Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 158 of 163 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 4068

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

yep 3/16 is close enough, I didnt toss that in but its ben a long day, lol good way to put it-like twisting a towel-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/toyotatruckin
    www.aircapitolhobbies.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

See now that the Aquacraft major engine parts are NLA.

What is the engine replacement of choice? CR-V? TZ? TZ seems to be a lot more work than the CR-V due the changed exhaust port.

I'm still running the Aqua .18 but i'm sure it will need a replacement at some point.....
    Miss Vegas Noob
    Bellevue, WA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tower still sells the piston & sleeve, connecting rod and bearings which are the parts you are most likely to need to rebuild the Aqua 18!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SilentSeven

See now that the Aquacraft major engine parts areΒ* NLA.Β*

What is the engine replacement of choice?Β* CR-V?Β* TZ?Β*Β* TZ seems to be a lot more work than the CR-V due the changed exhaust port.

I'm still running the Aqua .18 but i'm sure it will need a replacement at some point.....

Dynamite .32

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks BeaverBoy... I looked for the second time and see them available. I must have missed in the first look - saw that the motor, head, pipe were NLA. Should have looked closer to see the sleeve and piston.

Finally got and put in my Rum Racing after muffler. Nice..takes the edge off the sound...neighbors are happy!

BTW, one of these day's we'll connect. .

Cheers,

Jeff
    Miss Vegas Noob
    Bellevue, WA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK. Next question.

While running this weekend, the boat conked and a 'helpful' boater decided to retrieve it from me.  Before I could wave him off, he tried to lift the boat out via the antenna.   The antenna severed at the radio box and lost the plastic whip support - old style radio.  Donkey!!

So, couple questions.

How long is the antenna supposed to be?  I'm assuming there is an optimum / desired length based on the frequency. 
    I'm assuming that I can just solder and insulate in a replacement wire, any reason not?

Also, while on the topic, my factory radio box is showing problems with some cracks at the screws.  I'll do an archive search but I'm curious what the best replacement is.  Don't think I saw the box as an orderable part from Aquacraft...??

Cheers,

Jeff

Miss Vegas Noob
    Bellevue, WA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As far as antenna I'm no help, I toss the stock radio as soon as I get it.
    The radio box used to be listed at tower not sure if it still is. You can epoxy a 1\16" or 1\8" thick Aluminum Plate to the bottom of the box to Strengthen and seal it up. A 1" wide X 1\16" or 1|8" strip down each side will work also. If you don't have a Supply House to get the metal from, LOWES or Home Depot often carry a small selection of aluminum stuff.
    Top Speed Hobbies llc. Gotta Need For Speed..
    www.youtube.com/user/topspeedhobbies

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK.  Tried a different search on Tower and found the factory box. 

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMNG3&P=7

...and there are lots of antenna whips and wires at Tower.

Note to self:  Search first, ask second.

Miss Vegas Noob
    Bellevue, WA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Epoxy a 1/16" plywood plate to the bottom of your radio box. End of cracking problems.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

some 1/8 ply and epoxy= permanent fix
    http://www.youtube.com/user/toyotatruckin
    www.aircapitolhobbies.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BTW...just to keep the thread rollin'

So I've been slowly adjusting and sorting my original Miss Vegas.  No serious mods - just an upgraded fuel tank, an Octura Y535 prop, and some careful 'blueprinting' of stuff.  Cut the rudder a bit, sharpened the strut and skid find, sanded the bottom, pulled the head shim, all that. 

Boat's finally starting to scoot along.  No GPS but it's clearly going much better than before.  This weekend I tucked the stock skid fin in from vertical to maybe 15 degress tuck.  Whoa.  That sure made a difference!  Also disassembled the carb and adjusted all the linkages so that at WOT the throttle plate would correctly open.  Again, nice little pickup.

Next may be the sponson mods....

Be nice if I had a good way to measure the speed. 

Anyways, fun little boat...enjoying playing with it.
    Miss Vegas Noob
    Bellevue, WA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Next comes the trying out of different props, strut depth settings and nitro percentage...all fun. Later on, you may have to elongate the slot in the strut for higher settings if needed, but that's down the road if you ever get a more powerful engine that can pull a bigger prop.

Kevin
    Miss Vegas w/.18TZ , JAE 12 w/.18TZ
    Shrike 10 w/Cox/RJL .15 Conquest, Shrike 40 w/7.5Df, Shrike 10 w/RB .12 serpent.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can usually get Reman Garmin units on eBay for a good price. I use the ForeTrex 101, got it about 3yr ago as a Remanufactured Unit for around $60. There Small, Light, WaterProof, and A Garmin.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Kevin.

I have been playing with the depth a bit and am pretty much all the up on the factory slot.  Yes, have thought of making the slot a bit longer to try a tad higher setting.  Also have marked the strut so I can better assess the strut angle.  Am finding it seems to run best with a bit of positive angle to air it out somewhat.  Again...lot's of playing I can do.

Have not messed much with fuel.  Just running 30% nitro which is the max my LHS has.  Beaverboy - near me - has a shop with 50% and I think that's the next gallon I buy.

Can you pickup much with glow plug changes?  That seems to me like the 'timing' of the motor but haven't seem much written on that (or searched much).

Likely the smartest thing I can do is go meet up with Beaverboy and JD and see what they are doing relative to my homebrew setup.  That alone would eliminate years of trial and error.

Amax - thanks for tip on the Garmin rigs.  I'll check it out!

Miss Vegas Noob
    Bellevue, WA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glow Plug Heat Range is Mostly determined by Nitro %, the Higher the Nitro % the Colder The Plug. Oil%, Humidity, and altitude can also affect your choice, but a Good Starting Point is,,
    Low Nitro less than 30% = Hot Plug (MC8)
    Med Nitro 30% to 50% = Med\Standerd Plug (MC59)
    High Nitro 50% and Up = Cold Plug (MC9)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Kevin.

I have been playing with the depth a bit and am pretty much all the up on the factory slot.Β* Yes, have thought of making the slot a bit longer to try a tad higher setting.Β* Also have marked the strut so I can better assess the strut angle.Β* Am finding it seems to run best with a bit of positive angle to air it out somewhat.Β* Again...lot's of playing I can do.

Have not messed much with fuel.Β* Just running 30% nitro which is the max my LHS has.Β* Beaverboy - near me - has a shop with 50% and I think that's the next gallon I buy.

Can you pickup much with glow plug changes?Β* That seems to me like the 'timing' of the motor but haven't seem much written on that (or searched much).

Likely the smartest thing I can do is go meet up with Beaverboy and JD and see what they are doing relative to my homebrew setup.Β* That alone would eliminate years of trial and error.

Amax - thanks for tip on the Garmin rigs.Β* I'll check it out!

Next race in the Puget Sound area - July 17/18 at Lake Waughop, Ft. Steilacoom Park, Lakewood, WA. I will be there.

JD

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Jerry...might just be able to pull that one off.   No weekend plans yet by SWMBO.
    Miss Vegas Noob
    Bellevue, WA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got to run the boat again this weekend, couple questions on glowplugs.....

First, is there anything to avoid that is more likely than not to 'kill' a glowplug? For example, I had a few kids who were interested in the hydro and so I gave them some turns to run the boat. They were being good and not running the boat full speed. We ran a few lap and came in to refuel and *zot* - boat wouldn't restart and the ignitor showed a bad plug.

Put in a new OS#8 plug and did the same thing. A few more laps and zot - dead plug. Is there something going on here? Is there a 'right way' to run the boat and shut down the boat to make the plug run longer?

Also, noticed that when I went from plug #1 to plug #2 above, the boat ran much slower..... Both plugs where OS#8's. The first plug - the fast one - was well used and the second plug - new - didn't last and was much slower. No other changes were done between runs. What gives?

Boat setup details...

- Aqua .18 engine, head shim pulled, stock otherwise. 30% nitro. Boat runs a fuel filter. Fuel is Blue Thunder brand.

Cheers!

Jeff
    Miss Vegas Noob
    Bellevue, WA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It sounds like you may be running to lean, Was the coil in the glow plug Distorted or did it still look like a spring?
    The first thing to do with a New Glow plug before you install it is Light it up Red Hot with the igniter, let it cool for a few seconds then install it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply.

The first one - the fast one - a little distorted.  The second one - slow one - looked like it came right out of the box.
    Miss Vegas Noob
    Bellevue, WA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep your to lean. What was the engine temp at the glow plug?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No engine temp gauge so I can't tell that.

OK - understand that if the coil is distorted, it's lean.  Can you explain what happened with the second plug?
    Miss Vegas Noob
    Bellevue, WA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When the engine is running lean it burns a greater amount of the fuel and oil mixture in the chamber so there's less Unburnt mixture to leave Deposits behind. The first plug was used on a previous day when atmospheric conditions allowed the same settings to be Rich, which left Deposits behind on the plug discoloring it, the more deposits left behind(Richer) the darker the plug gets. When the engine runs Leaner the deposits left on the coil become Hot Spots which causes the coil to distort and eventually fail.
    Many factors affect the Air\Fuel Mixture such as: Air Temp, Water Temp, Humidity, Barometric Pressure, etc.. What is on the money one day won't be the next. What is on the money in the morning at 70*F won't be in the afternoon at 90*F.
    Engine temp is One Of the ways to diagnose engine tuning issues. As you run and learn your engine you will find it has a engine temp it runs best at(Sweet Spot). Engine Temp is Greatly affected by Fuel Mixture, Leaner is Hotter, Richer is Cooler. You tune the engine accordingly to achieve the target temp(Sweet Spot). You measure engine temp at the glow plug, and in most cases it will be between 160*F and 190*F.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK. I'm with you on the leaner is hotter, richer is cooler discussion. Understand a bit on the plug distortion discussion - it's tied to the day to day variance of rich / lean.

My takeaways seem to be this :
    - If the engine is "too lean", then the plug doesn't tend to last.
    - Going from rich to lean seems to be a sure way to expire the plug faster.

What this doesn't much explain is why the boat ran so much slower when fast plug A died and I swapped in new plug B and boat went from quite fast to sort of pokey. The span of time was less than 10 minutes. Exact same plug. Exact same day. Exact same air pressure....blah blah blah...

Not sure how one really tunes the A/F mixture correctly short of understanding the correct target head temp and doing some trial and error with the needle each day to get it there. Yikes...that's a bit messy!
    Miss Vegas Noob
    Bellevue, WA

Got to run the boat again this weekend, couple questions on glowplugs.....

First, is there anything to avoid that is more likely than not to 'kill' a glowplug? Β* For example, I had a few kids who were interested in the hydro and so I gave them some turns to run the boat. Β*They were being good and not running the boat full speed. Β*We ran a few lap and came in to refuel and *zot* - boat wouldn't restart and the ignitor showed a bad plug. Β*

Put in a new OS#8 plug and did the same thing. Β*A few more laps and zot - dead plug. Β* Is there something going on here? Β*Is there a 'right way' to run the boat and shut down the boat to make the plug run longer?

Also, noticed that when I went from plug #1 to plug #2 above, the boat ran much slower..... Both plugs where OS#8's. Β*The first plug - the fast one - was well used and the second plug - new - didn't last and was much slower. Β*No other changes were done between runs. Β*What gives?

Boat setup details...

- Aqua .18 engine, head shim pulled, stock otherwise. Β*30% nitro. Β*Boat runs a fuel filter. Β*Fuel is Blue Thunder brand. Β*

Cheers!

Jeff
    It's always something simple, don't over think it. Check your fuel lines for holes and your filter for trash. And make sure the fuel lid is closed tight on the tank.