Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:25 AM
DCHASS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

anyone have a missvegas coll for sale
Old 02-08-2008, 02:56 AM
flip3d454
My Feedback: (35)

ok im thinking of getting rid of ole yellow.
os 18 cvrx instaled and broke in.
what is it worth.

flip
Old 02-08-2008, 04:06 PM
hedach
My Feedback: (2)

Old 02-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Jerry Dunlap

ORIGINAL: hedach

Hydro junkie i just came back from the lake. Corrected alot of problems and boat performed perfectly with no wing. Having the wing on would only make it more speratic ....with a slight wind it would react funny........... I think it might be time for a new piston and sleeve, she could be a little tired.I could only muster a 55.00 mph best with a 52-54 average top speed. Did you ever notice that as your piston and sleeve wear out more and more that you have to keep throwing more fuel at it . Im out 2 more turns than usual and i will still burn a plug after a 1/2 tank. Plus it spits fuel all over when its at idle. Time to call Tower Hobbies....again LOL
I removed the wing from my TZ 18 powered MV and thought the boat actually handled better. This boat has been radared at 47 mph. Jeez, if you are burning cone plugs after a 1/2 tank you're spending a bunch of $$$ on those babies!! After you rebuild you're engine, you might want to consider inserting a .005 - .007 head shim.

JD
Old 02-08-2008, 06:29 PM
hedach

I took the shims all out wich is part of the problem but it really wakes up the engine. I will put one back or cut back the nitro 5%. I am really grabbing at all the straws to make this boat go another 4-5 mph but i cant seem to get it..........By the way i just put a new strut on that pushes the prop back 1 inch and it seems a little more stable. The theory is the boat "thinks" its longer so it is more stable.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Dan S

Running 65% Nitro with all the shims removed brings the compression way up, since high nitro needs less compression that may well be one of the reason your engine didn't last.

too much compression with to high of nitro content will result in pre detonation.

Dan.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 PM
hedach

ya but ya gotta looovvve the power !!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Dan S

Well yes, power is good, but pre-detonation does not give more power and its not a good thing.

Dan.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:40 AM
trabich

After 20 years of rc experience it,s actually easy to get the boat up to speed if you want to put the money into it. The major increase in speed came from the dual 6000 mah max amp lipos. with a bit of weight distrabution, a lazer balanced 3 blade prop, and an awesome set up makes it very possible. got to love brushless. But as you know hi speeds are not always what you need.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:43 AM
trabich

oh yeah, those speeds were measured with radar.
(mph) The local cops love comming out to watch. their guns are pretty accurate.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:59 AM
trabich

thanks jd. i cant wait to get it out this year to finally get it going again.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Dan S

Wrong forum for FE.

Dan.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 PM
needy4speed

hi trabich, ihave a sv stock does like 36 mph...what could one do to get a 48-50 mph with out breaking the bank? high sixies i would luv to see what that looked like..why don't you post it on utube...thanks ch
Old 02-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Dan S

This Thread is for the Miss Vegas with a Nitro engine.

Not for the SV 27 or anything electric, nothing against the FE or the SV 27 just that this is not the thread.

I have heard enough of all those claims of 55+ mph with the MV or the SV, until you can come up with some hard fact and proof than keep on dreaming.

I mean come on!

This thread has been on the go for at least 2 years, a lot of people with a lot of knowledge have been working and testing the "Filing Cabinet" out of the Vegas to get Max speed, to go as fast as they can.

Now all of a sudden out of the blue within 2 weeks your reaching speeds of 57mph's, no mod done to the tunnel, no mod done to the sponsons!

I don't think so.....

Again, post a Video.

End of Mission

Dan.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:26 AM
trabich

Someone has a problem! Don't get mad. another year or two and you'll understand how to get there. This fe problem you have was over in two blogs but for some reason you keep crying. move on already.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:31 AM
trabich

We all need to prove to danny s that electric is and can be controlable and fast. (short runs of corse on super smooth waters). You must be in the dark if you think these speeds are not possible. Brushless, Lipo, and weight to power ratios - look up these terms
Old 02-10-2008, 02:32 AM
trabich

no more talk about fe's not everyone has a large pallet
Old 02-10-2008, 08:30 AM
hedach

Old 02-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Dan S

I do believe I have a right to be skeptical.

All the work and mod you have just mentioned would have been nice to know at the beginning, you only said you were running the .21 with 65% Nitro.
Modified crank's and other mod would have been good info to know.

I don't want you to prove to me the work that you have done, but if your Vegas is going as fast as you say it is, myself and everybody else would like to see it.
I mean, I prefer to watch a Hockey game than to listen to it on the radio.

Not everyone can go for a spin to your pond and see your boat go, thats why we use video's, I would prefer to see your video of your modified Vegas on the net than a lot of those boat video's that you and I have watch going 15mph's.

We can help you post a vid if you want.

Dan.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:02 AM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hedach

Wow! Hey Trabich it looks like we can not make up totally "unbelievable" storeys anymore ....WE HAVE BEEN SNAGGED with our fish storeys LOL!!!!!!!!!!This stuff really effects some people i guess. This is my last post since i did not get into this hobby for anyone but myself and dont know how to post a video to prove to "someone else?????" anything about what i do for my own hobby fun. I have been building race engines in cars and have always taken on the naasayers with any fabrication work or money needed to get where i wanted for 20 years. This hobby is no different. The wild claims of 55mph with a 57 best is true. How.... Gallons of fuel testing, countless glow plugs, sometimes 6 in one test session, 3 MV hulls because i modded them and found out something didnt work so the boat was scrapped. Three .18 motors before realizing .21 was the only way to go, six .21 piston and sleeves with all diferrent mods done, "eleven" props moded or stock to find the right one. The present boat is a OS .21 with the piston top and cylinder head Thermal barrier coat so i can run the engine 75 * hotter than normal wich gives "ME" the best performance.I have put three moded cranks as well into it ....4 diferrent pipes sometimes recking them because i tryed cutting them shorter and ruined them when i went to far. Prop is push back 1 inch to make boat "think " its longer for more stability. Engine pushed 1.5 inches forward and the fuel tank as well and move to the left to help keep the sponson planted during the straight line runs.Radio box moved forward aswell . I even atached the GPS in every location to fid the sweet spot it liked.Studied "Hydronamics" of water resistence of boat to figure out what exactly was touching the water to go faster than mormal. This proved to be the ticket for the speed and totaly changed the boat. ....There is many other changes as well that you really cant see unless i point them out.Every single run ever made was GPS documented and written down with every change made. Sometimes four hours at the lake only to go to the shop, epoxy runers to the bottom somewhere else and than back to the lake. My bills for 2007 where 1,900 dollars in parts, hulls , fuel , plugs and fuel........ I call all this " THIS IS HOW I MAKE MY BOAT FAST' And i loved and hated every minute of it !!!! Its a blast !!! Mabe i am a rarity in this forum ...i dont know but thats how i got my boat fast for myself.This site is awsome and very helpfull and i learned a few things as well and thats why i came to it. Good luck to everyone on this site ...its awsome.
Excuse Us =(collectively speaking),but with 20+ years of "experienced modding" and figgering out all about hydrodynamics,you can't figger out how to post a vid..... now THAT really pegs my baloney meter, post a vid. please.....[:-] In response to your P.M. gary....My apologies if you feel slighted,BUT,I neither called you dumb,or a liar....from this your "quoted" post,and the extent of your testing,I neither believe, nor disbelieve, your statements as they,(w/o pics or vids.) are UN-supported,WE ALL would feel MORE comfortable with your claims if they were supported,Please humor us with a final boat configuration along with anything else you feel relevant that would help us achieve what you have done at great time and expense,so's we know it is attainable,and that the 60mph barrier IS within reach.....[8D]
Old 02-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Kelly Miller

sounds like tj.

I have seen a electric MV go a crack over 50 for short burst. not a lot of tweeking was done to refine the set-up. It was extreemely heavy and really somewhat glued to the water most of the time. I think there is a video someplace of the boat but i don't think it was of the 50+ run. The guy that put it together races mainly open class stuff and did the vegas as a quirk. It would have been interesting to get the boat up clean on the front sponsons and really cut loose. I think the weight of the boat would have been very difficult to turn at spped...it did a lot of spinning out.

Sean has the fastest running vegas (cvr .18..no sponson mods) I have seen and I think to go much faster some mods on the topside.....wing and cowl scoop....would have to be worked on to get much over 50 with a .18 a good hot 21 set-up probably could get over 50. I have thought about JD's sponson mod and thought about ending the running surface about 3\4 of an inch foward of the existing sponson. would this not create a ground effects turbulence under the sponsons thus using some air...which is cheap...to make the weight on the ride points lighter? I like the idea of moving the prop back from the transom an inch. I think the center section is a MAJOR source of drag...I plan on reducing that by at least 1\2......not by planking the outside but by adding material to the inside and sanding down the outside (I would hope to reduce center section with out adding any weight, (hydro junkie reminded me of that one time).....loose the cowl scoop....put on a speedmaster mini hydro rudder.....or something thinner anyway (definately a couple MPH here) with a internal cooling pick-up, I think a tube hanging down is major drag. look at everything that has potential to drag in the water....think about the effects a small weed has on your speed when you pick one up on say the rudder or turn fin. I even thought about changing the front sponson tip and sides bringing them down a crack to grab a little air. someone said one time "air is cheap". My only problem is that time is not and that is what I am at a lack of to get these Mods built into a Vegas.

Sure I would like to see video.......It would let me know I am not crazy to think high 50 is possible.

I think it is one of the great things about this hobby.......it hones our skills to build........or bull****. I have seen both done to the extreeme. dang I could have cut off a cowl scoop in the time it took to type this.

Party on Garth.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:00 PM
needy4speed

regarding speeds and mods...i have heard and read several times of the .21 engine with some mods doing mid 50's..so if someone claims to have gotten 57 whats so outrageous about that...now 67 to me would sound pretty outrageous...anyway lets all just enjoy our hobby... thats what its all about...i am still waiting on 60% boat fuel so i can mix it with my 30%....can anyone recommend best glow plug for stock .18 mv motor...my boat seems to die for know reason after about 4 mins and i always have to wait for it to come close to shore so i can use my fishin pole...right now im using tower plugs...but not sure if thats the problem or not...ch
Old 02-10-2008, 02:23 PM
malicent

Hey kelly,
I did exacty what your talking about with the center section, well kinda, what i did was cut it totally out,

remove the lips off the center section, fit it back in place and re glassed it in

now i think thats what you were talking about.

heres a pic before i saned and printed the bottom

Old 02-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Kelly Miller

That is what I was thinking yes. I could not help but think that leaving some of it would give it a little strength.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:22 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary,(hedache),please check edited post,...[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.