Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:52 AM
beaverboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Ultimate Hobbies, 131 E Main in Auburn, stocks quite a bit of marine hardware.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:58 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you guys tell me the best way to get my boat after a flameout or out of gas or things like that? I have heard that you can put some hooks on the front on the boat and use a tennis ball with a fishing pole, does this work good and how does it work? I am new thw the boat hobby just the boats, Or should I just pay the $30 bucks and get a cheap electric boat and set it up to go and get the boat when it dies? Any help would be great, Thanks Eric
Old 12-29-2007, 04:26 PM
malicent

we use a 8ft dingy with and electric motor, the tennis ball works well too unless your way out there, and i dont like using a fishing poll, you can also get a tennis ball tosser at your local pet store, helps for long distance retrivels, think theres a topic about that somewhere in here, just my thoughts
Old 12-29-2007, 04:47 PM
goldendesign04

Giddy,
Ive used the fishing pole method an have to say it works well. Take an el cheapo fishing rod, remove the top half so you use only the short thiker section of pole attach a tennis ball to the line, pull back an let her RIP!! its easy enough if you can cast well but even if you cant one afternoon with a bugger of an engine can make you a pro soon enough
-Wayne
Old 12-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Dan S

Giddy,

next time out, time your self, once you know how long your tank last or how many laps you can make on one tank that way you can bring the boat in before it runs out.

Guy's maybe you can back me up on this one or if I'm out to lunch but running out of fuel all the time is not a good thing as the mixture leans out.

Another thing you can also do is listen to your engine, it will tell you when your starting to be low on fuel.

we use the fishing rod method up too 100 feet out and the john boat for further out.

Dan.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:03 PM
beaverboy

Here's a tennis ball thrower equipped with a casting reel and a ferrule on the ball cup. Recommend a slightly larger reel. This one only holds about 40 yards of 2# line. It can throw the ball a lot further than that. Works well. Just needs more line! I don't use any special snagging devices on the boats.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17133.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	836655  
Old 12-29-2007, 05:55 PM
malicent

thats a sweet idea with the reel on it!! i would have never thought of that lol
Old 12-29-2007, 10:02 PM
giddyuperic

That's cool but I saw some where that you have to have like soem hooks or picture hanger's on the ends of your boat to catch the ball as you drag it over the boat is this true and does any body here use them??? What are they and where do they go on the boat???? Thanks. Eric
Old 12-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

OK. there are probably a hundred threads on this subject, try using the search and they'll appear.
Try the Gas boat forum, there is one going on over there now.
Let's get this thread back on topic please.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:12 AM
rican25

ok this should get back on topic
I am interested in a Hydro but have heard that they only turn well to the right because thats the direction in which they race, why not make a Hydro for those that dont want to race but want a cool looking, fast and agile boat when turning both directions? Is there anything I could do to a Hydro that would allow for equal steering?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:25 AM
f16man

The hydroplane hull is ment for racing , if you want to just flip flop all over the place get a mono hull. Remember also a hydro needs to stay on plane to keep its speed up in the turns as well and thats the reason for the big curved turn fin on the right sponson ,so turning left at speed will flip the boat.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:36 AM
d-lo

for what it's worth, my vegas, with a grim fin, will turn right or left, full throttle, no problem. i also have a proboat miss bud with the grim fin, and it turns either way like it's carving on ice..........

davey
Old 12-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Nickos

The shape of the hull precludes a 'fast and agile' boat that will turn in both directions. The short answer is what is an essentially flat bottomed boat will either, not turn at all without a turn fin on one sponson, or, will flip if turning the wrong way with the turn fin. That is why they go in one direction. As F16 said, if u want to be all over the pond willy nilly, then a mono is your choice. Hydro's are more about going flat out with enough steerage to get u back to where u started from.

And they look WAY cooler!

Nick.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:47 AM
f16man

Thats a new one on me , both my sons have mv's and wile they will turn left they are slipping around and right sponson digging in and left sponson leaving the water, mutch faster and more control turning right.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:15 AM
d-lo

my vegas will turn sharper to the right, for sure. but with my turn fin lined up exactly true to the lines of the boat, with the 36X55 grim prop, 3/4 to 7/8's strut depth, will run full throttle left turn, smooth as it does to the right, no problems at all, just not quite as sharp. makes for a fun ride, pulling hard rights and lefts, figure 8 style, when you want to goof around..................

d
Old 12-30-2007, 11:06 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

The guy "Twisted Liquid" has a clip on YouTube showing full throttle left turns, with no problems at all. I really think it all has to do with how one's turn fin is set up. I'm sure that if you've got a turn fin completely out of whack, there's a good chance one will flip, but you'd probably have to be turning pretty sharp at a fairly high speed. Simply my opinion.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Dan S

ok guy's, I know there is a fair amount of pages on the Vegas thread but all the info you need is in one of those pages.

everything about the hydro setup for turning right is explained in here somewhere, yes its designed to turn right, yes with a good turn fin you can turn left but it will not be the same as turning right.

No you won't be able to setup this sport hydro or any other sport hydro to handle and turn left like it does turning right.

if you are serious about getting the Vegas read all the pages, if its too much for you than this is too much of a boat for you.

If bashing/fooling around on the water is what you want to do than I suggest you get a mono or sv27. make yourself an oval circuit and race it clockwise even if its just for fun, when the day comes that you want to race in a sanction race you will be ready for it.

Dan.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:05 PM
rican25

quick and to the point, thanks Dan. I would like to just get out on the water and have fun but be able to get as fast as I can. So now knowing what I would like to do if the Vegas or Hydros all together arent for me then what boat would you recommend for just an occasional "race" but still want to flat out haul!! thanks in advance
Old 12-30-2007, 09:47 PM
giddyuperic

What is the difference from a grim fin and a turn fin and does any one have a photo of a boat with the grim fin on it??? I think it is so you can turn right and left right?? But can I see one please this is all new to me. Thanks. Eric
Old 12-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Sean Bowf

Grim fin is a turn fin...

Old 12-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The stock fin is more of a straight up and down piece where the Grimracer fin curves inward towards the bottom. The curve helps to grab the water in turns and pull the right sponson down to the water. This works like your cupped hand when swimming.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Dan S

No problem Giddy,

first off a Grim fin is a turn fin, its the name of the designer. There are a other turn fin that can be used on the Vegas made by other company, I like Grim's fin on my Vegas and the others on my Sport 20 Hydro's.

The original Vegas fin (MV Version 1) was straight, it worked ok in the curves and straights but the slight left correction 95% of the time ended up with a boat upside down.

The MV version 2 came out with the same fin as the original but with a modification, the bottom of the fin had been curved in, a major improvement on the original but still the turn fin from Grim was even better.

yes, with the fin designed the way it is you can turn left but not like you can turn right, basically it turns right like its on rails and left like if the rail was wider.

here's a couple of pic's of the blue anodized Grim fin.

Dan.

Name:	Zw69393.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	838034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40471.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	838035  
Old 12-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Sean Bowf

Version 2 MV has a cupped turn fin. From what I gather, it was modeled after the modded one a guy in Wichita (Kelly Miller) runs.

Sean

Name:	If10599.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	838036  
Old 12-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Dan S

Rican25,

Others may have other suggestion and by all means post them if you do.

For flat out plain fun you can go with an SV27 or a Cat.

Dan.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:25 PM
wuhouse
My Feedback: (4)

Apparently, I did the mod. It was quite easy. Using my pocekt mini propane torch, I fired and heated up the end of the old stuffing tube to the point where I can use a pair of plyers and twist the tube out. After that, it was the routine of reassembly using the new tube and a bit of super glue and it was tough as hell.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.