Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 12:37 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

ORIGINAL: needy4speed

heres my solution i think might be fair..if u must conduct races where MV mods have to compete agaist MV stock.. the guys with the mods pay the stock MV racers entree fees...that way since they are most likely going to whip the stock mv butts they should at least pay extra fun they'll have ...Any way i got my third MV yesterday(first 2 had cracks in hull) and it is looking good
One of mine is stock, so works for me.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is off topic but can this be fixed or is the boat hull no good. Any help will do thank you very much. Eric
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45466.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	841311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34161.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	841312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40037.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	841313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50152.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	841314  
Old 01-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: giddyuperic

I know this is off topic but can this be fixed or is the boat hull no good. Any help will do thank you very much. Eric
That's not a MV!!!

Hard to tell with just pics...but one of my kids' boat got a crack in the sponson when it hit another boat in Wichita. I just put some epoxy on the crack and used a tooth pick to make sure it got down into the crack. Probably not an ideal fix...but did not add much, if any, weight to the boat.

As for the rudder, it could probably be straighted, but I would pick up a new one if it was me.

Sean
Old 01-03-2008, 05:50 PM
needy4speed

i would take a mini grider to all the cracks,rough up all around damaged area,then fill with fiber glass an resin..sit over night then sand and paint...or you could sell it on ebay for parts and get a down payment on a new miss vegas
Old 01-03-2008, 06:12 PM
hedach
My Feedback: (2)

anyone have there vegas running in the low 50 mph zone/ i am having stability problems and can use some input to keep the boat flat on the water at speed even with sponson mods done. thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Jerry Dunlap

ORIGINAL: hedach

anyone have there vegas running in the low 50 mph zone/ i am having stability problems and can use some input to keep the boat flat on the water at speed even with sponson mods done. thanks
Low 50s? What engine/what prop?

JD
Old 01-03-2008, 09:04 PM
hedach

hi. i use an os .21 and a x442 prop i modified myself
Old 01-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Dan S

Hedach,

if you don't mind me asking, which OS .21 are you using.

Dan.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:13 PM
giddyuperic

So is the hull okay to fix or should it be replaced????? And how hard is it to fix this kind of problem ??? Should I just use some expoxy or go the whole fiber glass repair??? Here is some better photo's If I am in the wrong place asking about this then please tell me the right place to ask. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42672.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	841636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48756.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	841637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52872.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	841638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44401.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	841639  
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Dan S

Giddy,

2 person have replied to your post telling you that yes it can be fix and have given you a few ideas on what to use and what to do.

And for your second question, sorry to say that yes you are in the wrong place since this thread here is for the Miss Vegas, if you do a search you will find the thread for the proboat line for the llumar and others.

Dan.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Jerry Dunlap

hi. i use an os .21 and a x442 prop i modified myself
Can you be more specific regarding the "stability problems?" Is it blowing over? Bouncing on the sponsons side to side? Bouncing front to back? Not cornering?

JD
Old 01-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Getnoff

Can someone please help me find the Jerry Dunlap cowl "hold downs" that are somewhere in this 100 page thread? Which page is that mod explained on? I am trying to handle the issue of the cowling coming off before it actually happens. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:24 AM
f16man

I belive he went back to the old [kiss] deal keep it simple stupid,he used two servo arms with a screw ,nut and washer, not rocket science but it works.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 AM
gooycheese

ORIGINAL: needy4speed

GUYS,is why i think classess should be equal in performance...if u ever watch nascar all the cars have similair set up with power and handling...cars are tweaked to the drivers style..this keeps the playing field equal..its the driving ability and sheer luck that determines the race...if a few of the cars had an extra 200 hp and beefer tires they could make passess faster and blow by other cars in the straights...which would give them an unfair advantage plus more accidents on the coarse...with boats its the same the faster boats would be passing slow boats at 5-10 mph causing havik on the coarse the slower drivers would just be in there way and boat crashes would be more abundant which might cause the newbies to not even want to race at all...if the playing field can be kept equal where the speeds are all within 2-3 mph and excelleration is basically the same the one who is the victorious is the one that had the best skills or luck on that particular day

Hi all,

I don't respond much in this thread but read this and had to respond. I know alot of people do race there boats , I'm not sure how many race the Miss Vegas but there are a few for sure. I do know in District 4 that the speeds of boats can very by atleast 5mph in just about every class. In our district the Miss Vegas runs in the sport 20 class and runs against the IMPBA record setting sport 20 ( which is just over 60mph )(I have never seen a RTR race). Another example would be B mono we have 1 in our district that is able to run his heat boat at just under 70mph, most B mono would be really lucky to hit 60mph as far as I have understood. Passing slower traffic is part of racing and finishing races is another part, the fastest doesn't always finish neither do the slowest. It would be really nice to race in a class where all the boats are equal to with in 1mph or so but I don't see that as a reality, a simple setup adjustment can change the speed of any given boat at anytime drastically. I don't want to get involved in the issue of a RTR class, I will say if you have a boat and want to race get a IMPBA or NAMBA membership and goto a race ( almost every club I have gone to race at is more than willing to let you run your boat in what ever class it fits in, I would even guess if there was 3 Vegas boats they would have a Vegas class). All the clubs in the district I race in let me run my .12 A Hydro (rigger) in the .21 B Hydro class ( ya wanna see a speed difference (my boat does about 50mph the others are doing 60-70mph). My ultimate point is the politics are sucky, just go and race and try its alot of fun

Paul
Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 AM
needy4speed

f16man, that sounds like a good idea...using servo arms to hold down cowling...where do most guys place them im thinking right in the middle area 1 on each side ...does anyone have a picture...and also do any of you guys tape cowling or is that just a waste of time....i have yet to run my new boat,but it seems to have enough flotation already installed if she fills with water...is this correct or is more flotation needed to prevent sinking? thanks craig
Old 01-04-2008, 08:28 AM
hedach

i use a vzm .21 os engine Dan
Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 AM
hedach

Jerry it will bouce side to side unless i put it into a gradual turn but the worst problem and i do not know if its from the weight i added to keep the nose down is it will flip over when it goes into a turn. Last time i had it out it flipped at least 4 times and not even in a fast turn. Icut the turn fin down to help but who knows if thats the issue.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 AM
hedach

by the way it will go 50-51 on any given day and will hit 53 with good water, gary
Old 01-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Dan S

Gary,

when you say you cut the turn fin down........are you saying that you made the fin shorter?
if thats the case that may very well be part of the problem, with the sponsons mod you need to relocate the fin lower on the back of the sponson, if the fin is now to short there may not be enough fin in the water.

50 to 53 is some pretty good speeds, what did you use to read the speed.

Dan.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
hedach

I use a Garmin gps all the time. I started using it at a boat speed of 31 mph and have just kept moving up. I agree with you on the turn fin but i just assumed it was "hooking' the water to much and if i cut it it would slide more through the turns.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Jerry Dunlap

by the way it will go 50-51 on any given day and will hit 53 with good water, gary
When I deepened the sponsons on the MVs, I also lower the turn fin(a new turn fin mount has to be made to do this). You might need to upgrade to a Sport 20 size turn fin.

You might want to try either a X437/3 or X440/3. They should provide similar speeds w/o the torque.

JD
Old 01-04-2008, 02:53 PM
hedach

tried the 440 and it would only go 45 mph and the engie seemed to work to hard. I dont know what it is about the 442 because i have tried a dozen 'custom" props from R.L.T. <read R.L.T backwards> , Fine design, Andy brown and i just keep coming back to a 442 with tongues removed and balanced by me. I will try a deeper seting for the turn fin and see what happens...Gary
Old 01-05-2008, 08:46 PM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

First off, I'm by no means a boat guru. I've been flying R/C planes for the past 6 years or so, but some buddies of mine decided to try out the boat scene, since we've got water all over Louisiana.
I've recently purchased a MV. I've read this thread pretty much front to back. I like to do my homework before I get out there and make an ass out of myself. Props, strut depth, rear wings on or off, sponson mods, exhaust coupler problems, tanks coming apart..... if it's in here, I've read about it. I'm pretty sure I've taken care of the important stuff. I'll maiden mine tomorrow and keep up with the progress via newly purchased Garmin Geko.
The whole reason my friends and I (probably 8 or so of us) decided to go with this particular boat was because it seemed to be the best bang for the buck straight out of the box. Since we plan on competing against each other, we wanted to keep things simple/cheap so that it will be "competitive". We made the rule of running stock engine and pipe with no mods, but as for the hull itself and the set-up, the sky's the limit. This way, it'll take some thinking, and driving. I'm sure if this whole racing thing pans out, we may go to a MV mod class with different engines and pipes.

Just wanted to chime in. This is one hell of thread!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Russ Williamson

Hi Yard-dart!
Welcome to the world of R/C boating, it is a blast. I like you was an avid flyer, plus a lot of car racing for many, many years. About 5 years ago I got into the boat scene and started going to IMPBA and NAMBA boat races. Man is it fun!!!! The people are the best and the racing is great!
Any questions, don't be shy about asking. Great group of people on the boat forums.

Have fun!
Russ

ORIGINAL: yard-dart

First off, I'm by no means a boat guru. I've been flying R/C planes for the past 6 years or so, but some buddies of mine decided to try out the boat scene, since we've got water all over Louisiana.
I've recently purchased a MV. I've read this thread pretty much front to back. I like to do my homework before I get out there and make an ass out of myself. Props, strut depth, rear wings on or off, sponson mods, exhaust coupler problems, tanks coming apart..... if it's in here, I've read about it. I'm pretty sure I've taken care of the important stuff. I'll maiden mine tomorrow and keep up with the progress via newly purchased Garmin Geko.
The whole reason my friends and I (probably 8 or so of us) decided to go with this particular boat was because it seemed to be the best bang for the buck straight out of the box. Since we plan on competing against each other, we wanted to keep things simple/cheap so that it will be "competitive". We made the rule of running stock engine and pipe with no mods, but as for the hull itself and the set-up, the sky's the limit. This way, it'll take some thinking, and driving. I'm sure if this whole racing thing pans out, we may go to a MV mod class with different engines and pipes.

Just wanted to chime in. This is one hell of thread!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:07 AM
007clint

ORIGINAL: f16man

I belive he went back to the old [kiss] deal keep it simple stupid,he used two servo arms with a screw ,nut and washer, not rocket science but it works.
Here is another 'KISS' solution that works well for my faster Miss Vegas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.