Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:21 PM
ka350kaptain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

ORIGINAL: coyv10

What is the most common prop for the .32.. I am currently running a prather 225 and it is haulin *** going to try the 230 to see if it gets any faster.
Right now, most of us are using an Octura M445, M645, or X645. I am also trying out an ABC H4.

What % nitro are you using?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Dan S

ORIGINAL: 1150ap

Dan s
Hey Dan i was trying to push it out the top i got the piston to stop and about 1/8 from the top of the sleave which tells me that the piston and sleave are good but i can. I ran the boat this past weekend and after the run i could easly turn the prop by hand. I was out running with my friend and his son and they booth have miss elams and their compression was a lot higher than mine and they where alot faster than me which kinda pi$$ed me off elams should not beet a vegas and they where faster thanme by atleast a good 7 mph. But thanks to you guys in this thread i learned a lot i also had a problem with the coupler melting off and after a few laps it would start to like have a bog in the straights so after reading here about the problems with the gas tanks i have changed that out to a 6oz flex tank with the pick up curved over to the bottom of the outside sponson. Thats the way we used to setup our tanks in our riggers.
you don't want to take the piston out from the top of the sleeve (specially if its cold), you want it to come out at the bottom.
the top is where the fit is and as its breaks in the fit will get better and better, if you can take the piston out through the top of the sleeve when cold, the fit is gone.

yes, it is easier to spin it when the engine is hot after a run and yes, you may be able to spin it by the prop, however spinning by the prop is not something I recommend, not good for the flex cable.
you may be just a bit off on the needle or she may not be fully broken in yet.
your pick up should be curved to the left corner (maybe that's what you meant).

Dan.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:41 PM
FX4L2CX
My Feedback: (10)

Dan s
Hey Dan i was trying to push it out the top i got the piston to stop and about 1/8 from the top of the sleave which tells me that the piston and sleave are good but i can. I ran the boat this past weekend and after the run i could easly turn the prop by hand. I was out running with my friend and his son and they booth have miss elams and their compression was a lot higher than mine and they where alot faster than me which kinda pi$$ed me off elams should not beet a vegas and they where faster thanme by atleast a good 7 mph. But thanks to you guys in this thread i learned a lot i also had a problem with the coupler melting off and after a few laps it would start to like have a bog in the straights so after reading here about the problems with the gas tanks i have changed that out to a 6oz flex tank with the pick up curved over to the bottom of the outside sponson. Thats the way we used to setup our tanks in our riggers.
Are you using some type of cooling on your header? ...if you are melting couplers you need to get something to help cool it...when it melts, the hull can fill with exhaust gases and the carb don't like that.. [:'(]
Old 09-26-2009, 09:35 AM
1150ap

ORIGINAL: FX4L2CX

Dan s
Are you using some type of cooling on your header? ...if you are melting couplers you need to get something to help cool it...when it melts, the hull can fill with exhaust gases and the carb don't like that.. [:'(]

i have not had time to go and get some brass tubing to put on the header yet but i did cut out the back of the cowl and also opened up the little scopes on the front of the cowl as well . I am at work right now and if i get out early enough going to try to run it and see what happens it is a nice cool day out here today so that might help but i am going to put hte tube around the header. The stock prop is on there now i have the strut set at 1 1/16. my friend picked me up a grim prop last night so i am going to try and play with that today if i get out on early ("oh i think i am not feeling to good cough cough i think i need to go home" ) hopefuly that will work
Old 09-26-2009, 10:42 AM
1150ap

Has anyone put in the new supertiger engine in a older vegas and if so would the header mate up to the aquacraft engine. Or go with a os cv i want to stay to the .18 size

thanks
Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 AM
coyv10

Refering back to the props, running a .32 that I modded. One head shim and 60% nitro, gps'ed yesterday got 50.5 mhp. This is before the engine was broken in ans still have the carb set very rich.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:35 AM
FX4L2CX

good..lower temps and lower humidity help to make a nitro engine come alive....
Old 09-26-2009, 06:17 PM
coyv10

We have the lower humidity but the temp is 80+. Can't wait for this engine to break in and can start leaning, shooting for 60mph
Old 09-26-2009, 06:22 PM
ka350kaptain

You might be able to get there with 60% and that Prather 230 - this engine has alot of torque!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:28 PM
G.W.
My Feedback: (22)

I put the super tigre in the older vegas and the header does fit.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: G.W.

How does it perform compared to the AQ engine? If you are using the older model header, I take it you are using the old pipe too?

Sean
Old 09-27-2009, 10:29 PM
sheerider1026

good question!!! i have been wondering the same myself.. hey guys, whats the least nitro % you have ran in your boat?? i will be getting a new piston/sleeve for that extra boat i have so the ole lady will have a boat to play with ( yea, she wants one too!) lol.. i figured i would buy some lower nitro fuel just for me and her to play around with at the lake..
Old 09-27-2009, 11:01 PM
FX4L2CX

ORIGINAL: sheerider1026

good question!!! i have been wondering the same myself.. hey guys, whats the least nitro % you have ran in your boat?? i will be getting a new piston/sleeve for that extra boat i have so the ole lady will have a boat to play with ( yea, she wants one too!) lol.. i figured i would buy some lower nitro fuel just for me and her to play around with at the lake..
least amout that I ever tried was 15%....blah..[:'(] barely even ran...just an experiment though..I wouldn't recommend anything under 25-30%
Old 09-28-2009, 05:50 AM
sheerider1026

oh.. so 15% is outta the question then.. .. i usuay run 30%.. so i'll just stick with that..
Old 09-28-2009, 09:27 AM
G.W.
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: Sean Bowf

ORIGINAL: G.W.

How does it perform compared to the AQ engine? If you are using the older model header, I take it you are using the old pipe too?

Sean
Yep, I used the older pipe, too. It was faster than the AQ engine, but I never really ran it much after break in (got a .21) so I never really messed with the pipe at all. With the sponson mods and the ST18, I'll bet it'll really perform. The ST18 could use a better carb, though. I had trouble keeping a consistent high speed needle setting.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:29 PM
sheerider1026

i am telling you guys, you can port the aqua18 yourself and make it run DA* good !! i have pictures of what is needed done if anyone is interested.. i picked up a lot of speed.. more power and rpm out of this little gem..
Old 09-28-2009, 05:24 PM
jcrosk

ORIGINAL: sheerider1026

i am telling you guys, you can port the aqua18 yourself and make it run DA* good !! i have pictures of what is needed done if anyone is interested.. i picked up a lot of speed.. more power and rpm out of this little gem..
Lets see some pics
Old 09-28-2009, 05:47 PM
sheerider1026

ok.. lol.. first you gotta remove the bearings
Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 PM
sheerider1026

next, take a look.. the 2 transfer tunnels in the block have excessive material left from casting that is in the way, here is a before pic.. there are a total of 2 transfer ports
Old 09-28-2009, 05:51 PM
sheerider1026

ok, here is an after picture of the rear transfer port, the second picture is of the front transfer.. the front transfer needs to me curved around the bearing for good flow.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:55 PM
sheerider1026

next is to modify the backing plate.. put the back plate on the motor and look down the cylinder.. you can see how the backing plate blocks the transfer port, here is a pic, the second picture shows how you can cut the backing plate to allow better flow...

Old 09-28-2009, 05:58 PM
sheerider1026

now, the next mod (sorry no pictures) is to clean the block of any shavings.. now install the sleeve into the block.. look at where the exhaust port of the sleeve meets the exhaust port on the block.. the blocks port is much lower than the sleeve.. cut this port (raise it) on the block (not the sleeve). untill it is even with the sleeves port... remove the sleeve before cutting.. this in theory raises the exhaust port giving more topend power and more rpm.. .. the last thing to do (optional) is to knife edge the sides of the rod.. trust me.. these motors respond VERY well to these mods.. i picked up a lot of speed and power.. not to mention i also ported the exhaust header also..
Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM
FX4L2CX

Nice..and thank you for sharing...however.....the weak link in that engine is the crankshaft as I .....and at least 4 others that I know of found out the hard way. The crank will usually break just behind the rear bearing if you mod them too extensively or run too high % nitro...I think I was using 65% when it happened to me.[]
Old 09-28-2009, 07:19 PM
sheerider1026

ouch!! i only run 30% nitro in mine... never a problem.. maybe its a quality control issue? but more heat on an engine increases the risk of failure.. but i am being honest.. after modding this little motor its a LOT faster.. had to go richer on the needle also.. but it runs strong and stays cool.. hopefully someone else will give it a try and give their feedback also.. this engine is made by O.S. .. take a cv motor and a aqua .18 and see what the differences are..
Old 09-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Dan S

the funny thing for me is, I have not broken one crank on my Aqub, I did however broke 2 cranks on the OS CVR-M and my friend 2 or 3 also (all on 35%).

go figure.

Dan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.