item, or, an S.A.E. item?

What is the I.D. of the OEM ProBoat stuffing tube? Is it a metric item, or, an S.A.E. item?

There are a lot of reasons for my asking this, not the least of which is that if ANYONE is going to replace the OEM ProBoat Teflon liner with brass tubing - and both the OEM Teflon liner and the stuffing tube ARE metric - where the Hell is ANYONE going to locate metric brass tubing?

Also, when I ran the TC31 yesterday - with "generic" Teflon liner (purchased from the Hobby Shop South of here) and the Hughey flex-drive, which is 3/16" (.187 in), the boat was taking-on quite a bit of water. Last night I sealed-off the "gap" between the I.D. of the stuffing tube and the O.D. of the generic Teflon liner. I won't know until tomorrow if this little modification is gonna work.

As I said, I'll be in my garage in a short while, I'll take some measurments, and edit this post with that information. In the meantime, however, I wanted to see what "you guys" know about this.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Well, I figured-out some of this. Horizon actually went so far as to send me a replacement stuffing tube, just so I could get the proper length Teflon liner. The O.D. of the "generic" Teflon liner vs. the ProBoat is the same. However, the walls of the ProBoat liner are more thick in their product. Hence, the I.D. is smaller. So, the boat stopped taking-on water using the ProBoat Teflon liner.

Caliban
Old 04-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Caliban

Hello, Everyone:

Another question - (sorry, Guys):

I've poked-around in this thread a bit, and have SOME understanding, but want to clarify my understanding herein, now.

My basic question is whether or not it is "okay" to seal-off those large air-induction holes in the TC31 cowl/canopy. Yes, I know there is discussion regarding the relative disparity in the size of the air-induction holes vs. the much smaller vent-holes at the rear of the cowl/canopy.

I'm just trying to figure out if the carb will get enough air-flow if those larger holes are simply sealed-off. (Seems to me that it would not be an issue.)

And, in a closely-related question, does anybody know what kind of plastic is used when the cowl is manufactured? I don't think it is ABS (too bad, because I am "Mr. ABS repair")).

Thanks in advance,

Caliban
Old 04-08-2009, 01:15 PM
solo2004

hi i covered 3/4 of the front vents up and opened the back holes up the lid is abs hope this helps
Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Caliban

ORIGINAL: solo2004

hi i covered 3/4 of the front vents up and opened the back holes up the lid is abs hope this helps
Hello, solo2004:

It IS ABS! Great! That gives me lots-o-options, because I have sooooo much ABS repair stuff.

So, basically, I'm gonna figure-out a way to do what you have just described.

Yes, indeed, very helpful.

Caliban
Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
wave waker

ORIGINAL: Caliban

Hello, Everyone:

I've poked-around in this thread a bit, and have SOME understanding, but want to clarify my understanding herein, now.

My basic question is whether or not it is "okay" to seal-off those large air-induction holes in the TC31 cowl/canopy. Yes, I know there is discussion regarding the relative disparity in the size of the air-induction holes vs. the much smaller vent-holes at the rear of the cowl/canopy.

I'm just trying to figure out if the carb will get enough air-flow if those larger holes are simply sealed-off. (Seems to me that it would not be an issue.)

And, in a closely-related question, does anybody know what kind of plastic is used when the cowl is manufactured? I don't think it is ABS (too bad, because I am "Mr. ABS repair")).

Thanks in advance,

Caliban

i prefer keep it open, put scoop above the carb, open up the rear vent,,,,,more cooler air flowing inside is better than less,,,i think it's an ABS.....imo.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:18 PM
black talon

i would not plug up the vents, their there for a reason. just add some exit vents in the rear. i put some grass catcher bag mat'l over the holes to keep out water. the tubing i use is .250 OD and approx. .050 wall thickness. i thought putting up a thread might help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95389.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1176019  
Old 04-08-2009, 09:24 PM
PCnmbr2

The stock allen screws that hold the box on are alittle to long and bottom out on the stringrs below check for marks, easy fix just add a few flat washers as needed.On mine I used 1/4 plexeglass and coutersunk the allen heads so I could use stock screws. Allso put very small o-rings on the end of rubber boots to throttel and rutter.Also I glued fuel line on top ad botom of anttena.

Name:	Vt58645.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1176077  
Old 04-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Caliban

ORIGINAL: wave waker

ORIGINAL: Caliban

Hello, Everyone:

Thanks in advance,

Caliban

i prefer keep it open, put scoop above the carb, open up the rear vent,,,,,more cooler air flowing inside is better than less,,,i think it's an ABS.....imo.
Hello, wave waker:

Well, the consensus is that it is ABS; that is great news, as far as I am concerned. I was going to work on this today, but ran out of time. I'll do some mods on it, however.

Thanks for the info,

Caliban
Old 04-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Caliban

i would not plug up the vents, their there for a reason. just add some exit vents in the rear. i put some grass catcher bag mat'l over the holes to keep out water. the tubing i use is .250 OD and approx. .050 wall thickness. i thought putting up a thread might help.
Hello, black talon:

Nice job! I didn't have time to work on this little project today. I was getting ready for the lake tomorrow. I'll figure-out something like you have done.

Caliban
Old 04-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Caliban

ORIGINAL: PCnmbr2

The stock allen screws that hold the box on are alittle to long and bottom out on the stringrs below check for marks, easy fix just add a few flat washers as needed.On mine I used 1/4 plexeglass and coutersunk the allen heads so I could use stock screws. Allso put very small o-rings on the end of rubber boots to throttel and rutter.Also I glued fuel line on top ad botom of anttena.
Hello, PCnmbr2:

That looks like it works rather well; good stuff.

I ordered a new OEM radio box, just so I could work on it and still have the boat running. I have an idea or two. I'll try to get decent pics and show you all what I've done. I have a unique ability to make a larger project out of something than need be - genetic, I think; my Dad was a bit like that.

Caliban
Old 04-09-2009, 12:56 AM
SinCityInc.

Blocking the air intakes is something I considered early on but I wanted air in and water out. These covers I put on are from the back of an old piece of electronics...just cut em to fit and epoxy em in, it will help keep the water from splashing in. I get plenty of air through the cutout in the rear of my canopy which was removed to fit a custom carbon fiber pipe from yet another motor that was going in it ( a CMB 45). Will put up some pics of my TC31 and all the mods (including the Novarossi motor that we put in her) in the next few days...

Name:	Xv63678.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1176261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw70846.jpg
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1176262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73750.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1176263  
Old 04-09-2009, 09:34 AM
rageman

CALIBAN,

RE: What is the O.D. of the OEM ProBoat flex-dirve?: AT THE FEX SHAFT 0.185", AT THE PROP SHAFT 0.086"

THE '7/16' AEROMARINE SHAFT O.D. IS 0.185"AT THE FEX SHAFT, 0.088"AT THE PROP SHAFT.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 AM
SinCityInc.

What up everybody?....been awhile since I was in here but I see there has been alot of activity on this thread so I thought I might share with you some of the mods we have done on this bad little girl. I hooked up with another member from this site, BB Mods ( we are both here in Vegas) and does this guy know his s**t. About the only thing left oem on this cat is the hull and some simple hardware. The Dynamite engine was scrapped after just one run at the pond and a CMB 45 purplehead was going to be the replacement but after some serious deliberations, we ended up sticking a Ninja Mario Rossi .21 in her and does she ever get up and scream! Everything from the radiobox to the fuel tanks has been replaced and a rudder that is better suited for the TC31 has been put on (the factory rudder is better as an anchor than a steering device). Haven't put a GPS on her yet so not sure just what kinda speeds we will be getting. This thread and those who know about nitro have been instrumental in making this happen...dont be afraid to hook up with these players in here, thank you again to BB Mods for teaching me the basics and then some. Pictures are better than words for the purpose of seeing what has been done sooooooo, here ya go

Name:	If10632.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1176544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52990.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1176545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56429.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1176546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67570.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1176547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24204.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1176548  
Old 04-09-2009, 10:42 AM
SinCityInc.

Some more photos.....enjoy

Name:	Xu62396.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1176549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19763.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1176550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95700.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1176551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84094.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1176552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju13739.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1176553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wm84347.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1176554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs29315.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1176555  
Old 04-09-2009, 12:49 PM
rageman

SinCityInc.,

Is that fiberglass reinforcement in the hull floor midsection?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:55 PM
SinCityInc.

Carbon fiber was used in the center under the motor to strengthen the weak tunnel hull bottom...prone to twisting and cracking from beatin it on the water, not to mention the occasional flips & barrel rolls it like to pull.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:35 PM
rageman

ORIGINAL: SinCityInc.

Carbon fiber was used in the center under the motor to strengthen the weak tunnel hull bottom...prone to twisting and cracking from beatin it on the water, not to mention the occasional flips & barrel rolls it like to pull.
The fiber mat looks white, not black as I thought carbon fiber would look. Is the Carbon fiber mat white?
Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 AM
Caliban

ORIGINAL: rageman

CALIBAN,

RE: What is the O.D. of the OEM ProBoat flex-dirve?: AT THE FEX SHAFT 0.185", AT THE PROP SHAFT 0.086"

THE '7/16' AEROMARINE SHAFT O.D. IS 0.185"AT THE FEX SHAFT, 0.088"AT THE PROP SHAFT.
Hello, rageman:

Thank you very much.

I just edited my post asking about all this. Horizon sent me a replacement stuffing tube, which included a Teflon liner of the proper length, just in time for a trip to the lake today. The O.D. of both the "generic" and the ProBoat Teflon liner is the same. However, the I.D. of the ProBoat is smaller, and that stopped the huge amounts of water getting into the boat through the tube.

Caliban

P.S. I've had the lake to myself two times this week, due to rain. The other wussies were afraid to show-up. If I don't come down with pneumonia, I'm ahead of the game. :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.