Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Thunder Cat 31

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Thunder Cat 31

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:48 PM
paulleonard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Cat 31

I'm looking for reviews on the Thunder Cat 31 by pro Boat....
Old 03-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Cat 31

Start off by looking at the Shockwave 36 thread as they share a lot of the same parts. They did get smart and went to a smaller prop but I feel that we're going to see some of the same bugs that has plagued the SW 36. The electric starter is a concern to me also. It is the Sullivan Tiger Drive, something that I had problems galore with on my sons nitro truck.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:51 PM
paulleonard

Thanks Ron...I just purchased this vessel and havent even had a chance to break it in yet...The radio box was loose when I opened the box...Had to epoxy it back in place....Hope its not a bad sign...[]...
Old 03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Ron Olson

Others will be watching this as I know that some have them on order, they'll want to know the good and bad points.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:20 PM
hughbell

bought my thunder cat 2 weeks ago and had the same radio box problem. It looked like it was in place , but shipping to the lhs may have broke it loose. Needle settings were way off, but once sorted out the motor started easily every time. I couldn't get the boat to launch, no matter what i did. Finally frustrated, I removed the prop from my Shockwave and everything went as it should have from the box. LHS said possibly they under propped the boat. Called Horizon Hobby and now they are sending me a new prop from a shockwave. Other than that, boat runs great, looks great and has the potential to be faster than the shockwave. Good luck to everyone else.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:04 AM
paulleonard

Thanks for the input hughbell..I am slating this weekend for the break in so i'll be sure to check the factory needle setting before I Get Started....I will post comments and pics as i progress...I also Purchased the new Spectrum Radio that came with an extra reciever...I've already installed and programmed for two different boats....has anyone had any badexperiences with this radio control Setup..it seems pretty decent loaded with extras..loike built in fail safe etc.....
Old 03-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Ron Olson

Having a bad setting on the needles is nothing new for any RTR boat. They just do a rough setting and because of where you live, the settings will differ because of altitude and weather conditions.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:15 PM
paulleonard

Well guys I couldnt wait so I started break in tonight...started at about 4:00pm and ended at 6:00pm I ran two full tanks through 12oz ea...I'll continue until i've run at least 5 tanks....There are a couple of things id like to share with you...First off..it was a little difficult to get this engine finally started..when I first added fuel I filled the tank a little more than 3/4 and the fuel just kept pooring out of the carb...the carb is located lower than the fuel tank.. then i noticed that the carb was way too loose...the idle screw was almost all the way out...I had to double check everything..good thing I did, there is alot out of wack as far as factory settings (WAY OFF)..Anyway..I replaced the stock antenna with a prather antenna..the stock one was cheap. and definatly not water resistant. Another thing I was not impressed with was the hull drain located below the exhaust...just a gasket with a plug...the plug is extremely loose. I dont trust it..and will prob. replace with an autobailer.. the exhaust coupler is a little overdone (I Think - Ive posted Pics tell me what you think)..The break in was a little ruff,,stalled a coulple of times through out around six or seven...but as far as break in ...it went as expected...all in all a really nice contruction , including the fiberglass radio box..(not ABS)..very clean set up. these pics were taken after my breakin run...enjoy, and I will keep you posted....
Old 03-29-2006, 07:22 PM
wave waker

paul...where's the pic?..how's the tiger drive starter?....i'm just waiting for mine to arrive...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:28 PM
paulleonard

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Old 03-29-2006, 07:31 PM
paulleonard

The tiger drive was ok...no problems(yet) I Installed a tiger drive on my nitro hammer about 4 months ago....I've never had any prob...other than some minor slipping when the gears get wet...but other than that...it's been ok so far...I'm trying to post pics now....
Old 03-29-2006, 07:43 PM
paulleonard

How do i upload images to this post?....I Can Put In my Gallery , but not in a post?
Old 03-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Ron Olson

OK, secret trick so don't tell anybody. Don't scroll down and use the normal reponse area but instead look up in the upper right hand corner right up here ^ and you'll see a "Reply" radio button. See it? OK, hitting that little baby will take you into an advanced screen. In the lower left corner you'll see a place where you can upload pictures.
If you let this out, everybody will be uploading pix!
Old 03-29-2006, 08:28 PM
paulleonard

ok i tried and i get "ther was an error uploading pics"...so i posted them in my gallery..thanks Ron...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Ron Olson

OK, I found them. I see that ProBoat still has their head up their rear yet in a few places, one is the rudder linkage, it really needs to have 4-40 instead of 2-56 rod back there. The goofy throttle linkage is so old school that it isn't funny, they might as well have gone with wheel collars and ink pen springs. When the JR XR-2i has the same street price as the Python, you wonder why they didn't use the better radio system. Maybe they were worried that new boaters might not be able to figure out how to use it. Seriously, the system has 2 setups, an easy one and a more complex setup in the XR-2i. Using the bent wire trick instead of having a radio with EPA doesn't get it any more.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:55 PM
paulleonard

as far as the radio system goes I replaced the stock with the Spectrum.....I guess that is a start.....as far as the throdle cable...the only reason (I thought) was to get better access to the shaft nut with the two open wrenches....do you think i should replace that alonfg with the stearing linkage?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:01 PM
paulleonard

oh...one more thing...The canopy tabs that are supposed to secure it to the hull...really are terrible..one has already broken off...do you have any suggestions on a replacement? ...i was thinking maybe some thin brass strips (Bent the same as the clip) and epoxy to underside of canopy...Thanks again Ron..
Old 03-30-2006, 04:07 PM
330T

while my TC 31 is still waiting for a warm day, i've been thinking of a motor swap.. maybe an OS 32.. or 46??
Old 03-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Ron Olson

I don't know if there would be a big difference between the Dynamite and OS .32's as it's hard to find real solid numbers on the Dynamite as I've given up on manufacturer numbers.
Keep in mind that if you ever want to move up to something more serious that you'll have to do a lot of work as things won't be a simple bolt-in with the exhaust system being a big part of the fun.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:01 PM
hughbell

anybody find a good replacement prop for the thundercat yet? I started using the stock shockwave prop, but the engine seemed like it wasn't getting up to speed quick enough. Went to my lhs and picked up a Graupner carbon prop, part # 2317.45. What a difference in performance, good take off, lots of speed, and a nice rooster tail to make me grin. If anyone knows of something better, post it!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:32 PM
wave waker

got info bout dynamite .32 its hp is 1.18 @28000,,i think it's kinda under power for its own size??
Old 04-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

The OS .32 specs are on tower, they arnt much better at all, about the same, the last place I have seen an OS .32 is in the old jetstream 1000 from kyosho, Id go .46 Or a hot .21, the new OS .21 is moy expensive but puts out 2.5 horses, the RG-M .21 from OS puts out 1.7, may as well put that in for 140 bucks and belt start it, or for 160 you can get the pullstart...the OS .32 is 190 and rated at 1.1 horse, the differences is in torgue, which youd want the .21 which runs 28,000 rpm, as aposed to the 17,000 of the .32, I say RG-M .21 and the right prop and exhaust will make it go nicely, even lighten her up a bit...
Old 04-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Ron Olson

I finally got to see one in person the other day at a LHS. To me, it appeared that the strut was a little high on it, maybe because of the way that it was packed in the box for shipping. Normally, Cat props don't ride that high. You'll find out quickly if you start running into cavitation problems at speed or in the corners.
Like some others have noted, the welding around the header and flange is sloppy but as long as it doesn't leak, no big deal.
The RPM and HP numbers are low as a sport .21 engine can put out that kind of numbers. The carb doesn't help a bit. Can you say "Restrictor plate racing"?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:26 PM
wave waker

hey thundercat31 guys and gals please post what's goin with ur new baby...[]i can't run mine still in the work service due to flooding...
Old 04-21-2006, 03:26 PM
urbansub90

well today if all goes well is goin to be its maiden voyage. so ill let u all know how it is ive already done all the little things sharpened rudder put foam in the hull and sealed everything. greased the shaft it should be good. so well see tlak later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.