Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Servos for small nitro hydroplane?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Servos for small nitro hydroplane?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:35 AM
007clint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos for small nitro hydroplane?

I have a small nitro hydroplane with two Futuba 44 oz-in (0.23 sec/60 deg) servos (rudder & throttle).
I want to add 1 or 2 more servos.

1) Can I just swap the 2 standard servos out for 3-4 MICRO servos (as long as they have the same or better torque & speed ratings)?
2) Do servo brand names really matter (I have a NOVAK SYNTHESIZED receiver)?
3) Couldn't I use lessor torque ratings for throttle control and mixture control?
4) BB, metal gears, and/or digital?
5) The ads show specialized servos, do nitro boats really have different needs than planes, helis, or cars?

Being new, lots of questions - I need a book! (suggestions?) [8D]
Thanks for your patience!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servos for small nitro hydroplane?

First of all, what are you considering small? Is it in the .21 category for engine size or larger? Why are you changing servos and why more than two? If you are thinking of ganging servos for the rudder, the complexity of linkage and syncronizing the servos is not worth it or even necessary. Many boaters seem to think you need high power servos for boats. I disagree. Depending on the size, and you mentioned "small", some of the high torque "mini" servos are perfectly adequate for the rudder. That being in the range of 40 to 60 oz. in. of torque. The throttle servo can be a micro servo with 15 to 25 oz. in. of torque. Any brand servo that is compatable with your receiver connectors will work. Hitec for instance has a large variety of servos for all radio brands. Gear type is up to you. Metal is durable but wears, nylon is fine for the throttle and works for the rudder also (been using them for years). And last, a servo is a servo is a servo. There are some that are geared for specialty applications like winches and robots but when you are talking standard style servos they can be used in planes, boats, helicopters or whatever.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

In my .12 powered boats I've been using the Hi-tec HS-81MG servos, the plastic ones will strip the gears too quickly. I've tried the 225's also for a little more torque for the rudder.
So to answer you
1) yes.
2) most servos are now compatable with most radio systems.
3) you can but watch out for the above paragraph.
4) BB and metal gears are fine, digital if you can afford them but not neccessary depending on your radio system.
5) not for nitro boats but I have been looking at the low profile aileron servos.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:59 AM
toyotatruckin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use standard servos on rudder and hs-81 Plastic gear on throttle no need for metal on a throttle if your binding up than the plastic will strip but with the metal if you bind you could just burn up the servo, The key here is to have everything set up right! not much needed to open and close a throttle...