Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Old 06-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Russ Williamson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

After running gallons and gallons of 65% fuel in the Miss Vegas over the last year, like to share a few tips for starting, running and modifying that has increased the performance and user friendliness;

1. Turn Fin - get the Grim 15/18 Hydro Turn fin. Makes a huge difference. The turn fins will be available in about 10 - 14 days.
When manufacturing the turn fins, the leading edge is pre-sharpened. However, it is not feasible to also have the bottom sharpened during manufacturing. Good news, this is easy to do and makes a difference. Take a moto-tool and carefully grind the bottom of the turn fin (from the outside in) making a good sharp edge. Be sure not to change the shape of the cup when taking the flat edge off the bottom of the turn fin.
In the instructions for the turn fins (for our AquaCraft hydros plus the 1/12 LLmar and Elam) you will easily see how the turn fin mounts to the hull. We made so you can just remove your old turn fin, and bolt the new directly in the original mounting locations.

2. Additional sealer inside of hull; It is a good idea to take 30-minute epoxy and thin in down with alcohol and put an additional coat of epoxy between the back of engine to the front of fuel tank. It is best to remove the fuel tank and engine to do this. By making this mod, makes it easier to clean the inside of the hull.

3. Rudder; Even though the rudder has a decent leading edge shape, take and sharpen the leading edge of the rudder. Also, taper the bottom of the rudder to remove the flat area.
You can also take 400 grit sandpaper and smooth the surface. The bead blasting looks really good and this is mainly personal preference.

4. Strut; Leading edge of the rudder also has a good taper already made into it. However, it can be made sharper.

5. Bottom of hull; Get 600 grit wet-dry sandpaper and sand the clear coat off the bottom of the hull and the sponsons. No need to take it down to the fiberglass, just remove the clear coat.

6. Tuned Pipe; Remove the tuned pipe and cut off 1/4!QUOT!. This will relieve the tension that is on the exhaust mounting block in the hull.

7. Strut bracket; If your strut bracket is assembled with the head of the adjustment bolt facing the rudder, remove the brackets and install so the bolt is on the opposite side. Makes it easier to get the head of the bolt to make adjustments.

8. Engine; It can be made to create even more power by.......oh....I can't recommend that, it will void the warranty

9. Prop; Sure wish there was something easily available......maybe there will be sometime this year

10. Fuel; Burn 30% O'Donnell boat fuel, it does make a difference. The higher nitro that you can afford, the faster you will go.

11. Glow Plug; Red dot O'Donnell sport plug works great!

12. Tuning engine; Be sure to start off rich and start leaning it down a little at time. If using the correct fuel, the engine will !QUOT!sag!QUOT! when you hit a lean setting. When that happens, richen 1/16 to 1/8 turn. Remember, pending on the day, you will need to slightly adjust pending on the air temp, etc.

Hope this helps. I'm having a blast with the Miss Vegas. There will be many at the IMPBA Internats next week in Evansville, IN. We (Grimracer, Jerry Dunlap and myself) are hosting an AquaCraft Challenge IROC type of race were teams have been selected and they will run many rounds against each other, using a different Miss Vegas each round. Winners will be those who turn in the most laps after 4 rounds.
Then we are hosting a !QUOT!Champions!QUOT! Challenge. This will be 6 of the top US-1 National Champions going head to head with IROC Miss Vegas hydros. It will be a site to see. It will be a lot of work for us to keep them all going, but worth it!)
Thanks to the Evansville Club for allowing us to work in this event during the Nationals!

Have fun all~!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: AquaCraft U-18 Miss Vegas Hydro Thread_Make it Fast!

Russ, great tips and show us some pix from Evansville!
I was wondering if you guys were going to do the IROC type racing again this year as it's been popular before at the Nat's and Internat's.
When I get mine I'll have to find out what number 8 is as I don't worry about warranties. I don't think that the stocker would stay long in there anyway.
Oh yeah, don't make me jealous by coming out with custom painted boats for the "IROC".
Work on getting some Aquacraft or Aquacraft/Grimracer T-shirts and hats. My Grimracer T's are getting worn out. As a matter of fact, I'm wearing one now. I ought to save it as a collectable.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:04 AM
t munn
My Feedback: (2)

russ, any update on the yellow and red miss vegas.

i received mine and as you thought they are both orange and white and the same channel.

i am dissapointed.[]

Great thread by the way for those that have the boats
Terry
Old 06-07-2006, 11:08 AM
t munn

russ, any update on the yellow and red miss vegas.

i received mine and as you thought they are both orange and white and the same channel.

i am dissapointed.[]

Great thread by the way for those that have the boats
Terry
Old 06-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Russ Williamson

The white, yellow and red hulls should arrive in about 2-weeks.

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:07 PM
babflyer

I like idea number 2 and 7. Those are little tips that will make the boat better that aren't really related to speed. I thought about that bolt being turned the way it was on the strut and the idea that had poped in my head was to see if I could drill an access hole in the rudder mount to get at it with an allen wrench but to simply flip it is much nicer. Would love to run my boat this week but they have seminars and stuff at work this week and I need to go mow my runway and practice for this weekends imac contest. I think it was tmunn who asked if I being a regular joe around boats could list what I found needed or would be esiest to work on while the boat was new. Well my boat ran fine really right out of the box except for changing the prop strut depth and angle, I tried to match what jd had posted about depth on here before I recieved mine. The only thing that I have had happen that could have been avoided is the pipe length and the mounting points causing a problem so I would get that changed before you ever start the engine if I had to do over. Either by changing the mounting block or shortening the pipe. As far as the motor mount screws I would give them a check after every few runs while new as I think motor vibration, water, ect. will cause it to loosen up a little within the first gallon of fuel. After that hopefully things will stay tight. Like any glow powered arf, check all screws and bolts, anything that should have locktite you should check for yourself. I know that it should be done for you but its kind of an unwritten rule that the owner really should check that stuff or else not complain about it when bolts fall out. Seems wrong but thats just the way it seems to be. I like this boat more and more all the time. I still have to change the rudder servo on my llumar, been putting it off becuase of the work involved. I think I could swap every part out on my vegas in less time than it will take me to change the rudder servo on my llumar. Never liked my t-maxx becuase of the cramped quarters, love my mgt thats a little more open and way easier to work on to.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:46 PM
redneckUSCG

this is my new baby. i love this boat to death. im running a x-437/3 with the .18cvx and 65%nitro.

u can see i drilled out the strut so i could get the prop more out of the water. i also polished all the hardware. i installed my fullers mono turn fin and it made all the differince in the world.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58682.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	474423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98909.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	474424  
Old 06-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Jerry Dunlap

I was out testing different props today and was surprised how many 3.5 size props the stock 18 engine will pull. I ran a full X637. Running 3/16" diameter props requires a 1/8" brass tube spacer over the 1/8" drive shaft.

Another prop that I liked with the stock 18 was the Octura M435/3. This prop fits on a 1/8" shaft.

JD
AquaCraft Models
Old 06-08-2006, 04:21 PM
redneckUSCG

jerry did you see the cut i have on that prop. it was better than the x440 cut down but it still did not seem to want to rev out
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80195.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	474434  
Old 06-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Jerry Dunlap

The X437/3 is still a lot prop for a 18 size engine. Hard to tell exactly what you did from the photo. However, if you were to back cut the blades 1/8" into the hub and straight back to the tip, that would allow the engine to rev up.

JD
AquaCraft Models

Old 06-08-2006, 04:41 PM
redneckUSCG

are u taliking about the leading edge or the trailing edge
Old 06-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Jerry Dunlap

"Back cutting" refers to removing material from the trailing edge. Removing some of the "tongue" from the leading edge will also allow reduce the load on the engine. The M Series from Octura has the leading edge "tongue" reduced.

FYI, I'm running a X437/3 on my MAC 21 powered Sport 20.

JD
AquaCraft Models
Old 06-08-2006, 05:27 PM
Jerry Dunlap

I just replied to a cooling issue on another strand and it reminded me of something that happened while I was running a Miss Vegas today. The boat would run strong from about a minute and then slow. It didn't stop, just slowed.

I brought the boat in and richened the HSN 1/8 and ran it again. This time the boat held the speed for the entire time of the run(probably 4 or 5 miuntes) before I brought it back to shore.

And, this engine had some time one it. It's been mentioned before, but if you notice a decrease in speed bring the boat in and richen the mixture.

JD
AquaCraft Models
Old 06-08-2006, 05:28 PM
redneckUSCG

wow i do have to much prop. i thought the x440 was alittle to much. i do have a bit of the tip cut down but not enough to make a difference in diameter. the next prop i was gona tri was the v937/3 but it sounds like way to much. octura just come out with the v935/3. what is ur take on a low diameter high pitch prop on the vegas. i whant to go to a mac 21 when i get some money together and get board of woopen up on miss buds and lumars than i can compete with some real boats.

ps remember i have a os .18 cvw not the stocker .18. i also threw out the stock pipe and put in a macs 3.5 pipe
Old 06-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Jerry Dunlap

I have not had any success running V Series props on hydros. That's just my experience. I always thought the V props would work great in a blender.

JD
AquaCraft Models
Old 06-08-2006, 10:25 PM
redneckUSCG

i dont know they just look realy aggresive and a fast looking shape but i imagine the would be better on a mono

what about other manufactuers. i have run a prather 215 but it was crapp.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Ron Olson

I was kind of wondering about the new Octura V-935/3 until Jerry brought up having problems with the "V" series props.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:52 PM
redneckUSCG

i was talking to my buddy that works at the hobby shop and they just got a flyer from octura and they are coming out with a v935/3 with a 1/8" shaft.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Jerry Dunlap

Maybe someone has had success with V series props. I haven't. I like Octura props. They work for me and you can bend and bang them every which way.

JD
AquaCraft Models.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Ron Olson

I've tried the V-937/3 on my .12 'riggers. They seem to need to be run at almost wide open all of the time once the boat gets up on plane otherwise it's a bear to get them up again once you've gotten off plane.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:26 AM
redneckUSCG

i have that problem with all props with the vegas. if that engine falles off the pipe it is a bi@#h to get back on. i dont think its the prop all the way i think its just the nature of a 2 stroke. i like the 3 blade over the 2 blade. it pulles out of the corners better than the 2 blade an is a little faster.i am not sure if its just the cut i did but it works damd well and have no complaints.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Ron Olson

The 3-blade props will help to hold the rear-end up as you have one blade in the water at all times.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:49 PM
rtayloria

Gentlemen,
I just recently purchased the Miss Vegas and had a question as the boating club that I joined has some pretty die hard members and have instructed me to purchase a metal prop for the stock Miss Vegas. I do not intend to upgrade from the 18 to the 21 any time soon, but I am runnning this boat almost daily. The issue I have with the stock prop is not only bad cavitation in corners, but also the front end wants to take off from the water like a RC plane. They have mentioned that before a race (Mainlky Southeast IMPBA) they order all new props from someone in the business in California that shapes, and polishes props. My issue is that I did not get the information from them as to where to order these from online. Any input or suggestions where I might order a good prop for the 18 shaped, and polished that doesnt take forever? I am dieing to see what this boat will do as it wants to fly with the stock prop. If so please respond on this post or email me at rtayloria@yahoo with the person or company and which prop to order, any help at this point would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Rtaylor
Old 06-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Jerry Dunlap

The metal Octura Y535 works well. This prop can be ordered directly from Octura Models (847) 674-7351.

JD
AquaCraft Models
Old 06-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Ron Olson

Try www.cmdracing.com for one ready to bolt on. Go To "Dockside" then to the (I think) "Prop Locker" at the left side. It will download a .pdf that is updated daily. You can request props also.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.